Do I want an iMac?

What's Hot
Well?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    edited October 2013
    Depends on how hairy your legs are.

Well, if you will remove facepalms you've got to expect this kind of comment, your fault mods.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    The question is do you want a 21.5" or a 27"?

Make sure you specify a fusion drive though :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Not if you want to upgrade the hard drive yourself ever:

Pizza cutter

:-S
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24250
    wibble said:
    The question is do you want a 21.5" or a 27"?

Make sure you specify a fusion drive though :)

27 obviously!
  • Wait for the new power mac pros .
    Wait for the new power mac pros .

Too expensive.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    edited October 2013
    If you think you want an iMac, ask yourself - are you the sort of person who will buy a computer, use it for three to five years or maybe a bit more until it becomes outdated (with software upgrades along the way but no more than that) and then replace it, or are you the sort of person who wants a platform they can continually upgrade.

If you're the former sort, work out what spec of iMac you want and buy it, new, with Applecare. If you're the latter, don't buy an iMac.

They are not *impossible* to get apart and work on, but they're very hard/scary/warranty-invalidating for anyone not intimately familiar with the inner workings of computers.

You can upgrade the RAM on most of them but that's about as far as it goes.

I'm happy with my iMac and intend to buy another one in about two to four years ;). I've had four so far - and an eMac, which was very similar and which I still have. I looked inside the eMac the other day to see if I could swap the hard drive, and decided to leave well alone :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33792
    Wait for the new power mac pros .

Too expensive.
    Mac Mini and a separate monitor?
    Or a Macbook Air/Pro and a separate monitor?

iMacs are great though.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    ICBM said:
    They are not *impossible* to get apart and work on, but they're very hard/scary/warranty-invalidating for anyone not intimately familiar with the inner workings of computers.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/25/macbook_pro_2013_teardowns/

They're getting worse.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    scrumhalf said:

They're getting worse.
    I know. It's like modern cars…

It actually doesn't bother me as long as I get three years of warrantied operation. Not my problem if something goes wrong. Any lifespan after that is a bonus, and if it does die at least having a go at fixing it is a shot to nothing. If it's not fixable, buy a new one - it will be out of date by then anyway, three years is two cycles of Moore's Law.

I know, this is a horrible throwaway attitude and is completely at odds with almost everything I believe in in other areas (and what pays my wages), but it's just the way of the world with high-tech stuff.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Yes of course you do, or you wouldn't be asking.  Get on with it.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    If you think you want an iMac, ask yourself - are you the sort of person who will buy a computer, use it for three to five years or maybe a bit more until it becomes outdated (with software upgrades along the way but no more than that) and then replace it, or are you the sort of person who wants a platform they can continually upgrade.

If you're the former sort, work out what spec of iMac you want and buy it, new, with Applecare. If you're the latter, don't buy an iMac.

You can upgrade the RAM on most of them but that's about as far as it goes.

I'm happy with my iMac and intend to buy another one in about two to four years ;). I've had four so far - and an eMac, which was very similar and which I still have. I looked inside the eMac the other day to see if I could swap the hard drive, and decided to leave well alone :).

Deffo person 1. Happy with no upgrades. Play station for gaming etc.