SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS- 1977 Fender Strat

spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
edited November 2013 in Guitars £
Not something I want to do but a lower credit card balance is needed and this hasn't been played in ages.

My beloved 77 Strat is up for grabs. Mostly original apart from the scratchplate/ pickups. They had been replaced by some hot rails when I got it. I promptly swapped those out for some old Fender US pickups I had and it was much better for it. Sounds awesome. Had it set up recently by Stu at Electro Music and it now plays amazingly well.

Unlike a lot of late 70's Strats I've played this one is light (I have no scales I'm afraid but around the same as std) and has great body contours. Most of the ones I've seen were very slab like. Worn in all the right places it has a whole load of personality.
£1000 shipped.

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af135/roscoe2911/C3E757C4-8ADE-4FF3-BCA2-EF876A48049F-2051-00000173B0E2ADFA_zpsa303347e.jpg
http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af135/roscoe2911/D9F2717F-8407-4801-8222-6CE77FEFE371-2051-00000173C3FE4DAA_zps3bbbb803.jpg
http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af135/roscoe2911/5760AE51-B44C-4042-ABD3-469E2EA3D99C-2051-00000173BB0ABCBC_zps421e2e33.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    Just wanted to chime in and say that I've done a couple of deals with Ross (Spacecadet) and he's been a good guy to deal with.

Even if he has stuck this up in the wrong sub forum ;-)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    I'd guess that could be a re-finish, or the body might even be older than the neck - as far as I know red wasn't available in '77, and you're quite right that most of them are heavy and 'blocky'. The colour and texture of the finish looks almost identical to a '66 Mustang I had - although if it has a tilt neck it must be 70s. If it's a refinish it could have been re-contoured as part of the process - I did that to one. It knocked a substantial amount of weight off the body as well as making it sound better - I think the original 'Thick Skin' finish alone may have weighed nearly half a pound :).

Even if either of those things is the case it's probably a much better guitar than most '77 Strats. It might not be "worth" as much to a collector (although if the body actually is older it may be) but it should be worth *more* to a player.

One of the string trees isn't original either ;). [/pedant]

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DrBob said:
    Just wanted to chime in and say that I've done a couple of deals with Ross (Spacecadet) and he's been a good guy to deal with.

Even if he has stuck this up in the wrong sub forum ;-)
    FFS! I keep doing that. Cheers pal. ;-)
  • ICBM said:
    I'd guess that could be a re-finish, or the body might even be older than the neck - as far as I know red wasn't available in '77, and you're quite right that most of them are heavy and 'blocky'. The colour and texture of the finish looks almost identical to a '66 Mustang I had - although if it has a tilt neck it must be 70s. If it's a refinish it could have been re-contoured as part of the process - I did that to one. It knocked a substantial amount of weight off the body as well as making it sound better - I think the original 'Thick Skin' finish alone may have weighed nearly half a pound :).

Even if either of those things is the case it's probably a much better guitar than most '77 Strats. It might not be "worth" as much to a collector (although if the body actually is older it may be) but it should be worth *more* to a player.

One of the string trees isn't original either ;). [/pedant]
    Well spotted and completely forgotten about. It was missing one so just chucked a generic Fender one on.

Colour wise I have a seen a couple of red ones but mostly natural with a few mocha and green ones around. Pretty sure there is a red one in CC Music. Not many 77's either. Loads of 74, 76, 78 79's. 77 must have been a slow year. It's certainly a players guitar and not a collectors piece. I've played much much worse guitars from the Fender Custom Shop that were several times the price. And of course it goes without saying the value on this will only increase. Oh, I just said it.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    My 76 Precision looks like it could have originally been the same shade.
    Glwts!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    I'll have the Tele next to it for £4.99 please, when can I collect :)

• Possible trade I'm considering but still for sale for now.
  • Busy week bump.
  • Bump with a price drop down to £1k.