Songs you're learning.

What's Hot
mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    awesome….
    one of my students has just learned Holy Diver..
    and I thought that it had so many interesting and challenging snippets to offer in a technical sense, I'm about to bung it at two others..
    it's a great solo, and in places, far trickier than it sounds..

play every note as if it were your first
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

@Clarky there's some  great sounding, fairly simple harmony licks in Flight of Icarus too.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Holy Wars... The Punishment Due.

Properly, no more fudging it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mike_l said:

@Clarky there's some  great sounding, fairly simple harmony licks in Flight of Icarus too.

that's actually one of my fave Maiden tracks..
    Clarky said:
    mike_l said:

that's actually one of my fave Maiden tracks..
    a couple of my students are working on these:

Lamb of God: Walk With Me In Hell [awesome riffing, wonderful solo, really superb bass part too]
    Pink Floyd: Shine On You Crazy Diamond [a great big catalogue of great licks that you can re-use in pretty much any setting]
    Journey: Dead Or Alive [my bass student nailed this at full speed tonight… awesome stuff.. it's a right handful]

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    For me Judas Priest - Desert Plains - I can play the solo up to speed but haven't got it memorised perfectly yet.
    Andy Timmons - Slips Away - just the second solo.  Pretty much got it down but need to get it memorised and up to speed.  I can play it at 95% tempo.
    DLM said:

That's on my list, working on my picking accuracy and speed, then I'll start on it.

• nickpnickp Frets: 183
    @mike_l - by and large I can play songs that sound difficult when you listen to them but I don't recon my chops are up to those two.. I do luve em both though.

currently finishing a giggable hotel california, tiger feet and about to look at:

mr brightside for the band

and for me:

cause we've ended as lovers

pride n joy (srv) - i started this some time ago and have put it on the back burner - getting the shuffle nailed properly with attitude is something that I@m not finding easy at all

nickp said:
    @mike_l - by and large I can play songs that sound difficult when you listen to them but I don't recon my chops are up to those two.. I do luve em both though.

The outro harmony in FOI is actually very simple, getting it as tight as Dave and Adrian takes the time and effort.

I'll work on HD once I can get some proper practise in, when my shoulder is fully healed. I got the basic riffs down, the subtlties in each run through is the awkward bit there, and I havent even started looking at the solo yet......

DLM said:

Just had a look at the tab for this and the rhythm looks ok but the solo.. no way.
    Been learning Billy Idol - Speed and Billy Idol - Do Not Stand In the Shadows.  I have both rhythm parts down OK and up to the same speed as the original records.  The solo in Speed has some very tricky licks, and a pinched harmonic lick that just isn't right in the transcription I have so I just improvise around it.  

The transcription I have for Do Not Stand in the Shadows is quite old.  The rhythm parts are basic so I had to work them out by ear.  The solo transcription was OK in some parts but other parts were completely off so I had to spend some time figuring them out also.  Both songs have been a good learning experience.  
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30858
    Been working on 'Times They Are A'Changing' but some hugely complex chord changes there so may need help.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5140
    I'm still trying to nail 'Michael row the boat ashore' that and Shine on you crazy Diamond  :)
  • Still working on the second half of Baa Baa Black Sheep...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Still working on the second half of Baa Baa Black Sheep...

One day, when my technique is up to it............

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Currently learning to sing and play Nutshell by Alice In Chains and Disarm by the Smashing Pumpkins.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    respect to all of you...

i personally dont have the patience of learning covers...the most i can do a riff or a part of a song that i really like...
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16290
    Quite interested in wether peeps are learning stuff off tab or video or by ear or whatever combination.

I had a go, by ear FWIW, at The Selecter version of Because the Night which is an intro riff plus rhythm parts and that's quite cool and simple, also neat to widdle some minor pentatonics over. I'm rarely motivated to learn a song unless I think it has band use or, like Sam, I might just learn a cool riff. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Quite interested in wether peeps are learning stuff off tab or video or by ear or whatever combination.

Combination of them for me.

I'm trying to do FOI by ear, but have the tab book for when I get stuck. HD I'm doing the same, but have the Lick Library DVD for when I get stuck.

I had a go, by ear FWIW, at The Selecter version of Because the Night which is an intro riff plus rhythm parts and that's quite cool and simple, also neat to widdle some minor pentatonics over. I'm rarely motivated to learn a song unless I think it has band use or, like Sam, I might just learn a cool riff. 
    Mostly tab for me.  If I can't get the tab, then I'll try to work it out myself.