DRRi dirt

What's Hot
bigfuzzbigfuzz Frets: 45
So I've had my DRRi about 6 months now and it's definitely one of those amps I'll keep (for a longer time than most anyway!). The only drawback is the dirtier side of things, the vibrato channel seems to be troublesome with matching a decent dirt/fuzz tone. I've got a monte allums SD1 and it just doesn't seem to do it for me, it was only ever a cheap 'doing a job for now' pedal anyway. 

I'm after something with the gain on tap for relatively low crunch, thick sounding but can be controlled with your picking action/vol knob etc. 

Idea is to have a low gain drive pedal and then layer a thicker fuzz on the top when I feel ambitious?

Suggestions from owners out there?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Xotic BB Preamp would do the job nicely.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bigfuzzbigfuzz Frets: 45
    What kinda budget would I need for the BB?
    ok i should've probably moved this to FX..
  • My supersonic is a bit DRRI In flavour

The bb works well as does the subdecay liquid sunshine, and the mini germanium fuzz face
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    OCD may be worth a try.  Cleans up well with picking action/volume knob.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited October 2013

If you are effectively looking for a second channel for your amp with dirt into the clean then the Blackstar HT-Drive is worth a look and goes very cheap now.  The OCD as Crunchman mentioned is a good shout.  It does depend on what kind of dirt you are after obviously.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316

Pedals I used with the DRRI are, TS808 (or anything similar), OCD, klon centaur clone, rat, barber small fry, plus a bunch of others I can't remember.

always thought it was a good pedal plaform.  but you could change the speaker if you want to ge tthe best out of it.  whacking in a eminence cannabis rex or celestion alnico gold will make a mahoosive difference to the amp in my experience.

I've contemplated the OCD a few times in the past and the idea of it sounds great, however I only really liked it when it was wide open marshall punch. The liquid sunshine could be interesting, never come across it before. 

any other thoughts welcomed guys
    the 2nd channel on the amp comment is about right..at the end of the day i'll be layering a fuzz (or 2) on top
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    You absolutely need a Liquid Sunshine. 

Not only does it work very well into a bright Fendery amp for a light tweedy OD it also makes pedals that don't work with Fendery amps (like fuzzboxes) sound good when stacked into the LS.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Fender amps love Tube Screamers, Zendrives and Klon's best to my ears.
    There are loads of options- try a bunch at once and then decide.

Or do what many people do which is to obsessively trade one for another in an endless process that has you questioning why you got rid of X pedal, never having compared them in the same room at the same time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @octatonic this sounds about right haha. I've been considering some klon clones, I'd really need to give one a go before investing the funds, which is the biggest issue right now. 

watching a couple videos on the subdecay now, very interesting
  • I like to use an OD pedal in normal channel for a drier old school rock tone, and keep vibrato channel for clean tones. with an AB pedal.
    liquid sunshine or a klone clone? hmm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Mesa V-Twin.

They're huge, very expensive now and need their own special power supply, but they sound fantastic into BF Fenders. And not necessarily just for sounding like a Mesa! (Actually quite Marshally, if you keep the bass down.) The V-1 is great too and has more of an old-school Boogie sound.

They also make any other normally too-edgy distortion or fuzz sound great when stacked into them.

I like to use an OD pedal in normal channel for a drier old school rock tone, and keep vibrato channel for clean tones. with an AB pedal.
    That's also a really good way of doing it. If you want a bit of reverb on the Normal channel, you can jumper from the #2 input to the Vibrato channel, and keep the Vibrato channel volume low - too high and it will sound odd because the channels are out of phase. If you want to use the Vibrato channel for clean as well, you'd probably have to put a volume pedal or volume box in the link from Normal to Vibrato, to reduce the level - a bit complicated but it should work.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• MosfedMosfed Frets: 25
    AS mentioned - in my experience - Fenders absolutely love Ibanez Tube Screamers - TS808 or TS9.  I found mine sounded a lot better after going to AnalogMan and getting one of his mods.  The Keeley mods are also excellent.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    It's all personal opinion of course, but I don't like TS pedals into totally clean Fenders because of the bass drop when you kick it on. 
    It's less apparent on something like a DRRI compared to a Twin, but something with similar circuit, but a bass control like a Bad Monkey, or Hardwire OD works better for me. 

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Liquid Sunshine would do the job and as you know, I'm selling one and PM'd you :)
    @icbm some great advice there, i've always had an interest in one of the mesa's but the price is pretty impressive! i was thinking something between £60-100. The thought (at the moment) is to have a drive-type pedal to give the sparkle some beef and then a russian muff on the top to make me sound like i know what i'm doing