Best guitar for a grand or under?

What's Hot
preston61preston61 Frets: 690
Hello all

I know these kind of things come up fairly often, so sorry if you've answered this one before.

I am simply interested to see if there are some gems out there that I've not heard of before. Also seeing as I've just moved house I am unlikely to ever be able to spend more than this again so want to know what's worth keeping my eye out for.

I've always been a fender guy so I know that the baja and the squire classic vibe are great for the money new. 2nd hand the best guitar I owned was a gretsch power jet for dead on a grand.

Looking forward to hearing what people think.

(I am aware that this is a very open question that will depend on style, other gear etc etc etc)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The best value guitar is always a second hand one, so long as it is in good condition. The exception is that if it needs major work, e.g. refret.
  • I'd say for just under a grand a Gibson SG Standard.

And for a few hundred less the PRS SE guitars are very well made.

• carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    There was a Vigier Bumblefoot 2009 signature at Yamaha Music London (formerly Chappels) for £999 due to being a display model. I own one and it's excellent value at that price. I paid £900 for mine second hand at the time which was a steal.
  • Agreed with Grumpyrocker. Some of the Fret-King guitars are all right as well, eg the Elise. Not sure about Vox 77-series guitars price-wise but I'd be tempted to check some of them out too.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
    Big question without knowing what you are looking for....

Best value are secondhand and not from the "big three".  Godins are stupid money. I own a LGXSA that new are around £1500 ,but S/H a mint one will only fetch ar0und £600 - £650..... I always fancied a musicman...  Have a look at Hamer as well id you want something different.

I bought a Martyn Booth Special for under a grand. excellent instrument ... Some ideas anyway
  • Gibson midtown custom. It seems that Thomann have had a batch made. Absolute bargain at this price, I paid much more from PMT.
  • preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    All excellent suggestions. Am not really looking at the moment, but who doesn't like to browse what's around. If I had the money I would get one built by King Bee, Haar or Bill Nash, but like I said, have always been a fender man, so those guys I know about.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2328
    There was a Vigier Bumblefoot 2009 signature at Yamaha Music London (formerly Chappels) for £999 due to being a display model. I own one and it's excellent value at that price. I paid £900 for mine second hand at the time which was a steal.
    I haven't tried the bumblefoot, but based on the ones I've tried (and assuming that "display model" doesn't mean "beat to shit", lol), I'd have to agree. I remember one of the BKP forumites picked up an awesome-looking excalibur for the same price from them a while back, still jealous about that.

The midtown custom on thomann looks like a really good deal too, but I haven't tried one. Have had GAS on and off for it but have managed to keep it at bay thus far... :D

The big problem about this type of thread is that shops always have deals on, if you're lucky you could come across a deal (that vigier is a good example) which might make all the other suggestions look silly. And of course, used you have so many options that you never know what you might come across...
  • Gibson midtown custom. It seems that Thomann have had a batch made. Absolute bargain at this price, I paid much more from PMT.
    You've almost succeeded in waking the GAS up again haven't you!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • photekphotek Frets: 1462
    There is a nice Nash T52 at Coda for under £1k. Very good guitars.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

My Charvel cost £600 (Well £400 + P/X) and is awesomes, if you like "rock" guitars (IE 2x 'buckers and a Floyd).

The Jackson Adrian Smith model (The cheap one) is sub £500 and is H/S/S and Floyd.

Both are hot-rodded Strats.

A couple of years ago I picked up a used Ibanez RG550 for £499, loaded with DiMarzio's.

Just depends on whether you like that style of guitar.

Failing that, a day looking/trying Epi's for LP/SG style guitars in the sub £1000 market can be a lot of fun (Use the whole day as there's a lot of variables in them).

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• horsehorse Frets: 1563
    Used US G&Ls come in way below £1K, and take some beating for VfM. Not sure you can buy much better under £1K if you like them.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    horse said:
    Used US G&Ls come in way below £1K, and take some beating for VfM. Not sure you can buy much better under £1K if you like them.
    This is a great shout. If buying online without seeing it, watch the weight. They vary more wildly than any other brand I have ever seen. Same model of 'strat' anywhere from 7.5lb to almost 10lbs. Nobody likes a 10lb strat.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    The best value guitar is always a second hand one, so long as it is in good condition. The exception is that if it needs major work, e.g. refret.
    Couldn't agree more - the best value guitar under a grand is a second hand one that would cost £1500-£2000 new and is the model that you want, in decent condition. Even if it needs work it could still be a good buy, if the cost of the work is amply reflected in the asking price. I can understand why beginners, the rich and the impetuous buy new guitars, but if you're competent in telling a beaut from a turkey, why throw away C. 40% of your hard-earned the minute you walk out of the guitar shop? You need patience for this strategy of course, as the exact one you want may take weeks, months or years to turn up... And always haggle whether buying privately or from a shop. Coda, who have the Nash previously mentioned, will always knock a bit off and offer free delivery in my experience.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3852
    edited August 2013
    If I had a grand I'd be looking at a Rick 330 or 360. Hell I'd even consider a 650d. They hold their value infinitely.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    The best bang for the buck SH guitars IMO are:
    • Vintage Yamaha SGs and high end pacificas
    • G&L guitars - Recently bought an ASAT myself
    • Heritage - As good as Gibson custom shop, but stupid prices SH
  • PyromanPyroman Frets: 58
      Well, these guys have covered the high end guitars pretty nicely, so I'll go a different direction.

Fender(y):

Blacktop series Strat.  Very well made and nice sounding guitar for the money.  I bought one for appx $500 US, and it's worth every penny!  6 pt Fender trem, 2x vintage alnico humbuckers, 5 way p/u selector ( Bridge 'bucker; inside coils of both; both humbuckers; neck coil of neck bucker; neck 'bucker).  If you're a Strat guy, it will already feel like home.

Chris Shiflett sig Tele Deluxe.  A hot rodded HH Tele.

Ibanez RG series.  These guitars are a LOT of guitar for the money!  24 fret neck.  I paid $350 US for mine- an RG3EXFM1.  Very stratty in looks and feel, and the neck is everything everyone raves about.  Mine is hardtail, so I cannot speak about the Ibby trem systems.  Fit and finish was perfect.  Basswood body ( its very resonant!), maple neck w.rosewood. 
      There are a boatload of pickup options to choose from.  I got the HH, and it came with the vintage 7 and 8 p/u's, and a 5 way selector, w/ coil splitting.  Sounds great- I especially like the bridge bucker with a nice rocky crunch tone!

I'm basically a Fender guy, as well.   A Gibbo Firebird, like the one Allen Collins played, is most definitely on my bucket list, though.  
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    Levinson blades rock my world.. Have 3 0f them now (2 starts, and a tele). Replaced my fenders, lawsuit tokai springy sound etc. superb guitars and 2nd hand prices are bonkers cheap..
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2328
    The best value guitar is always a second hand one, so long as it is in good condition. The exception is that if it needs major work, e.g. refret.
    Couldn't agree more - the best value guitar under a grand is a second hand one that would cost £1500-£2000 new and is the model that you want, in decent condition. Even if it needs work it could still be a good buy, if the cost of the work is amply reflected in the asking price. I can understand why beginners, the rich and the impetuous buy new guitars, but if you're competent in telling a beaut from a turkey, why throw away C. 40% of your hard-earned the minute you walk out of the guitar shop? You need patience for this strategy of course, as the exact one you want may take weeks, months or years to turn up... And always haggle whether buying privately or from a shop. Coda, who have the Nash previously mentioned, will always knock a bit off and offer free delivery in my experience.
    That works a lot better if you live in an area which has a good second-hand market, though. I.e. not Northern Ireland.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    So true :((