NBD Fretless Jazz

What's Hot
ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
edited July 2015 in Bass

I've been itching to get a fretless for some time.   Finally went for this 15 year old USA Jazz. 

It's had it's electronics changed out with Duncan STK hot stack pickups and an "E pro" active / passive system installed.   Way more controls than I'd probably like or ever use, but there if I ever needed them.  It's got a Badass bridge and Hipshot drop D on the E string tuner. It came with the white guard that fender used at the time ... had to change it to tortoise. 

It's a really well made instrument with next to no wear and sounds fantastic.  Neck is a treat to play.  Fairly new to fretless but so far finding it pretty straightforward to intonate properly on this instrument, really enjoying the new sound palate.  Aesthetically, wish it didn't have the fret line markers, though they are useful, particularly for big steps up the board.  Perhaps if I really settle with it I'll get an un marked ebony boarded neck for it.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    Very nice. Welcome to the wonderful world of fretless bass. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Lovely, fret markers are good! How much did you pay?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    Flatwound strings? I can't quite tell in the pic.

If not, get some on quick or it will suddenly have lots of wear, roundwounds really chew up rosewood boards.

I'm always slightly baffled why you need that much onboard sound control too… unless you're going to DI it without an offboard preamp.

Very nice thing, you're totally right that it needed a tortoise guard!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    ICBM said:
    Flatwound strings? I can't quite tell in the pic.

If not, get some on quick or it will suddenly have lots of wear, roundwounds really chew up rosewood boards.

I'm always slightly baffled why you need that much onboard sound control too… unless you're going to DI it without an offboard preamp.

Very nice thing, you're totally right that it needed a tortoise guard!
    Flatter than flats on it, board is in perfect nick and no intention to change that.  I'm still getting to grips with all the on-board.  May return it to passive only as the emphasis of the kit that's been installed is on the active, so you've very little passive control.   It does sound very good though.
    ICBM said:
    .... it needed a tortoise guard!
    Surely with a sunburst fretless jazz bass, you're obliged to take the pick guard off completely. Otherwise Jaco will be sad.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Keep the active eq! Way more useful for fretless than fretted basses.
    Keep the active eq! Way more useful for fretless than fretted basses.
    I am finding that.   Strangely the active is fine with an all valve amp I use, but noisy into my Genz Benz ... which is fine with my passive basses, strange.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    edited September 2015
    The genz benz amp/speakers have more top end probably...
    I use a GB shuttle, and regularly switch between active and passive basses. I don't notice any extra noise on the actives.
    I suspect it's an earthing issue of some sort on the active side.  Going to open it up this weekend and have a look.