The obnoxiously massive-sounding reverb thread

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
edited October 2013 in FX
Inspired by a pedal I've just seen demoed on ProGuitarShop.

That sounds incredible, particularly around 2:30. Just... wow.

Then there's this old chestnut - 0:40, and 2:40.

And the lush, swirling intro to this:

Anyone else like BIG reverb?
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Awesome!
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Sounds great sitting at home but I find seldom used when gigging - I went for a Tech21 boostrvb which doubles up on gigs as a nice clean boost
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• Mmm reverb. I'm in the big verb club I have to say, when I used to play (and I'll be the same when I start again soon) I usually have two on at once, spring into hall etc, though this was usually for small cafe strummy type gigs, not rocking ones as such. I'd tend to agree that in a band situation it would be more of a hindrance. I also plug my vocals into the same hall verb, sounds HUGE
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    The WET takes some beating for this sort of thing:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I also like a nice wet verb, and my (much less esoteric, I think) choices are the Electro Harmonix Holy Grail (the older bigger, squarer box) and the Boss FRV-1 Fender spring modeller. The Boss one has replaced a Mooer Shimverb, as it has a longer decay. Although it only does spring it is gorgeous, with the capacity to make it really filthy and overdriven! Great for those Black Angels moments. Just a shame it can't do the 'kicked spring' thunder noise!
    The Holy Grail is more of a studio sound, much more ambient and floaty. I think I have (for the time being!) got my bases covered.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921

I might cry if I can't get a Strymon Big Sky for my Christmas.

I suspect that I may well be crying this Christmas. Alternative will be to buy a s/h Blue Sky if they start "flooding" the market.

• I love a big verb too. Great fun at home, but it takes up soooooo much real estate in a band mix....there's a reason radiohead didn't use that kind of reverb on knives out -and it ain't because it doesn't sound nice.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891

Usually I play with no verb, just a little delay, but when it's called for, lots of good reverb can be perfect

Strangely, I've found that my baritone guitars seem to want more reverb than the higher-pitched normal ones. I had assumed the opposite

I think for big reverb, you really want the best algorithms / IRs and top notch design. If anyone has found a cheap alternative to Strymon, TC, EHX cathedral, Axefx, please tell me, AFAIK you need to buy at this level to be really content with the sound, since once the reverb is the most dominant sound, it needs to be as close to full-studio-quality reverb as possible

• Agree, that SuperMoon sounds fantastic. 
    Go get a Zoom MS70CDR. Easily as good as Strymon, TC, Eventide, AxeFX, et al.

No I am not being hyperbolic. I genuinely believe that. The mod effects are good, but somewhat limiting. The reverbs and delays are right at the top of the list with some of the best in the business.

The main problem with the MS unit is the lack of extra footswitches to improve the live usability.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    I've owned the Blue Sky and the Supernatural (ordered from/returned to PGS) and neither could hold a candle to the Stereo Wet. Actually, though, I have found a couple of toneprints for the Hall of Fame which with the right tweaks were more musical and less digital than the Blue or the Supernatural. 

Joe's Pedals had a used Stereo Wet last time I looked.

• +1for the zoom ms70cdr .and great price for what's actually crammed in there!
    loving mine and performed very well at my open Mic :-)
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    Drew_fx said:
    Go get a Zoom MS70CDR. Easily as good as Strymon, TC, Eventide, AxeFX, et al.

No I am not being hyperbolic. I genuinely believe that. The mod effects are good, but somewhat limiting. The reverbs and delays are right at the top of the list with some of the best in the business.

The main problem with the MS unit is the lack of extra footswitches to improve the live usability.

what have you compared it with? Or have you seen a review that does?

The demo doesn't include any of the complex reverbs I would be wanting, hence me asking

Also, a lot of pedals suck tone - does this pedal avoid this? It's never possible to tell from a video demo, even the EHX Cathedral thins stuff a little. On the digital FX, I haven't heard many pedals that preserve the original tone too. Strymon and TC definitely are OK, I have tried them and been impressed

edited October 2013
    The one I have doesn't suck tone at all. The demo I did (linked above) shows all of the reverb algorithms and some of the delay ones.

I have owned: Eventide Space, TC HoF, Boss RV3, RV5, GT-100, Hardwire RV-7, Line 6 M9, M13, and the HD500, and the Kemper. I have used the Axe-FX also.

Not trying to convert anyone, but I was supremely impressed with the MS70CDR. It's the first Zoom product that I genuinely thought sounded high-end to me. Also in my setup the Zoom is quieter than the Eventide Space ever was - that was probably the most disappointing pedal I've ever purchased due solely to the noise floor.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Just had a quick listen, and the early reflections in the SuperMoon algorithm are superb, add that bit of texture without sounding all slapback or washy.
    Have to agree with @gusman2x, the new Strymon Big Sky really is class.

It's not as straight forward once it is not an isolated sound, and is in the mix.
    It really does depend how you want to use one though, and for live you have the band context, what the engineer is doing, and room acoustics to take into account too.

• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    That Zoom pedal does look good, especially for the price. 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    I've got the MS70CDR, and I love it as well. It's almost a shame there are so many good effects in it, as switching them is a bit of a pain with only one footswitch.
    Bidley said:
    I've got the MS70CDR, and I love it as well. It's almost a shame there are so many good effects in it, as switching them is a bit of a pain with only one footswitch.
    Yup. That is definitely the units main downfall, as well as strange tap tempo implementation too. The best place for it is in its own bypass loop, so you can dedicate the footswitch to either tap tempo or patch switching, and then just use the loop to bypass it.
  • I set one of the patches to being a bypass, then I can select it with the footswitch.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom