Lifting bridge and what glue to use

What's Hot
Morning All,

My acoustic seems to have developed a lifting bridge.   Its around 25 years old, so just about worn in, but does't get much play as I prefer the electrics.  I suspect that its just that the glue between the bridge piece and the body has dried.

So... Take it off, remove all the old glue, clean it all down, stick it back on again,  right?

Just...  what do I use to take of the old glue and what glue is the right glue to glue it back on.

Cheers chaps.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    edited July 2015
    It will probably be Titebond that was used to glue it down, unless you have a handmade instrument, which could be hide glue.

The advantage of hide glue is you can heat it easily and the glue will separate, which makes removing the bridge and re-gluing easier.
    Titebond can separate with heat but it isn't as easy to do and you risk marring the finish around the bridge.

I get bridges off with a heated palette knife.
    Re-gluing them with Titebond is relatively simple- I use a Stew Mac bridge clamp jig that distributes pressure equally.

You might need to ascertain why it was lifting and you may need to shape the underside of the bridge to the soundboard, if the soundboard or he bridge have changed shape.
    I do that buy getting some abrasive paper, putting it on the soundboard and then moving the bridge across the paper in a back and forth motion in the direction of the string travel.
    You need to check there are no gaps at all before gluing it back down.

If you've not done it before there is a good chance you will bugger something up- usually finish issues- might be an idea to take it to a pro repairer if you are concerned or the guitar is valuable to you.

One solution frequently used is to buy a new bridge that is slightly oversized, which can hide any finish problems caused in removing the bridge.
    You need to get the bridge placement just right too- this can cause problems for people who haven't done it before.

Is it possible to glue the bridge back down without removing it?
    This is a much simpler fix if you are able to get some glue in and apply some pressure there it is lifting.
    It might work, it might not.

Maybe post some pics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    @octatonic   thanks for that.  I will try to post some pics later.  

It is a mass produced and relatively cheap ( £180) guitar bought new in either 89 or 90.   It has no financial or sentimental value.  The soundboard is flat.    

I haven't done anything like this before and I had hoped it would be relatively straightforward.   It might be possible to just put some glue in the gap and clamp it down.  Ill have to see if I have or can borrow a clamp that will fit.   

As it has no value to me worst case scenario if i fuck it up is I go buy a new one.  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    @octatonic   Just wanted to say a big thanks for your advice.  bought some titebond and a "deep-throat" clamp and had a crack at the bridge this weekend.  Cleaned all the old dried glue off and gently rubbed both the bottom of the bridge and the body with a very fine grade paper just enough to make sure it was all clean and tidy.   

Glued and clamped for 24 hours.  Restrung this morning and all seems to be holding well.    

Much appreciated.  Probable get another 20 years out of it now, which may well see me out.  Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom