Just bought a Blackstar Artisan 15 combo.

What's Hot
ParkerParker Frets: 960
edited October 2013 in Amps

I've been looking for a small valve combo to gig with. My mate uses one and liked his sound. This came up at a decent price of £325 so have bought it.

I've heard they can burn through Poweramp Valves quite quickly. Does anyone know if this is correct? If so, is there anything (mods, valve types etc) that can be done to make it more reliable. The last thing I need is a dead amp on a gig night. Great little amp though!

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589
    Hi Parker.
    Unless you have a very early amp that has not been back to B's shop it is unlikely that the amp needs any work doing on it. There were two changes early on.
    The main res' cap, straight on the cathode of the EZ81/6CA5 was dropped to 47mfd from 100mfd  (in fact the cap next to it should be 47mfd so they can simply be swopped over. This change puts less stress on the rectifier. 

The common cathode bias resistor for the EL84s was changed from 100Ohms to 120 Ohms 10watts. In common with most "class A" cathode biased designs the amp runs the valves pretty hard but this mod puts the dissipation back onto the "book" figure (just!) . But the amps did not seem unduly hard on EL84s? EH samples seemed to run a bit hotter than TADs. They now fit JJs and do not have any problems that I am aware of. 

But do not concern yourself about the amps longevity. Theses mods can wait until you can get the amp back to Blackstar or find a competent tech' and you want the latter because the amps are beautifully made and you don't want to send it to some back street butcher!

The first ECC83 needs careful selection for low noise and hum. A good value example I found was the TAD 7025 High Q.

FYI. The combo ships with a 55Hz Greenback ("nice," Son says, he's a jazzer!) but they take a V30 well if you want a dB or two more mayhem!

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    edited October 2013 tFB Trader
    Parker said: 

I've heard they can burn through Poweramp Valves quite quickly. Does anyone know if this is correct? If so, is there anything (mods, valve types etc) that can be done to make it more reliable. The last thing I need is a dead amp on a gig night. Great little amp though!

Thanks

Most guitar amps that use EL84s run them 'too hot' (certainly by the manufacturer's spec) to one extent or another. Some are worse than others, but in general, EL84s are a valve which requires fairly frequent replacement in most amps if used often.

In some cases the biasing can be tweaked to aid longevity, but I don't think the Artisan requires this. Depending on use, I'd replace them, say, annually?

The amp won't be unreliable if the useful life of the valves isn't exceeded.

edited October 2013
    martinw said:
    Parker said: 

Thanks

Most guitar amps that use EL84s run them 'too hot' (certainly by the manufacturer's spec) to one extent or another. Some are worse than others, but in general, EL84s are a valve which requires fairly frequent replacement in most amps if used often.

In some cases the biasing can be tweaked to aid longevity, but I don't think the Artisan requires this. Depending on use, I'd replace them, say, annually?

The bias resistor change was A/B'ed by the "boss" and he reported no alteration to the sound of the amp. I must repeat that this was done within a very few months of the amps being released to market and there can be few left running that hot. The head versions came later and I would think all of these were sorted at the factory.

Note the cap change also applies to the A30 but B's would rather the amps come in for other mods. Nothing drastic I assure you! The A30 cathode R goes up from 47 to 68 Ohms, a 10W component again.

For all other Blackstar products there will be mods for some of them as with any electronic product as things are learned. Anyone who buys a second hand amp or pedal would be wise to phone the company and check.

Dave.

• ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Great stuff all - thanks! It has been revalved, but yet to get under the hood to see what with.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    I'm not sure why you quoted me there Dave, as your post doesn't seem to specifically relate to anything I've said?
  • pickergpickerg Frets: 30
    ecc83 said:

The bias resistor change was A/B'ed by the "boss"

You'd think Blackstar would make a bigger deal of this on their website, having Springsteen A/Bing their amps for them...

Seriously though, I have wanted to try an A15 for a while, just wonder whether it will have the headroom with the band - not super-clean but that slightly breaking up twangy tone...

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    martinw said:
    I'm not sure why you quoted me there Dave, as your post doesn't seem to specifically relate to anything I've said?
    Well, you mentioned biasing, I went on to give specifics about the 15 and 30. Just adding, not arguing.

Pickerg: I said "the boss" not "The Boss!" As for headroom the A15 is a bang on 15W amp and as such is fairly loud/clean but as with other 15W amps if you have a really manic drummer it will probably not stay clean but I bet you would always be heard!

Note the Greenback fitted as standard could be replaced with a more sensitive driver there are a few continental models about loaded with V 30s.

Dave.
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    It's a great amp! Tempted to put a Neo speaker in as would be laughing all the way to the stage! I'm so used to 2x12's
  • pickergpickerg Frets: 30
    edited October 2013
    ecc83 said:

Pickerg: I said "the boss" not "The Boss!" As for headroom the A15 is a bang on 15W amp and as such is fairly loud/clean but as with other 15W amps if you have a really manic drummer it will probably not stay clean but I bet you would always be heard!

Note the Greenback fitted as standard could be replaced with a more sensitive driver there are a few continental models about loaded with V 30s.

Dave.
    Thanks Dave, I have a 2x12 cab with a Greenback and a V 30 so was thinking that an A15 head with that might be just the job for hearing myself on stage.  Our drummer is not particularly hard hitting and I mic my amp up all the time so it's just for my own stage sound.

pickerg said:
    ecc83 said:

Dave.
    Thanks Dave, I have a 2x12 cab with a Greenback and a V 30 so was thinking that an A15 head with that might be just the job for hearing myself on stage.  Our drummer is not particularly hard hitting and I mic my amp up all the time so it's just for my own stage sound.

Perfek! You will probably keep it on the 5W setting most of the time!

Dave.

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    You got that well cheap. Good score.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 943
    martinw said:
    Parker said: 

Thanks

Necro bump.

Changing output valves annual seems a lot to me. Is this generally accepted wisdom for El84’s?. Specifically in the Artisans.

also, am I right that the a30 is fixed bias so I can change the valves myself?

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    relic245 said:
    martinw said:
    Parker said: 

Thanks

Necro bump.

Changing output valves annual seems a lot to me. Is this generally accepted wisdom for El84’s?. Specifically in the Artisans.

also, am I right that the a30 is fixed bias so I can change the valves myself?

Contrary to its name, fixed bias means you will have to bias the valves…

Cathode bias, bung em in and away you go… fixed bias bung em in and then bias…
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 436
    Great price for a fabulous amp, well done
    "Changing output valves annual seems a lot to me. Is this generally accepted wisdom for El84’s?. Specifically in the Artisans." No, I would say not. IF you gigged the amp 8 hours a night, 360 a year then yes, the 84s might stand a yearly change but a couple of hours a day, a few score days a year? No sir.
    The 'problem' with all cathode biased output stages is that the valves run just about as hot when you are not playing as when driving the ***s off them so switch off when going for pee or pint.

The Artisans of course use an EF86. These have a bit of a (underserved IMO) reputation for unreliability and 'might' get rarer with time and for sure, more expensive. I would get a couple in. I am sure ICBM  and others will give good advice as to the best sources? The one in the A's is used at very low gain for 'colour'.

Dave.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 943
    ecc83 said:
    "Changing output valves annual seems a lot to me. Is this generally accepted wisdom for El84’s?. Specifically in the Artisans." No, I would say not. IF you gigged the amp 8 hours a night, 360 a year then yes, the 84s might stand a yearly change but a couple of hours a day, a few score days a year? No sir.
    The 'problem' with all cathode biased output stages is that the valves run just about as hot when you are not playing as when driving the ***s off them so switch off when going for pee or pint.

The Artisans of course use an EF86. These have a bit of a (underserved IMO) reputation for unreliability and 'might' get rarer with time and for sure, more expensive. I would get a couple in. I am sure ICBM  and others will give good advice as to the best sources? The one in the A's is used at very low gain for 'colour'.

Dave.
    That's good to know about the valves. 

I tend to use the ECC83 channel the most so not too worried about the EF86 to be honest. 

Would you give me the definitive answer please Dave as I seem to get conflicting answers to this one. If I do replace the output valves do I need to get the amp biased? 

Many thanks. 
    Neither the Artisan 15 or 30 need or can be re biased. The A100 does.

Dave.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I’ve gigged an Artisan 30 for six years. It’s remarkably low wear on tubes and is loud enough for any drummer. Mines never been past 10 O Clock on the master volume.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16003
    very loud and good sounding up but treble can be a bit harsh
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    If you want it to sound at its best, use a closely matched set of EL84s. 

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.