SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Prices prices prices

What's Hot
DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
I piss myself laughing every time when someone dogs a price on a classified thread as I'd never do it. It is a bit awkward to read though.  

What's the consensus with everyone else about this? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Stop it. Simples.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I don't even like when people put "PM'd". Why not just PM? 

Ooh etiquette ey? 
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    sorry, but what does 'dogs a price' mean?

the 'PM'd' does seem like overkill, but sometimes people don't notice that they have a PM and dont check them, and perhaps its also a way of saying 'i pm'd 1st, sell it to me'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2013
    Fazer;69635" said:
    sorry, but what does 'dogs a price' mean?

the 'PM'd' does seem like overkill, but sometimes people don't notice that they have a PM and dont check them, and perhaps its also a way of saying 'i pm'd 1st, sell it to me'
    As in: 

Seller: "FS: Jimbob Marshland 200w lunchbox head, ..... £1000ono." 

Non-interested party: "You'll never sell that to anyone you clown, not at THAT price!" 

Seller: "Yes I will for reasons such as........" 

Etc........

Good point on the PM post.
  • Fazer said:

Some people aren't signed in when browsing the forum.  The PM bump could prompt them to sign in and check their messages - has happened to me at least once.

Also, I honestly think selling an item is up to the seller - if they price too high and can't sell, tough shit.  If they sell at a high price, fair game.  They should be left alone re: their pricing so the mods have minimal admin to do in this area.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I think it is fine to be honest. Remember... when someone posts a "it's too high" very often they're correct, and very often it gives you - the prospective buyer - the heads up that you might want to research the true value of an item. If a seller has already done that, then they should be able to prove the worthiness of their price.

If they can't then tough shit. But I have several people on here who I consider friends. If any of them got stung by a classifieds, I'd be pretty annoyed.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    On the old place it was very hit and miss whether you got an email saying you had a pm so it became habit to mention it in the thread, as well as getting first dibs in.

Most people here are very aware of the typical prices things fetch but it's up to the seller to advertise at whatever price they want - if you don't like it then don't buy it or make an offer - don't ruin it for them.  
    There are always a few items at silly prices but you wouldn't tell waitrose they are wrong - you'd just go aldi if it bothered you that much ;-)

Hhhmmm....

Good point. See I would've thought that anyone selling would generally be another regular/friend type from here where a wee pm to them that their pricing is wrong would be a better way to tell them.

I've had it myself before where I was just genuinely not in the clue as to what my item was worth. I appreciated the quiet message and promptly edited my price after some proper research.  That was on eBay of all places.
    It also means you still control your price change rather than an unintested party is setting the precedent. 
    John_P said:
    There are always a few items at silly prices but you wouldn't tell waitrose they are wrong - you'd just go aldi if it bothered you that much ;-)

That is not a very good argument. Last I checked, Waitrose weren't selling second hand pies that have been bashed about a bit, and asking nearly brand-new prices for them. Nor do Aldi AFAIK.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Deijavoo said:
    It also means you still control your price change rather than an unintested party is setting the precedent. 
    This is true. I think since this forums PM system is much better than MR's, it might be worth having a rule or a general code of conduct that goes along the lines of 'pm someone if you think their price is odd'
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited October 2013
    Drew_fx said:
    Remember... when someone posts a "it's too high" very often they're correct,

But I have several people on here who I consider friends. If any of them got stung by a classifieds, I'd be pretty annoyed.

I feel the same way about the price comments as I spend far too much free time checking out used gear, my viewpoint is based on keeping moderation to a minimum.  I think the less the mods have to do the better - they already give up a lot of their free time as it is.  It is the same reason I was against having too many rules in classifieds whenever it has been discussed in the past, because they'd need policing.

If someone buys something at a price they're happy with then they're happy with it, nobody is forcing them to buy.  I'd only class it as being stung if they've been given something other than what was described.

Sometimes insane deals do happen but it doesn't mean it is changing the going rate.  Likewise sometimes things sell above the going rate.  I don't think it is fair to try and moderate the seller's asking price based on community - I think being nice and honouring your word should be enforced by community, but price should be negotiated between the buyer and seller so they're both happy. 
    True! Sometimes it can be a bit silly. JVM410H's were selling for £350 at one point, but I doubt you'd get one that low these days!
  • A friendly PM is the way to do it - let's face it, it's down to the seller's desire to sell, and it's down to the buyer to do their proper research.

Also, shitting on somebody else's FS thread is against the rules. Do it once, get warned. Do it twice, get shouted at. Do it again, you're in the cooler...
    <space for hire>
  • Drew_fx said:
    True! Sometimes it can be a bit silly. JVM410H's were selling for £350 at one point, but I doubt you'd get one that low these days!
    The same thing happened with the 4x12 cabs - my bandmate picked up a near mint 1960A with proper leather cover for £130 last year the bugger.  It wasn't even located in the middle of nowhere, it was in Liverpool city centre and there aren't any lack of musicians round there.  They just seemed to fall out of fashion as a lot of people moved away from traditional rigs to smaller amps and cabs (or digital).

I wish I'd bought a JVM410 for £350, even if just for recording.
  • Drew_fx said:
    Last I checked, Waitrose weren't selling second hand pies that have been bashed about a bit, and asking nearly brand-new prices for them. Nor do Aldi AFAIK.

You must live by a really posh Waitrose.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    I do actually! :D

Drew_fx said:
    The same thing happened with the 4x12 cabs - my bandmate picked up a near mint 1960A with proper leather cover for £130 last year the bugger.  It wasn't even located in the middle of nowhere, it was in Liverpool city centre and there aren't any lack of musicians round there.  They just seemed to fall out of fashion as a lot of people moved away from traditional rigs to smaller amps and cabs (or digital).

I think also there are a lot of people with the idea that Marshall cabs are crap. They are not, far from it. They sound really good, particularly if you replace the speakers with V30's or K100's - my two favourite types anyways..
  • Drew_fx said:
    I do actually! :D

Drew_fx said:

I think also there are a lot of people with the idea that Marshall cabs are crap. They are not, far from it. They sound really good, particularly if you replace the speakers with V30's or K100's - my two favourite types anyways..

Internet wisdom is sometimes a nuisance.  I had a hard time selling my Baja Tele as it was a heavy one.  Unlike some sellers, I was open about the weight of the guitar in the listing so there was no confusion, and refused to post it because I was genuinely worried someone would try and return it based on weight.  

I have honestly heard of people trying to return guitars for rediculous things like being heavier than expected and didn't want that hassle - honestly a buyer does not have that right in a private sale, they're supposed to find all that out first before buying.  If an item isn't broken and is as described a private seller doesn't have to take returns just because the other person doesn't like it, but people do try.

At the time of sale certain large and mostly US based webforums were full of discussions about how the heavy Bajas sounded rubbish, but mine definitely didn't.  I bought it new and A/B tested with other models, I wouldn't have paid for it if it didn't sound good.  I got a few low ball offers when selling it though with weight cited as the reason.

My response to the lowballers was a polite message along the lines of if it was too heavy I'd suggest picking a lighter guitar.  They just wanted a cheap price, they clearly weren't bothered about the weight otherwise why buy it in the first place.

The guy who bought it thought it was fine and he loved the sound of it when he came to pick it up.  The price it sold at was pretty normal, they'd gone for both more and less around the same period of time.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    When I was selling my Ibanez RGA, I had it up for a price that was abit high but in the end I sold it for what I wanted to get for it. So happy days. The PM'ed thing is purely, as someone else said, to ensure people know they have a PM. Also, its kinda  free bump for the person selling the item which always helps. What really fucks me off, is people going: 

Twat Seller: Trades, Im after an EQ pedal, whatcha got?"
    Someone: I have an eq pedal here, its a Blah blah, hows that sound? 
    Twat Seller: Nah, Im not after one of them, Im just after a NorkyNorky Mark 2. 

Why not just ask for exactly what you want/need? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 131
    I really do think that Ebay often raises people's expectations beyond what most of us would consider a 'fair' or sensible' asking price.  I sold an old danelectro pedal on Ebay last year......low start price and wasn't convinced it would sell.  They were £80 new at Thomann.  A guy ended up paying £105 + shipping and I was horrified....I genuinely felt like saying 'no, don't buy it, it's too expensive' and yet he was thrilled and left me absurdly good feedback.

I tend to look at the prices gear has sold for on Ebay to give me a timeline and go from there but the problem is that is people do overpay for something then that sets a precident.

Everybody should be free to ask what they feel comfortable with and if they don't sell, well........?!  I'm sure that most of us are in no doubt as to why.

Problem is we ALL want a bargain..........!  :)