NAD: Roland JC-50

What's Hot
JadedJaded Frets: 127

So I sold my Vibrolux Custom as I hadn't turned it on in months and got this as part of the deal (sorry about the blurry phone pic). Apparently the JC-50 is a pretty rare model?

So far its got some lovely cleans that aren't as "sterile" as I've read, a pretty nice reverb (considering the tiny spring tank), awful distortion and some pretty nice chorus. Like I've read plenty of times before it takes pedals like a champ until you decide to use any kind of gain pedal... I've heard it likened to plugging into a PA system and I kind of agree with that. I'm not too keen on the lack of mid-range on the EQ either, I bet half my issues with gain pedals are down to lack of mid's on the EQ. 

Other than that it's a pretty nice, loud and clean machine. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    That would have been ideal when I was in the ska band. There is a Selecter live thing on YouTube where the guitarist ( not Neol their original guitarist and songwriter) uses the chorus on his JC120 to sea sickening effect every other song.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Yes, they're good. Not very far off half a JC-120.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    edited October 2013
    ICBM;70145" said:
    Yes, they're good. Not very far off half a JC-120.
    Just 10 less.

:)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had one back in the 80's, liked it but moved it on for a twin. Couple of years back was at a party and guitarist had one, my band were invited up for a couple of songs, and I used his JC50, thought it was great, much better than I remembered.
  • JadedJaded Frets: 127
    Well my only real issue with the amp has been resolved. For whatever reason plugging into the low input just plain old sounds different from the high input, even with the volume adjusted the low input has a pretty strange character with distortions. 

Few things I'm still a little unsure about (there's a pot on the back that isn't labelled, no mention of it in any online manuals either and the chorus/vibrato modes aren't always particularly obvious/wobbly and usually a little quieter) but I'm starting to really love it! 

...now I've got an urge to track down a JC-77 or a 55 and see what all that stereo chorus is about :D
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    The low input is meant to sound different, not just quieter.

The pot on the back sounds like a mod. What does it do?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I was always under the impression that a low input just had lower gain for humbuckers... I had no idea they're meant to actually sound different. Where's a facepalm emoticon when I need it?

I've seen a picture of another JC-50 with the pot on the back and I have absolutely no idea what it does. When I opened it up it it was connected to the board by one of the two huge capacitors. I'm pretty sure mine has been modded anyway, there's an effects loop, which doesn't seem to be stock on any JC-50. 
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    Some 120's had a pot on the back to adjust the chorus............maybe that????
    I just tried that, doesn't seem to have any effect on the chorus or vibrato mode. I'll try sticking something in the effects loop, might be a volume for that or the line out?