Last Kingdom - New BBC series based the Bernard Cornwell novels

John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
Apparently the BBC are making a new series based on the warrior chronicles by Bernard Cornwell.   

I suspect the success of game of thrones might have played a part in the decision the make it.    
I've enjoyed the books and  it could be good.   Not sure whether it'll be like Sharpe with an episode for each book or if they'll try to stretch a book over a whole series - I'd prefer extended episodes Sharpe style but that could be tricky as the book series hasn't concluded, maybe a couple of books per series as a compromise. Either way I'm looking forward to seeing it. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 611
    I've enjoyed the books immensely...I actually love Sharpe but think the warrior series is better written perhaps due to the writers development over the period
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Hopefully, they will spend more money on production than they did on the Sharpe series.
    Interesting to see who will play Uthred.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    I am just starting to watch this.
    Absolute belter so far.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4665
    The 3rd series is on Netflix. Quite enjoyed it 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    3 series now one of the best things on tv. I love his style of faithful historical events and accurate history but with good drama. 
  • westwest Frets: 996
    i loved the first 2 series , way more depth than say vikings which i gave up on , but sadly the 3rd series is netfliks only and i dont do that type of thing so  dont know  how to get to see it...
  • ionianionian Frets: 100
    edited January 2019
    First two seasons were superb - third season is bigger, brasher but with a dodgy script. Still incredibly fun, just has some moments where humour is written in but doesn't work. I really enjoyed it though. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    ionian said:
    First two seasons were superb - third season is bigger, brasher but with a dodgy script. Still incredibly fun, just has some moments where humour is written in but doesn't work. I really enjoyed it though. 
    Shame the BBC canned it. I've read the books and they are a very good read. The TV series glosses over a lot of action in the books.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Fretwired said:
    ionian said:
    Shame the BBC canned it. I've read the books and they are a very good read. The TV series glosses over a lot of action in the books.
    True but I thought it made it possible to make a tv show given the number of books in the series now.  
    I don’t have Netflix but the number of shows I would like to see has probably reached the point where it’s worth it. 
    John_P said:
    the books and they are a very good read. The TV series glosses over a lot of action in the books.
    True but I thought it made it possible to make a tv show given the number of books in the series now.  
    I don’t have Netflix but the number of shows I would like to see has probably reached the point where it’s worth it. 
    It gets a wider release in January .. out on DVD and on terrestrial TV. Not sure which company has picked it up. The current head of BBC drama is a woman who doesn't like shows like Game of thrones. She'd rather we watched another tedious Poirot spiced up with references to Brexit (as if we not all bored to the death with Brexit) or Les Mis in which nobody seems to have told the cast they are supposed to be in France. Bar Luther BBC drama is shite at the moment. And the Doctor Who trailer is gag worthy. Another show that's been ruined. "No old monsters" cried the new show runner. Well not until the New Year.

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    First two seasons were fantastic, and third is good do far. Misses fair chunks from the books, but hasn't drastically changed much for TV.. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12349
    I thought the first two series were pretty lacklustre, obviously made down to a budget but still trying to compete with GoT. I don’t remember the hero making much of an impression either? I haven’t got Netflix so no idea if it improved in S3. 
    boogieman said:
    I thought the first two series were pretty lacklustre, obviously made down to a budget but still trying to compete with GoT. I don’t remember the hero making much of an impression either? I haven’t got Netflix so no idea if it improved in S3. 
    Fair enough. It wasn't meant to be Game of thrones .. I enjoyed it and it had good ratings. The new BBC head of drama wants to focus on other projects which probably means a bigger budget and better writers so it could be worth a watch. I recall when Ripper Street was dumped by the BBC and picked up by Amazon the whole quality of the show dramatically improved - better, darker stories with a decent arc. The BBC needs to up its game.

• I've seen series 3 and the problem it has now for series 4, is that the Cornwell books have tended to go nowhere fast from this point onwards.
  • I've seen series 3 and the problem it has now for series 4, is that the Cornwell books have tended to go nowhere fast from this point onwards.
    I agree. I can't see where they can take it that I'd be interested in- almost all the most interesting threads have run their course. 
    I've seen series 3 and the problem it has now for series 4, is that the Cornwell books have tended to go nowhere fast from this point onwards.
    I agree. I can't see where they can take it that I'd be interested in- almost all the most interesting threads have run their course. 
    Did you chaps watch Sharpe!  Fight vikings, get surrounded, cunning plan comes, off sleep with women.  could go on forever : )
    munckee said:
    I've seen series 3 and the problem it has now for series 4, is that the Cornwell books have tended to go nowhere fast from this point onwards.
    Did you chaps watch Sharpe!  Fight vikings, get surrounded, cunning plan comes, off sleep with women.  could go on forever : )
    Sharpe was good. The writers spiced the books up for the TV which is what they could do with the Last Kingdom. Nothing says you have to slavishly follow the books.

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    edited January 2019
    Fretwired said:
    munckee said:
    Sharpe was good. The writers spiced the books up for the TV which is what they could do with the Last Kingdom. Nothing says you have to slavishly follow the books.

Having gone through all but the most recent book in the series, there were plenty of occasions where I wondered why with all his badass sword-fightin' daredevil commando mates he didn't just hurry up and get his bloody castle back. It does become less closely connected to actual history as the series goes on.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• 45 secs in to series 3 and it’s evident it’s netflix due to the violence shown. Just waiting for the sex now - guessing about 4mins in? 
    45 secs in to series 3 and it’s evident it’s netflix due to the violence shown. Just waiting for the sex now - guessing about 4mins in? 
    To be fair its been fairly violent since the start, first ever episode his dad had sword rammed through the back of his head.