replacement under saddle piezo strip

have a vintage ve 500 and the electrics gone bad. worked out that the piezo strip one of the wires has detached, impossible to try and solder back on. A local shop has some fishman piezos for about £25 but looking on ebay i can see chinese ones available for £3-6 and being a lot more convenient for me too. Can anyone advise me, does the piezo p/up actually make that much difference or is it more to do with the preamp (which i believe is still working fine). as this is my knockabout geeetar im not to worried about optimum  sound but if its equal to what was originally installed id be more than happy.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    In my opinion there isn't that much difference in the piezo pickups themselves, at least if you're comparing like for like - eg a straight high-impedance piezo and not the lower-output ones that LR Baggs use, for example (which I think work on a slightly different principle).

A Fishman for £25 is a pretty good price though, so I'd maybe be inclined to get the real thing and *know* it will be good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2342
    thanks, may do that then, another question, wiring the stereo jack, i know one is signal and one is ground and one disconnects the battery but dont know which is which, ie have a red wire, white wire and bare wire. which goes to tip, ring and base of socket?
    thanks, may do that then, another question, wiring the stereo jack, i know one is signal and one is ground and one disconnects the battery but dont know which is which, ie have a red wire, white wire and bare wire. which goes to tip, ring and base of socket?
    The bare definitely goes to the sleeve/base but the others are impossible to tell from the colour coding - some makes use red for the signal and some for the power.

Measure the voltage from each of the other two to the bare - you should find 9V (or close) on one, that goes to the ring.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

^^ thanks. best thing to test it before fixing it back in.
    should it correspond that the tip connects the tip of the mini jack at the other end and the base connects to the base or does that vary?

should it correspond that the tip connects the tip of the mini jack at the other end and the base connects to the base or does that vary?
    Probably corresponds, but testing for the voltage is conclusive.

yes, measuring probe on the lug connected to the base and other probe on ring gives me  an 8.5 volt reading, when i plug a jack lead in i get 0 reading, is that correct?
    Yes. The plug barrel shunts the -9V connection to ground which is how it turns on the battery. The difference between 8.5V and 9V is because the positive connection is via the circuit, so there is a small voltage drop.

thanks all seems good then, just waiting for my new piezo strip to arrive.
    piezo arrived, and installed and working :).  bought off ebay from jellyfish audio, £5.50 inc postage cant be bad? ordered friday, arrived this morning.