Recording software/ audio interface advice

What's Hot
moominman2moominman2 Frets: 9
edited October 2013 in Studio & Recording
Hello,

I just bought an M-Audio Fast Track with Pro Tools SE. However, I can't create a new project on my windows 8 laptop. It simply won't let me save a new one when I click save! So can't do anything with it!

Do I need to configure something for it to work properly? Or as its windows 8, will it not work?

I used to use a line 6 tone port that worked fine with my old vista laptop, but hated the recording software it came with. Do I need to use that or can I use something else? However, I loved the pod farm it came with.

So my question is, is it worth just buying the toneport to use with windows 8?

And also, what other straightforward recording software with VST plugins are there? Preferably free, or cheap. Sonar cakewalk 6 is cheap?

Thanks in advance,
Luke.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Reaper.

I don't know if I misread it somewhere that W8 & ProTools didn't play well together - worth Googling
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    i dont know the pro tools se, but it sounds like its a case of having the right settings rather than windows 8 (i may be wrong)

perhaps its in demo mode and you need to input a serial? or there is some other setting?
    it doesnt sound right, for sure.

i think that all the different softwares are pretty much the same, just a case of getting used to the way they do things.
    i started with sonar and so i've stuck with it as i've got used to the layout etc.

you can use reaper for free, i think there is just a nag screen until you buy it (and even then its very cheap).
    if i was starting again i would probably give that one a try, a lot of people love it
  • Nice one. Thanks for the advice both. I'll give reaper a go today then :)
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884

I got PT8 working fine on Windows 8, it's an approved combination I think. But PT has got more flakey over the years I reckon.

I have no idea what is the problem, best place to look is in the AVID DUC, a huge forum that contains the fix for almost every bug I have ever hit

Reaper is very good and very cheap

I'd recommend Ableton, it has a free demo, lots of Lite licenses sent out, and very organic to use, the complete opposite to the tape-machine paradigm everything else uses. You can do a lot, and composition is a different beast when using this. Look at youtube for demos

• Couldnt stand pro tools personally, another recommendation for reaper here.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Thanks again for the advice. I'll forget pro tools for now and have a go with Reaper and will also download the free version of Ableton.

Thanks all :)
  • Given Reaper a quick blast. Not managed to do much whatsoever, as I'm not used to it. A couple of direct guitar recordings. Tried adding FX but sounded pants! Also I almost got my midi controller working, but the latency was too bad. 

However, it seems like it can do everything I need and more, so I'll check out some tutorials tomorrow and see if I can pick it up enough to enjoy using it, and configure everything properly. 

Thanks all,
    Luke.
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    Pro Tools has always been very sketchy at my university it occasionally just decides it doesnt want to work and will require a full reset for no apparent reason which is why i tend to stick with Logic but hey thats a lil off topic...
    Used to use Reaper a lil its nice and cheap and fairly basic, ive had some experiance with Cubase and i fell that alot of the hate it gets is completely unjustified and rumour has it that Cubase 6 is actually rather fine.
    Heard alot of good things about Ableton and more than a few people swear by Cakewalk.
    If you can get Pro-Tools to work and put in the time learning all the short cuts then it is your best friend if not Cubase gets good results for not unreasonable money:
    http://www.yamahamusiclondon.com/P~STE-CUBASE-ELEMENTS6~Cubase-Elements-6?attributes=
    and it is basic and its plugins arent great also i had nothing but problems getting it to talk to the Line6  POD Reaper is actually pretty damn good in that it is quick to learn and easy to use.