Radio Station Recommendations

dindudedindude Frets: 8534

Simple rule for me, I listen to own music collection at home and radio in the car.

I now have DAB in my car which opens up a bigger world of Radio but don't know where to start.

I have for years flicked between Radio 1 (makes me feel like I'm hanging out with the youth and they are all laughing at me for trying to be too young), or Radio 2 (makes me feels like I'm hanging out with a bunch of pensioners).

So what else is out their for early morning (7am-ish) and evening (6pm-ish) good radio (if there is such a thing).

Is BBC 6music any good?

Planet rock was throwing out some top cheesy tunes last night, but I fvcking hate radio adverts.

Any recommendations?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindude;4709" said:
    Is BBC 6music any good?
    Yes.

It really starts to get special from 7pm week nights (Marc Riley then Gideon Coe) and day times on Sunday (Cerys Matthews and Jarvis Cocker)
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1468
    edited October 2013
    If you like rock/metal, then forget Planet Rock, it's a bag if shit. Team Rock Radio is MUCH better. Caters for classic rock, modern rock and metal. Really good mix of songs and best of a all, it's advert free (except for the odd BBC-esque pimping programs/competitions for the actual radio station itself.

Not sure about the morning show, but 6pm onwards is the Classic Rock Magazine show with Nicky Horne which is the exact same show he did for Planet Rock until he jumped ship. Plays a good mix of classic rock and modern "classic" rock (i.e. Alter Bridge).
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3124
    edited October 2013
    joneve said:
    If you like rock/metal, then forget Planet Rock, it's a bag if shit. Team Rock Radio is MUCH better. Caters for classic rock, modern rock and metal. Really good mix of songs and best of a all, it's advert free (except for the odd BBC-esque pimping programs/competitions for the actual radio station itself.
    I think it still feels a bit amateur but I keep checking in...bit too metal for me...usually flicking between Planet Rock and TeamRock.

For the drive home, I recommend Nicky Horne's 'Classic Rock Magazine Show' 6-9pm on TeamRock...essentially the same show he used to do on Planet Rock!
    joneve said:
    I think it still feels a bit amateur but I keep checking in...bit too metal for me...usually flicking between Planet Rock and TeamRock.

For the drive home, I recommend Nicky Horne's 'Classic Rock Magazine Show' 6-9pm on TeamRock...essentially the same show he used to do on Planet Rock!
    I would agree that the presenters and the shows feel a bit amateurish, but I like it! Find them much more likeable than most of the boring farts on Planet Rock (Darren Reddick is about the only one I get along with on PR). Plus I don't mind more metal-y stuff. Makes a change from 10 repeated songs they play on Planet Rock all the time.

I edited my post to say the same thing about the Classic Rock Mag show.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    edited October 2013
    Plus 1 on Team Rock. Nicky Horn is their best dj but Dewsbury on the afternoon show is also good. Planet Rock has really gone downhill, seems to be nothing but Kiss and Whitesnake dross these days.

I like Bbc radio 4 extra too. Classic radio comedy like Goons, I'm sorry I'll read that again, Hancock, Steptoe etc plus classic radio serials and plays.
    boogieman said:
    Plus 1 on Team Rock. Nicky Horn is their best dj but Dewsbury on the afternoon show is also good. Planet Rock has really gone downhill, seems to be nothing but Kiss and Whitesnake dross these days.

I like Bbc radio 4 extra too. Classic radio comedy like Goons, I'm sorry I'll read that again, Hancock, Steptoe etc plus classic radio serials and plays.
    Don't forget Rush! (though I actually don't mind that)...Or Zep! They seem to get a lot of air time too. Their playlist is really awful.

Team Rock's seems much larger and has much more variety. I heard Dream Theater's "Dance of Eternity" the other afternoon! Somehow sounds better when it's played on the radio! :D