Fender strat HH - pickups?

Always been a straightforward LP STD, SSS STRAT, trad Tele man but I have a strat i don't use and have an old HH scratch plate that fits it and a hankering for a 2 humbuckers guitar that is different to my Les Paul. Question is what pickups? Want something rocky but versatile that will coil tap well. Will be playing covers by Foo Fighters, Chillis, Green Day, Primal Scream, GnR, Wombats - poppy rock... Got any suggestions
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    I'm getting rid of a Seymour Duncan JB and a Kent Armstrong something or other. Can't remember the model off hand. £50 get's you both. I had the JB in my strat and it worked well.

There was also a guy on here selling a pair of HB's that he pulled from a PRS SE. Not sure how they would sound in a strat though.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    I've used a jb in the bridge with a dimarzio 36th anniversary paf pro in the neck and they work really well. The paf is never muddy and the jb rocks.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    Talk to Weasel of Oil City fame. 

I have a Scapyard Dog in my US Strat and it is bloody phenomenal. 
  • I will give them a look Ta
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited August 2013

Or speak to @Van_Hayden ,(Bulldog pups) I has one of his Extremists in the bridge of my Jackson, it's nailed exactly the sound I asked for, and a bucket load more. Custom-made with an Alnico 5 magnet, not over-wound or weak. Perfect for what I wanted.

For the things you've suggested less powerful pups would probably be best.

I've not tried them, but the Seymour Duncan Slash set, are not too powerful, or the SD Pearly Gates, that I had in my Jackson before the Bulldog/Duncan distortion combo, were very nice, clean-sounding not too powerful, vintage-sounding pups. They just weren't for me....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    edited August 2013 tFB Trader
    He is @TheGuitarWeasel on here and is a jolly nice chap.

I have bulldogs and oil city in my strat and both are excellent, but the one that blows me away is the Oil City.
  • The oil city prices look really tempting
  • PyromanPyroman Frets: 58
    grungebob said:
    I've used a jb in the bridge with a dimarzio 36th anniversary paf pro in the neck and they work really well. The paf is never muddy and the jb rocks.
       What kind of tone were you getting with that JB in the bridge of your strat?  I'm looking to make an hss and this is one of my options.  Is this a good choice for a fat, vintagey, rocky kind of sound?  Also how does it do when coil split?
  • i recently put a bkp mississippi queen bucker sized p90 in the bridge of my strat and its absolutely immense. it goes from sweet fat cleans to filthy dirty gorgeous!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • elkayelkay Frets: 77
    edited August 2013
    This might not be to everyone's taste, but for something really different, I recently put a set of TV Jones Classics into a Blacktop Tele, just like the one here ...no, that's not me, but the sound I get is exactly the same. Only difference is that mine is with HB mounts, which therefore drops into any standard HB fitting without modification. The tone is sort of P90-ish. Hope I'm not breaking any rules here.
    edited August 2013
    Pyroman;6475" said:
    grungebob said:

What kind of tone were you getting with that JB in the bridge of your strat?  I'm looking to make an hss and this is one of my options.  Is this a good choice for a fat, vintagey, rocky kind of sound?  Also how does it do when coil split?
    Sorry missed your question. The jb gives a good amount of drive and volume to the Amp and a mid range thump that suits vintage and classic rock rather well, it to my ears at least doesn't have a lot of bass to it so you may need to eq adjust if your using a trem, the bass comes through better with a blocked or hardtail strat.
    I've only ever used it coil tapped with the middle pickup but gives good quack.
  • PyromanPyroman Frets: 58
      Thanks, Bob.  The trem on this is blocked, I think- it doesn't want to move. ( that, or the prior owner added springs to it)  Either way, it's set to flush, not floating.

Sounds good- that bridge- middle position is a favorite of mine, as well.  I'd likely use it as a 'bucker if I'm only using the bridge.  Going from memory, I'd save a few quid buying this instead of the Lace Dually. ( but lose the "p90" bridge sound...  ahh decisions decisions!)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10371
    tFB Trader
    i recently put a bkp mississippi queen bucker sized p90 in the bridge of my strat and its absolutely immense. it goes from sweet fat cleans to filthy dirty gorgeous!
    One of my early pickup demo guitars for HB sized P90s was a Strat ... and they really do sound great in the bridge position ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Yeah I've also had a P90 I took out of a prs se one in the bridge and that sounded amazing with dirt but could never get the eq right with the other pickups, always sounded too bright when clean.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10371
    edited August 2013 tFB Trader
    Should have had one built with either alnico 4, alnico 2 or a hybrid magnet pair :) that calms the treble.
    You can have twin 1/4 inch thick 'Filtertron style magnets for huge bass ... or even twin alnico 8 for mahoosive output these days.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Hmm I need a new bridge pickup, once I know the guitar a little better ill know what it needs,defo less mids at the mo