4-cable method FX units with midi

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Yeah saw that. Kinda sucky you can't use a hub :(

Might be better to try and find the original iConnectMidi.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Another option could be to use a multi FX with decent clean amp models and ignore the EVH clean. You'd avoid attenuation issues and keep the gain channels of the EVH. No amp master volume would mean setting the modelled clean volume up and saving the patch each time you play at a different volume, depends how much hassle that is for your patch needs.
    Would there be any way to do this, but also utilise the MFX as a noise-gate when I am using the EVH channel 3??
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Drew_fx said:
    After a bit of research, it appears the Zoom G3 *will* respond to midi program changes when you use it with a USB>midi cable type thing. But here is the idea.... get two G3's, one for out front and one for the loop. Then get something that will take a midi input and distribute it to three destinations; one midi destination and two USB destinations.

And it looks like the iConnectMIDI stuff *might* handle it!!
    http://www.iconnectivity.com/

Add a midi controller and a Boss FSU5 with a single jack to two jacks cable, in order to tap tempo both units... and this could solve my situation.
    Yeah that isn't much of a kludge at all.

;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Swap my JVM for your Axe FX Jim ;) :))
    Drew_fx said:
    Swap my JVM for your Axe FX Jim ;) :))
    Tempting...
    I'm half serious too. The EVH has proper usurped the JVM's throne.
    edited November 2013
    Drew_fx said:
    I'm half serious too. The EVH has proper usurped the JVM's throne.
    Give it a month.
    I'm not up for a trade though. ;)

Unless we're talking wife-swapping again.
    lol. Somehow I don't think our wives(?) would be too up for that! But if it gets me your Axe FX, I am willing to talk...
    Worth a try though.
    I just asked her in my most school girl way... "Mak.... will you have sex with one of my friends so I can have his Axe FX?"

Her response: "Noooooo... you have sex with him"

Er....
    :-$
    Give me time to get into my batman costume. Do you prefer European or South American gerbils?
    British till I die, fam.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_fx said:

Another option could be to use a multi FX with decent clean amp models and ignore the EVH clean. You'd avoid attenuation issues and keep the gain channels of the EVH. No amp master volume would mean setting the modelled clean volume up and saving the patch each time you play at a different volume, depends how much hassle that is for your patch needs.
    Would there be any way to do this, but also utilise the MFX as a noise-gate when I am using the EVH channel 3??

If you used patches in 4CM then you could do that on any multi FX where you can switch the loop where the amp preamp is out of the signal chain.  I think In Flames used to do that live with their Peavey 5150s and Line 6 rack PODs.  5150s for gain and L6 for cleans.

The toughest bit is finding a MFX that ticks your other boxes!  Without compromising I don't know what to suggest.
    Drew_fx said:

If you used patches in 4CM then you could do that on any multi FX where you can switch the loop where the amp preamp is out of the signal chain.  I think In Flames used to do that live with their Peavey 5150s and Line 6 rack PODs.  5150s for gain and L6 for cleans.

The toughest bit is finding a MFX that ticks your other boxes!  Without compromising I don't know what to suggest.
    I could compromise, but I'm not 100% sure on what!

Using a small portable modeller for clean tones isn't the worst either ever though. I just nabbed a Zoom G3 to tit about with, yes ... I am flogging the M13.
    =))
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26559
    edited November 2013
    Hang on...why not build your *own* 4CM unit?

Just get one of these then put the G3 and the amp's preamp in each loop and switch accordingly. Hell, you could even run them in parallel...

You can then control that in addition to whatever other MIDI gear you've got (assuming it supports the appropriate CCs).
    <space for hire>
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited November 2013
    It wasn't that G3X on ebay last night was it?  I bid on that and lost.  It looks ideal for what I want in front of an amp, and it looks easy to use (which is my major criteria).  One of those plus a delay pedal to put in the loop of my amp and I think I'd be sorted for live use.

It is really easy to find that multi-fx unit, but Drew doesn't want to buy it. :)
    guitarfishbay;74333" said:
    It wasn't that G3X on ebay last night was it?  I bid on that and lost.  It looks ideal for what I want in front of an amp, and it looks easy to use (which is my major criteria).  One of those plus a delay pedal to put in the loop of my amp and I think I'd be sorted for live use.
    Nah mate, got it under a buy it now price; £90. Not a massive saving, but oh wells.

Just get one of these then put the G3 and the amp's preamp in each loop and switch accordingly. Hell, you could even run them in parallel...

You can then control that in addition to whatever other MIDI gear you've got (assuming it supports the appropriate CCs).

I was under the impression that those G-Lab units only worked with their larger GSC-5 system. If I am mistaken then yes you're right, that could be a way to go!

octatonic;74336" said:
    It is really easy to find that multi-fx unit, but Drew doesn't want to buy it. :)
    ehehehe. There is an ultra on eBay at the moment! But as I recall doesn't the Axe FX also have the slight gap when changing patches? I seem to recall that being the case.

Hmm, yeah. It appears you're right they should work as a standalone box. This is getting kinda interesting now...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_fx said:
    ehehehe. There is an ultra on eBay at the moment! But as I recall doesn't the Axe FX also have the slight gap when changing patches? I seem to recall that being the case.
    It is pretty tiny with the Ultra and with the Axe FX 2, if using scenes (which you would, I think) it is zero.

Scenes, which are about a year old now, simply switches existing effects in and out- they aren't a proper patch change, you stay in the same patch but any effect blocks within that patch can be switched in or out with one button press with no delay.
    You can have 8 scenes per patch, either cycle through them or set up the MFC to access them with IA buttons.

Otherwise you can use a couple of expression pedals to morph from one sound to another.
    There are a lot of options.

Axe FX II only though.