The Top 15 Things That Annoy the Crap Out of Your Local Sound Guy

What's Hot
www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Half those things are just a baby whining as far as I can see?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm pretty sure i could annoy generic people with that kind of stuff. I might post a similar blog saying the top 56 ways to be disliked on a train, or similar. Was hoping for some act specific goss!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Moaning twat.. I wouldn't book him.
  • He's got the wrong end of the stick... it sounds like he's in the wrong job.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Definitely just sounds like an asshole. In fact, he sounds like every uncooperative sound guy I've ever had the displeasure to work with.
    <space for hire>
  • I'm a soundguy and I bitch all the time about it and he still sounded like a whining idiot to me.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72313
    edited November 2013
    What a load of trivial nit-picking moaning. He doesn't even mention some of the genuinely annoying things bands can do. (Apart possibly from deliberately over-running, but that's a management issue and not the soundman's problem.)

I've been a soundman too, and I can only agree with what's already been said that he's exactly the type you don't want when you're the musician.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2926

"When people blame the band's lack of talent or poor equipment on the sound guy. It's amplified sound. If it sounds like crap, it will be amplified crap"

Way to trivilise the point of your own job!

• keithfkeithf Frets: 371
    total bell end,he's in the wrong job,needs to be a car park attendant or simular
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    " When bands ask me to turn the monitor up. Each monitor is a separate mix. Tell me what instrument or vocal you want to hear in the monitor and I will turn that up for you." 

Their own?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    I would only agree with 10 and 7 on everything else he needs to accept that these things dont come with the job THEY ARE THE FUCKING JOB if hes bored and doesnt enjoy it then hes in the wrong damn line of work!
    It wouldnt bug me quite so much except i love doing live sound and lighting and the jobs in it are few and far between and knowing that moaning old fucks that dont enjoy it are taking that away from those of us who love it and have a passion for it.... well saying that it pisses me off would be an understatement
    also if hes bored and not enjoying it then he is approaching it without enthusiasm so his mixes will be shit which is why bands will ask the crowd how it sounds.
    mini rant over.
    for now...
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 363
    edited December 2013
    How about things that sound guys do to annoy bands who have employed them at the bands cost? My band recently booked a local PA sound engineer for a corporate gig in a larger than usual (for us) venue. 1. Turns up with a mountain of outboard gear and finds it very difficult to provide us with reverb on vocals and snare. 2. Refuses to take the time to sound check us properly insisting that a line check will suffice and will mix during the first few songs (not great for a confident start) 3. Farts around with reverb etc and fails to spot the fact that the keyboards have disappeared from the mix in a song where they are prominent because chatting to a punter. 4. Fails to provide loud and clear monitor mixes because of feedback problems ( we are not a loud band on stage). 5. Fails to pay attention to the music and misses obvious opportunities to aid dynamics e.g. Push guitar during solos, lift BV levels, push reverb on snare during ballads. I know this is only my experience but we cannot be the only band to have suffered in this way at the hands of someone who is bored because they do it day in, day out.........On the other hand another local PA hire company are absolutely brilliant at their job and great to deal with (ESP Productions Yeovil).
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    edited January 2014
    a backline of a pair of Fender Twin Reverbs...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    The biggest pet peeves for most live engineers are usually:
    1) dickhead who won't turn down, as that is how he gets his sound
    2) keyboard players who soundcheck with the volume control down low and gradually turn up and up through the evening
    3) shit singers who glare at you when they shove their microphone into a monitor and get squeely feedback
    4) horn players who insist on using a dynamic mic on a stand and then spend the rest of the night standing random distances from the mic, making mixing a 'challenge'
    5) drummer who permanently clatters into his snare mic

There are more but I guess you'll just think its whingeing!! :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.