Any Yamaha SA experts out there??

What's Hot
Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
Title says it all - picked up an SA2000, nice guitar but know very little about 80s Yamahas!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    I'm not an expert but the overwhelming majority of posts on forums seem to say they're cracking guitars.

I know they came in SA2000 and SA2000S variants, the "S" being for solid top - carved spruce I believe. The jazzers in particular seem to like the "S" models.

I recently bought a much more recent SA2200 and like it a lot. One thing I've read about the SA2000 is that some had bigger necks, compared to the slim-taper-60s-esque ones on the SA2200. I generally prefer a bigger neck but am fine with the slim version.

Another area that seems to polarise folks is the pickups. I quite like the ones on mine but many swap them out. If you don't like the stock units, I believe that Bulldog's Cool PAFs would sound great in a Yamaha SA ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have an SA2200 which if I'm not mistaken is the same guitar with more bling. Excellent instrument. The neck is a little wider than that of my 335 and slightly thinner from front to back so on switching from one guitar to the other it feels a bit strange to start with but you get used to it. Doesn't sound like a 335 either, it's much brighter, but the tone quality is lovely in its own right.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    Thanks for the info guys - really liking this one. Bought it on a whim....needs a refret so it'll be off to Stuart Palmer soon.

I've had quite a few ES335 style guitars, had an Edwards for ages that I sold when I got a proper Gibson. Been through a few proper Gibsons until the last one went. I think I prefer the body shape on the SA. Tone wise it's bright but plenty of depth. Quite similar to my last Gobson.

@Basher Cool PAFs you think.... Maybe!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom