Through Body String Holes

What's Hot
My first build is going really well with surprisingly few issues until now. Neck is done, body mostly complete. I'm now at the stage of fitting the bridge and need to drill the holes for the strings through the body. Problem is my pillar drill doesnt have enough space between pillar and drill bit to do the damn holes. Any advice before I either drill by hand or ditch the idea and buy a different bridge?

Cheers
Simon
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• This is obviously of no practical use to you but I tend to notice most manufacturers like to make the hole on the back rather large in comparison with the one on top which is nice and small so when restringing you end up poking around in the dark praying you get lucky and line up with the hole - it's a bit like your first sexual experience.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
    as you say...
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited November 2013
    I've seen people use a mirror to check that the drill is perpendicular (drill and reflection make a straight line) but I've never tried this. 

I'd recommend using a bigger pillar drill if you know anyone who has one.

Use the bridge as a template, drill the outer holes through slowly so the drill doesn't bend. Drill the other 4 holes half way. Flip the body over and use the bridge as a template again (aligned on the outer holes) to finish the four inner holes.

I have a neat counterbore like this for drilling the ferrule holes which is very useful as it self-centres on the string hole. The centre hole takes a 1/8" stainless steel rod which you can set as a depth stop.

Dont suppose any forumites in/near Bristol (where I live) or Cardiff (work) have a larger pillar drill I could use to drill six holes for a couple of beer tokens?
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631

Just FYI.

If any of you frequent boot sales/country fairs you might pick up some milling bits?

A couple of mini end mills and a key slot mill can be used on wood and plastic in a drill press to great effect . DO NOT TRY THEM ON METAL!

Dave.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    larger pillar drill is best but not always possible as they ones with enough clearance are eitehr very large or very expensive so not often suitable for the home builder.  even with a larger drill press the thin bit  can wander

you can get good results without by doing it in a few stages.   Make your self a 1/2"+ thick drilling guide for the string holes, should be able to do this on the pillar drill and make sure its all square.   then use the hand drill and the guide you just made to to drill these from the front going half way through the body.  drill the 2 e strings all the way through.  flip the body over and use the outer E strings and some dowels or spare drill bits as a pin for locating the guide, drill through from the back meeting hopefully meeting half way.

then make another drill guide for the large holes needed for the ferrules.   this will allow you to correct for any mistakes in the placement of string holes on the back.  useful even if you have done it on a drill press as a tiny amount of wandering can look miles out with ferrules
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    thanks WezV, Very helpful. I'll give it a go tomorrow.
    Followed WezV's advice mostly. Drilled through the template but my drill bit was not long enough to go all the way through so I simply used the first half holes as templates; worked really well, so many thanks for the advice Wez.

Simon