SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD

Bluesman1989Bluesman1989 Frets: 66
edited March 2016 in Acoustics £

In the final stages of getting a BRAND NEW OM2H in PX for my Baranik.  Looking to get as much interest as possible before it gets here so I can get rid of it before it becomes used :) As much as I'd like a top end OM for failing miserably at some Tommy Emmanuel, I've seen a Lowden I'm after so ...

It's coming over from Rudi at TFOA in the Netherlands so you can rest assured it will be a stunning guitar and set up perfectly.

They're going at £3250 from what I can see so save £450 and grab this for £2800

https://goo.gl/photos/4t2ZyLNZw7MgBBWx5

https://goo.gl/photos/hhdHKBmv54RP6u1N7

https://goo.gl/photos/RYjswkvrQJhnYzH46

https://goo.gl/photos/sgAZqcu2cZ7P8eew8

https://goo.gl/photos/sH5wvsFbKZKScudA6

https://goo.gl/photos/JyBL2eSZyfNcTHZR6

https://goo.gl/photos/XaeUw5xr7JgEybs67

https://goo.gl/photos/GwrtAsVFfRMd6HNL8

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• This is on it's way now should hopefully be here before the weekend!
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308
    Can I ask why you didn't just buy a Lowden from them? Which Lowden model are you after? PS GLWTS

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Lowdens are an easy sale so cash in Rudi's hand. Mike Baranik is a less known luthier. The models I could have traded on had Cedar tops, which isn't really for me and he wasn't willing to let me have the Honduras/Alpine F that's based on the PB model as it's going to go easy (but it's probably for the best as I don't really need another guitar of that value! Or do I?). I figured the Collings would be an easier sale than the Baranik and I got some other stuff I would have bought with the money had I sold it privately so ...

I'd love a 90's O12c with a 5 piece neck and large heel, but there's a F I've had my eye on for a while that I'll likely go for - I'll keep quiet about where/what model though in case someone else grabs it :)

I bet the Baranik was lovely. I spend a fair bit of time over on the acoustic guitar forum looking at the custom build threads. I've seen Mike's work on there.

It is a route I plan to go down myself at some point.

Fair enough mate. Jon Gomm fan then, wanting an O12C.

I have an O22C. Lovely lovely guitar!

And once again. GLWTS.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Oh it was! A MASSIVE step up from my old Yamaha FG as well. There's a Nick Benjamin JOM at TheNorthAmericanGuitar if you have the cash ...

And yeah : ) Frickin' LOVE Jon Gomm! I'm down in Hastings, but heading up to Leeds for the Brudenell gig with Antoine Dufour and then in October going over to Devizes. Really wanted to get to Canada for the Don Ross guitar weekend where he's guest instructor, but finances dictated otherwise. Bootcamp this year would have been so good as well ... Ahh well ...

Lowdens are great aren't they? I've got an O35cx myself that I adore, such a huge sound, but you know - Super fanboy over here so an old O12c would be the nuts :)

And thanks. I'd have thought someone would be interested though ;/ We'll see ....

I'm not looking for any more guitars at the moment, although a nylon string would be nice, but not essential. I'm a lefty so finding nice gear in stock, in a shop is rare.

Jon is great. He posts here from time to time as the performingchimp or something similar. I've never seen him live, but have seen Antoine Dufour at a clinic he did in London. These Moments is one of my favourite pieces of music ever. He's one of the very few who can pull off the whole percussion + melody and make it sound great.

I bet you'll have a couple of great evenings seeing them.

My personal favourite is Erik Mongrain in that style. He's an amazing player and makes some beautiful music. He's a bit different to all the others as well, in that his percussive techniques are quite unique.

Lowdens are a bit special. Mine is my only guitar, and since buying it I haven't bought anything guitar related, which is a first in 20 odd years. The only problem with them is they are so bloody expensive. I'd love another. I think next time I'm going down the build route though. I like Mark Hatcher's work a lot.

I'm sure someone will want the Collings. They are great guitars. All the best.

• Well its here is anyone is interested!

£2600 to get it moved on quickly so I can grab the lovely Lowden that's just popped up on the web!

• Well I bought a Lowden anyway so it's back up at £2800
  • So just in case anyone was questioning it still being brand new - Here is why it simply wont get played :)

https://goo.gl/photos/JkJGJ2bf2a1LgNDr9

• Two lovely Lowdens there, what top wood is on the 35, is it redwood? Whats the back and sides and how do they compare to each other? Also (!), where are the two tuning knobs on the right hand side?!
  • Hi :) Yes they're the best! The 35 is Coco and Redwood. They couldn't be more different or being 'the same'. The Lowden body shape has changed slightly so a new O is actually fractionally larger than an old one. Tonally, the 35 is darker and more rounded with a real depth in the notes. Still puts the higher frequencies out great, but a notably warmer tone over all. It's also a bit more responsive for things like left hand tapped harmonics. I think maybe it's just a case of me getting used to the 22 though.

22 is very clear with a nice bright sound out of the Hog/Sitka. The sustain, oh the sustain! The neck is a little slimmer and VERY playable. Nothing against George's current neck design, or any other elements of the guitars being produced now, but I could only keep one chances are I would side with the 22. But I did have to stop and think about it after writing that so ... Close call ...

It's a tricky one I guess though, as the 22 is an older guitar and clearly well played in and I've had the 35 from new for about 5 months tops. If I think about how it will sound in the future after many. many hours of use ... It's gonna be sooo good :)

As for the tuners I'll say this - Type 'Jon Gomm' into Youtube :)

They're Keith banjo tuners

• Thanks for the reply, and sorry for dragging the sale of your Collings off topic, I just love Lowdens! Wow, Jon Gomm is something special, can you actually play that stuff? Impressive.
  • No worries - Keeps it bumped :) I can't see myself playing anything else after getting these ... maybe a nice F at some point ...

I can do a very bad interpretation of the easier parts hehe - I went from being a mediocre electric blues player, gave up for a couple of years while occasionally playing some Oasis style progressions for a mate as and when, and then got shown Jon's music. 2ish years later and I'm still no good. Getting closer with some Thomas Leeb, Don Ross and Antoine Dufour etc (not the difficult ones of those either!) but Gomm has a ... different way of playing lets say. More practice needed! Much more ....

• Thanks Bluesman, just sent you a PM to discuss Lowdens!
  • bump
  • Chucking a brand new Planet Waves sound hole cover in with this now as apparently it's too small for a Lowden!
  • Whats the nut width on this? thanks
  • It's 1 3/4"

I think I mentioned it in your post? You're after 1 11/16", right?

• Collings sold now? (wouldn't be surprised they are marvellous)
  • No! I thought it would be an easy sell - Especially with £500 off the RRP! I'm very impressed with myself for keeping it new I'll add :)