Goodrick / Miller Generic Modality Compression Gadget

What's Hot
bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
If you have the Mick Goodrick and Tim Miller GMC book then I found this website very useful.

The GMC book, for me, is very hard to understand but carlosf's website helped me a great deal.  You don't really need the book now you know the link to that site.  

I'm nearly certain carlosf posted on the old MR forum and I think he posts here under a different name, although I don't remember what.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    ta, I'll have a full read on the way home :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    @bingefeller that's me! So cool you found it. And I'm glad you're getting good use out of it. Have you tried the Krantzinator too?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited August 2015
    @bingefeller that's me! So cool you found it. And I'm glad you're getting good use out of it. Have you tried the Krantzinator too?
    @georgenadaintl Ahh I knew you were here!  Your site helped me a lot because my sight reading skills aren't great, although I am practicing.  The GMC book is a bit off putting in that things aren't too well explained.  

Yeah, I saw the Krantzinator too and it's very useful.  Do you have the audio lessons from Wayne Krantz's site?  They are a good companion to Improvisors OS.

My question is this - how do you know what triads to play over what chord?  

Like they are demonstrating everything over Stella and the first chord is an Em7b5 - how do you know what triads will work over that chord?  When listening to the demonstration of Stella I found it very difficult to identify the tune from the chords being played.  

edited August 2015
    I don't have the audio lessons from Wayne's website. They are not available any more are they? If I can't buy them, I'd certainly appreciate somebody sharing them through private message here...

As for your question, if I remember correctly it's a question of picking a scale, because you need 6 notes besides the root, and then splitting those in the two triads. Perhaps throw some voice-leading in there as well? So for that Em7b5 perhaps you take the notes from E semilocrian? I can't recall the progression for Stella off the top of my head (embarrassed) but that's what they say in the book, i.e. use whatever scale has all the notes you need.

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Here is a leadsheet for Stella.

I don't have the GMC book right to hand but, were they suggesting you treat each chord as a new scale?   I just found it really difficult to get my head around, although my understanding of theory is kind of limited but I felt this book was very advanced.  

I kind of wish they'd present you with some common jazz type chords and also suggest what triads would work over them.   
    Well, if you want to improvise over it you'll always have to "pick a scale" in one way or another. Or just arpeggiate. Considering we're in G minor for that piece, but the chord is a natural E, I'd think D minor (DFGABbC) is a good option. So for instance DGBb and FAC? Am not in front of instrument to try it out.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    If you have the Mick Goodrick and Tim Miller GMC book then I found this website very useful.

The GMC book, for me, is very hard to understand but carlosf's website helped me a great deal.  You don't really need the book now you know the link to that site.  

I'm nearly certain carlosf posted on the old MR forum and I think he posts here under a different name, although I don't remember what.

Great stuff, many thanks for posting.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom