NPD: Strymon El Capistan

ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2025
After months of faffing about with Flashbacks, M5s, Echo Parks, HD300s, looking for a great tape delay I finally did what I should have done in the first place and stumped up for an El Cap.

It really came down to this or a Wampler Faux Tape Echo. The Wampler was great, but the Strymon is awesomely good and highly tweakable.

No idea if it's anything like a real tape delay but it sounds mighty fine to me.  Fantastic slapback, lovely analogue-type 300ms range delays and magical Gilmouresque sounds from Run Like Hell to multi-head psychedelic washes.

The variations are fantastic - tape age to give darker repeats, wow/flutter for modulated delays, self-oscillation, secondary functions for spring reverb, crinkled tape etc and tap tempo too.

It's great, as it should be at the price. I've spent less on guitars!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I love my el capistan it really is a fantastic pedal, with the built in looper it's even more versatile! I'll never get rid of mine...
  • Full on winnagement!
  • You chose wisely Mr Chuffola, now go and get the Ola chorus :-D
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Bit like you kept trying cheaper alternatives before finally biting the bullet. No regrets, in fact bought the flint as well for reverb and trem. Only issue is higher current draw and needing to allow for this on my pedalboard. Found the diago unit works fine although technically it shouldn't!