Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What a weird solo...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited September 2015
    Ché said:
    I like it, every change makes my ear go "Ooo".
    Exactly. Some people have said they think it sounds clunky, I don't think that's really the case. It's ear-catching, and the changes/leading notes are jarring enough to be interesting but not enough to sound unpleasant. I like it a lot.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It doesn't sound all that surprising to me.  Without transcribing or analysing it, it's broadly 4 bars of one mode, 4 bars of another and so on through 5 modes. A slightly unusual device to sneak into a piece of 80s electro-pop, but familiar enough territory for the kind of 80s session guys who dabbled in a bit of modal jazz or jazz-rock fusion in their own time.  And there were a fair amount of people at the time - I think of Nik Kershaw, or Level 42 or Ian Dury's Music Student's live performances - trying to incorporate that kind of fusion-ey sophistication into pop.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Thanks for sharing, like it!

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513

[Auto-wow for Huff-love.]

The solo doesn't sound odd at all to me, but there's the usual caveat that I grew up with jazz on at home *all* the time. It just sounds like big shifts in the harmony, which of course it is.

• ohhh some of those are car crash key changes, some of them are really nice.. interesting solo
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Well - I worked the solo out, and I've uploaded my first solo cover to YouTube for about two years:

It's not exact but you'll get the idea.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I am loving the touch of Brad Gillis at about 0:20.  I love a bit of flappy Floyd work.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8822
    tFB Trader
    I really liked that, got to love those 80s solo's and their key changes.... although, this one had quite a lot of changes in it. Still cool to me
  • Man those key changes are naff.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Man those key changes are naff.
    yeah they are awful.  I made a backing with Band in a Box and it's just horrible to play over. Not because they are particularly difficult to navigate, it's just because I think they sound bad.  
  • I do like that, It's naff but very 80's sounding. I do need to get a looper pedal at some point. It would be good to solo over something like this, rather than a two chord vamp :P
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • vizviz Frets: 10680
    Bucket said:
    Well - I worked the solo out, and I've uploaded my first solo cover to YouTube for about two years:

It's not exact but you'll get the idea.

That was great, Bucket.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • It's very Alan Parsnips but I prefer AP.. Cool though. Prob a huge hit over on hugeracks.... :)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life