RIP Bill Lawrence

What's Hot
For those that haven't heard, sadly Bill Lawrence has passed away.

There's a statement on his website here: http://billlawrence.com/

And whilst it's not an obituary, some of his considerable contribution to the electric guitar, and in particular his pickups, is detailed here
Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    RIP, and wow, I never knew most of that stuff about him!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    He's the person who introduced me to why and how pickups and other guitar electrics matter.

I'm very pleased to say I've got a set of his Keystones in my favourite old Aria, and they're staying for good.

I got the impression he was a more modest man than a few of the more famous names in guitar pickups, but he was more of a pioneer I think - some of his ideas and designs were well ahead of their time.

RIP :(

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Wisdom awarded simply because as the text on the button says "I learned something". I never knew of this man's existence, but he must be an unsung hero of guitar technology. Maybe he never wanted global public accolade, but maybe the world of the electric guitar - in which we are all embroiled, mainly because that's where we want to be - owes him a big thank you. Those who knew him must miss him.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Awww... such a nice guy too. When I wanted some advice on an old set of Lawrence pickups I'd bought secondhand, he took the trouble to send me a personal email explaining everything I could ever need to know about them. So much so that I bought a set of Keystones from him - superb pickups.

That is a great loss to the guitar world.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    RIP, sad news. :(
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Sad news indeed :(
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Sad news.  Very much an unsung hero of guitar.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10362
    tFB Trader
    Much of my own outlook on pickup making was shaped by Bill's ideas. He was a genius, an 'out of the box' thinker ... and a thoroughly nice man.
    Pickup making ... and the world in general is poorer ...
    RIP Bill
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    I can only echo the sentiments displayed so far. It seems we have lost quite a few guitar heroes of one kind or another this year.
    RIP Bill
    Don't touch that dial.
  •  

RIP mr lawrence

The Swamp City Shakers