Newbie to electrics really struggling

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27424
    There's quite a few people down in your area ... @McToot is pretty well connected and might be able to point you in a good direction for tutors, informal meet-ups, and the like.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    TTony said:
    There's quite a few people down in your area ... @McToot is pretty well connected and might be able to point you in a good direction for tutors, informal meet-ups, and the like.

Yes Indeedy.  West Sussex is well represented on here.  I'm down in Haywards Heath and then we have @Fez and @fastboy in Crawley and @flanging_Fred in Horsham.  There are more too, but I can't remember them off top of head. 

I'm probably not the best to ask about tutors as I'm too bone idle to ever have had one, but there are some good ones about I think.  Feel free to send me a PM (click my name and hit the message button).  I also think that it's about time that I got my ass in gear to see one of the bands in which the above play.  I missed a couple this last weekend, but I too have young kids and getting a pass out isn't always easy.  BTW I also have a THR 10X and I love it...

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• Hi

There are plenty of opportunities to get out and about in Crawley playing. There is a weekly open mike at the Windmill pub in Gossops Green, the 12 bar workshop in Northgate community centre on a tuesday night (I go to this when I can and is good for beginners, the stuff is quite simple most of the time and it's a very low stress environment), there's a more acoustic based jam session at the Emerald Club in Southgate. I think there are other jams around the place too, one in Crawley Down if I remember correctly. Other pubs have had jams from time to time in the past 'the black dog'/'the white knight'/'Dr samual Beckett/the apple tree' etc have all had things going on at one time or another.

As for tutors, well I can only really point you at Danny Giles, a really top bloke, a genius player and a great teacher to boot.  You can learn enough from him in one lesson to keep you occupied for a whole year of practice if you like! Check out the Danny Giles Band and he's on facebook too.

I hope that helps a bit. Get in touch if you want any more info.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks folks, I just have to grow a pair and get out there I guess :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2376
    Wisdom awarded for honesty, admitting you need lessons isn't easy!
    As has been mentioned above, playing with other people helps LOADS! In a really short time.
    Also you mentioned playing the same things over and over, try not to get stuck in that loop, took me aeons to get past that.

Good luck dude, it'll be a blast!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Skodadad said:
    Thanks folks, I just have to grow a pair and get out there I guess :)
    Don't bother to 'grow a pair'. There really is no need to. There's been some AWFUL players turning up at these things over the years thinking they are the next Stevei Ray/Steve Vai/George Benson etc and yet I've never seen anyone being laughed at/humiliated/shunned or any other negative shit that the human mind shoves in your way of these things.  The muso's with a bad attitude seem to naturally drift away, everyone else just gets better.

EVERYONE at these things had to go through it and can remember how nervous it was to start with. I doubt you will get anything other than supposrt and encouragement. Unless you're a dick. Which, from your posts, you clearly are not.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited September 2015
    Skodadad said:
    On a side note the way to describe my problem with the amp is that any chords I play seem to blend together into a bit of a muddy mess. There is no real distinction between the notes played.
    Regards this. do these two things

1. make sure your right hand (assume you are right handed) when you strum is only playing the strings that should be in the chord. For example the chord A doesn't have the Low E string, D doesn't have the low E & A strings. Practice playing only what you should.
    2. Spend some time each day picking the chords (pick each string individually, don't strum). Pay attention to detail. Are all the string ringing clear, are any dead or muted. Don't include strings that shouldn't be there ( just like step 1)
    If either of the above fail then you are not playing with good technique, you will be dominating chords with unwanted open notes and the crucial notes that determine major/minor get lost.

Good luck

• Thanks Fred I'll definitely come along to one of these meetings, it's good to know I won't be the only one still learning. I think my biggest mistakes have been trying to buy skill which obviously only comes with patience and time. Some people just make it look so easy! @TEETONAL I think i know most chords and which strings to exclude but unfortunately my spacial awareness needs work. I often practice in the dark in the dining room of an evening, it seems to help if I can't see where I am moving my fingers thus forcing me to memorise the positions. I need a lot more practice though.
  • JohnBJohnB Frets: 121
    For home use and occasional pub jams I really like my Orange Micro Terror - £150 including the 1x8 cab - it does benefit from a reverb pedal set to classic spring sound though

• blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    If I was giving myself advice at the stage you are at, I would say get a tuner. Everybody thinks they can tune up, a tuner will get your ears aligned. Then learn to tune to a record, any record. Playing in the dark is also a great idea (or eyes closed at least), sounds like you will prgress quickly with your attitude. Have fun !
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • The Yamaha amp has a tuner built in, I did buy a cheap clip on one from ebay but they give different tunings so I am sticking with the Thr's interpretation
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    Yeah, you don't have to believe the tuner. You're looking to train your ears, hence moving on to using a record. Ultimately, you will use the tuner to get close then your ears make it 'sound' right. Defacto, you start using your ears to play tunes / chords / licks that sound right. Guitar tuning (to a standard) is always a compromise but a great learning aid.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9655
    Hi @skodadad, I see you're fairly new to Crawley so you may or may not know The Music Company shop in Northgate parade. Anyway if you're still after a cheapish decent Strat they had about three Squier CV Strats last time I was there (although that is a few weeks back). The main guy in there waxes lyrical about how good they are. I'm also in Crawley (West Green) and have a MiM Strat at my gaff which you're welcome to try out. Also quite happy to meet up from time to time to help with any other guitar-playing issues - from your earlier posts it looks like your musical tastes are at least in the same ball park as mine. Just PM me if you're interested.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Hey Hal9000, I did look for a music shop but was told that it had closed down and Brighton was the nearest one now. I managed to get myself a yamaha pacifica 112j and am picking up a squier strat later today :) it's not the cv so may not be great but you never know. I have been on a bit of a guitar buying mission lately as I had some cash from the sale of some of my last hobby. So I need to stop buying now and actually learn to play! The money had to be spent or else it would have gone on general household bills or at least that's my excuse. Appreciate the offer of help, do you ever go to any meetings?
  • That is not correct.

Hobgoblin music has closed and moved to Brighton.

The Music Company is still open in the Northgate parade. It does have a number of CV squiers and also a bunch of SX and Vintage guitars that are decent budget guitars.
    From what I've seen TMC is a bit pricey being a local independent shop.

If you can stretch the budget a bit Cash Converters in Crawley has a very nice Vintage (brand) Paradise Les Paul copy ATM.
    Skodadad;787582" said:
    Hey Hal9000, I did look for a music shop but was told that it had closed down and Brighton was the nearest one now. I managed to get myself a yamaha pacifica 112j and am picking up a squier strat later today :) it's not the cv so may not be great but you never know. I have been on a bit of a guitar buying mission lately as I had some cash from the sale of some of my last hobby. So I need to stop buying now and actually learn to play! The money had to be spent or else it would have gone on general household bills or at least that's my excuse. Appreciate the offer of help, do you ever go to any meetings?
    As Flanging Fred has pointed out, TMC is still open. Yes, slightly pricey but they will do a set-up when you buy and IIRC a 6 month service.

I actually haven't been to any of the local meets but am hoping to get along to the Blues Workshop in Northgate Community Centre tomorrow (Tuesday) evening. It will be my first time so have no clue what I might be letting myself in for!
  • @HAL9000 I'll try to come tomorrow night. If you want any more info about it all PM me. I've been going to this, on and off, for over a decade now!
    Thanks @Flanging_Fred. I wouldn't worry on my account as the unpredictable nature of my work means I may or may not be able to get there. However, a brief synopsis of what I should expect would be helpful.
  • Basic format is pretty simple. We pick a song, everyone plays the rhythm together. Usually someone sings a couple of versus / chorus then we go around the room and everyone can take verse /some allotted bars to solo over if they want to.

Doors open @7.30 but playing usually starts around 8pm.

Oh, and there is tea and biscuits. Which probably explains why it's been so popular over the years.
    Many thanks. I assume there's subs to be paid? Also, what equipment do I need to take? Electric? Acoustic? Practice amp?