Gryphin Amps - Updates pictures etc

What's Hot
Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2573
edited November 2015 in Made in the UK tFB Trader
After supplying parts and kits to amp builders for the last 7 years with Modulus I have started to develop a range of hi-spec amps to offer to those who do not have the skillset to build there own.... i.e the majority of guitarists

Here is an 18watt head, simple controls and a delight to play, pretty well known what these amps can do tone wise, but I hope to have some videos recorded shortly.
I will be at the Leeds Guitar Show in October and the Guitar Show at New Bingley Hall in Feb next year if you want to check it out.

I will post here occasionally, but my Facebook page will have the most activity.
https://www.facebook.com/GryphinAmps?ref=hl

Let me know what you think, all feedback is good, both good and bad

Cheers

Michael

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Welcome to the forum. They look good to me. :D What does the Tone Shift do? If that's not a totally stupid question.... :-?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2573
    tFB Trader
    Thanks Eric, The tone shift changes/scoops the mids affected by the tone control, I added it after struggling with some muddy p90's fitted in an SG and it offered a little more clarity, sounds great in both positions with all my other test guitars, Tele/strat/LP etc
  • Looks interesting; I guess the inevitable question is: how much? And also, is any kind of power scaling/attenuation option available for those who can't play at full volume for whatever reason?
  • Looks really nice. We'll be at the Leeds Guitar Show too. Lets meet there!
    tFB Trader
    Not finalised price yet, this is the "budget" version but I can do power scaling as a custom option when required. I am also going to do a version with valve tremolo that I will include power scaling as default..

Sonuus said:
    Looks really nice. We'll be at the Leeds Guitar Show too. Lets meet there!
    Great see you there, this is my first show so will be interesting.

Michael
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Michael was a great supplier when I was building amps, did me some custom chassis and was always dead helpful!, and very knowledgeable

Best of luck with the venture in to selling complete amps :)

tFB Trader
    Thanks John!

Been a while since I checked in here, but at the Leeds show yesterday I had several people speak to me who had seen me here first, which was pretty cool.

If you are genuinely interested in an amp please contact me for pricing, I plan to target retail shops early next year and so will be offering the amps at a discounted rate until then and would rather not publish those prices before then if thats ok.

Cheers
    edited November 2015 tFB Trader
    Here is 10w Blackbird amp we put together for the Leeds show. single channel, Blackface type tones, can take 6L6, EL34 KT66 in the power section, paired with a 1 x 12 cabinet with a Celestion g12 Cream Alnico speaker image
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2015 tFB Trader
    Had a great show at Merseyside on Sunday, the purple amp above got great reviews as did this Dragon 30 amp below.

Some fantastic craftmen in the UK, There were some lovely guitars and pedals on display, maybe need to get something sorted for the Birmingham show next year.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Loving the use of pink and purple wires
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • Lovely clean build, that. Congrats.

R.
    tFB Trader
    Cheers guys. I am sure the all tone is in the insulation colour! :)

This one is going into a studio in Dundee.

• Modulus_Amps;873573" said:
    Cheers guys. I am sure the all tone is in the insulation colour! :)

This one is going into a studio in Dundee.
    I think free the tone actually claimed their cable colours were chosen as the colour of the outside insulation affected tone. ;)
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Nice work.

A couple of points.

I was under the impression that the SOZO caps weren't RoHS compliant. Have they now sorted this out? 

For best reliability the axial filter caps should have additional attachment to the board and not just rely on the leads. I like to use cable tie, but silicone also works well. I've repaired plenty of amps where the leads to the caps have broken.
    edited December 2015 tFB Trader
    @jpfamps

Hi, yes thanks for the pointers. I have actually changed a few things since that photo was taken, bonding down components is the last thing to happen before going out the door to a client, but to be honest I don't normally do it on prototype builds I keep for myself.

SOZO standard caps are RoHS compliant, they are used a number of amp builders that sell to the EU. I don't know about their other caps so best to ask them direct. They may not sell you the standard range anymore though. You have to buy in bulk and I have been waiting 6 months for my last order.

You still doing faceplates? I noticed your custom amp panel website was down a few months ago.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
    Can I ask how come none of the wires in that amp are twisted together? It always seems like valve amps have some tightly twisted wires which I thought was to do with noise rejection.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    @jpfamps

Hi, yes thanks for the pointers. I have actually changed a few things since that photo was taken, bonding down components is the last thing to happen before going out the door to a client, but to be honest I don't normally do it on prototype builds I keep for myself.

SOZO standard caps are RoHS compliant, they are used a number of amp builders that sell to the EU. I don't know about their other caps so best to ask them direct. They may not sell you the standard range anymore though. You have to buy in bulk and I have been waiting 6 months for my last order.

You still doing faceplates? I noticed your custom amp panel website was down a few months ago.
    That's useful info re the SOZOs. 

We still do faceplates. Not sure why the site was ./ is down. We had some odd issues with our website recently, which may have affected it.

edited December 2015 tFB Trader
    BigMonka said:
    Can I ask how come none of the wires in that amp are twisted together? It always seems like valve amps have some tightly twisted wires which I thought was to do with noise rejection.
    They don't need twisted for noise rejection they need to run parallel for noise rejection. The twisting method is an easy way to keep them close/parallel and achieve noise rejection.
  • BigMonka said:
    They don't need twisted for noise rejection they need to run parallel for noise rejection. The twisting method is an easy way to keep them close/parallel and achieve noise rejection.
    Hmm, I'm not sure about that.

This is quite a good write-up: http://ax84.com/bbs/dm.php?thread=283738

R.
    tFB Trader
    I think this is high school physics, or maybe first year engineering physics, I forget which.
    The twist doesn't produce the EM field, Conductors emit EM fields perpendicular to their surface and since they are opposite in polarity they cancel out. Running them parallel and tight achieves this.

If you are a amp builder try it, I haven't twisted wires for the last few years and don't accept amps that have heater hum and this way is much easier/neater.

From the AX84 article.

Merlin "This keeps the wires in close contact and parallel to each other"

Ballijukka "IMHO the actual twisting has nothing to do with the hum cancelling. It's just the most practical way to keep the two wires close together. I use normal double speaker cable and it works perfectly well."

if it was the twist you would need twisted circuit boards in all these mass produced amps, that would be interesting!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom