Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Let's Talk About Post Rock

What's Hot

Comments

• I know I'm going to show myself up here, but I've got some Post Rock (Kid A by Radiohead)

Nope Chris mate, you're right.  I've always said that Radiohead were very much influence by the like of Mogwai at the time just with a dah of NIN.

Deijavoo said:

Although, I do bloody hate Explosions In The Sky.

Last night I was going through some stuff and actually EITS kind of perfectly some up that line.  It lacks the aggression and passion of some other stuff and they way too often stray into the bland and predictable.  It very easily becomes background music.

Years ago when I worked in a record store things were easier but now with limited time to listen to new music I find it really tricky to track down something new without wading through so much shit.  It probably irritates my more because unlike a lot of other stuff where I can pretty much go "Yeah, love/hate this!" quite quickly, I find myself wasting so much time listening to the first three minutes of something that ultimately goes nowhere.  It's depressing both ways because it makes my too lazy to bother checking new stuff at points.  I'd gone through a long spell of reverting to the old faithfuls.  Then listening to @deijavoo's, @Drew_FX's and @GavHaus's stuff reminds me that there is actually great new stuff around and makes music exciting again.  As we started recording again I kind of needed that boot. 

I think the current drowning of the music scene (in London anyhow) with dullard 'two-notes, delay, reverb, repeat' post-rock is probably the most responsible for my malaise.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    edited September 2015
    Yeah, the enigmatic clean, tremolo picking build up middle section into nothing grinds my gears. Mainly as I'm guilty of writing that stuff far too often.

GY!BE do it to perfection mind you, Levez Vou never fails to "get me".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Deijavoo said:
    G!YBE do it to perfection mind you, Levez Vou never fails to "get me".
    By us is a common which is one of four highest points in London.  When you're pissed off or depressed nothing quite beats taking the dogs for a walk on a windy day, standing on the top of that hill listening to Skinny Fists or F#A#.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Imagining 28 Days Later? :-)

A guy I know/knew once did an ep with the sound of him solving a rubix cube included. 
  • Deijavoo said:
    Imagining 28 Days Later? :-)

Pretty much mate.  Although a viral-zombie holocaust would be a pain in many ways, going up to Wimbledon village to find it full of rich UKIP supporting zombies (so much like it is now) but with the legal need for a culling would be beneficial for our community.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The final scene was done up here and yes it is as desolate as it depicts there. Great film really.

It was released when I worked in a Virgin Megastore and had to endure the story of how they filmed the famous quiet London scenes on the hour, every hour.
  • Going by the names of some of those bands, I'm not into post rock. Please post your fave post rock tracks and I'll listen.
  • Thanks - will listen to this stuff throughout the day at work.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Only really liked the 28 Weeks Later track there, to be honest! SOrry!
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited September 2015
    Only really liked the 28 Weeks Later track there, to be honest! SOrry!
    No need to be sorry, that is the beauty of the scope of music we have to choose from.  Now if you said you didn't like Strats then that'd be a different story.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    edited September 2015
    :)
    EDIT : TBH I find a lot of it unchallenging and a bit boring - it's easy to play slow parts that meld together but it gets a bit repetitive and goes on for a bit, often sounding quite dull to me. I don't think it's a challenge for the artist in terms of technique or musicality. Each to their own though - I'm stuck in an 80s time warp.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    it's easy to play slow parts that meld together
    Hmmm... nope.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_fx said:
    it's easy to play slow parts that meld together
    Hmmm... nope.
    You're wrong man - Shred is the future.  If you can't shred your band's dead - end of.
  • I don't think it's a challenge for the artist in terms of technique or musicality.
    Out of interest, we can probably guess the areas you me when you say 'technique' as you've said you feel playing slow stuff the meld together is easy, but what do you consider to be challenging in 'musicality'? 
  • I'm still mentally scarred from listening to Russian Circles (who seem to get described as Post Rock) years ago. Whilst my tastes are fairly old bloke ones I've dabbled in a few things that many may find unlistenable / non mainstream but they took that to a new level for me. Maybe that's good, maybe there should be stuff that's challenging that I don't understand but Post Rock is a hard sell to some of us.

:(|)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    edited September 2015
    Lol, I don't mean to open a can of worms here!! 
    Just as the more shred/fusion/instrumental stuff isn't for everybody, neither is hard metal / Djent / post-rock / jazz for me. With the post-rock stuff I know loads of bands that do it (one of my pals here is in a band like that) and the parts seem a bit dull to me and pretty easy to play. NOT that everything has to be difficult to play (some Malmsteen sounds great but other stuff ridiculous) but I feel it's an easy way out and achievable by many. I find the nature of the music to be somewhat depressing and samey - I always like to hear lots of key changes or new ideas, atonality, different moods (I like happy stuff) and even if in the same key, parallel modulation and that sort of thing makes my ears stand up. I put a lot of this into my own stuff but arguably too much. I probably listen to 8 hours of music a day at least and my ear really becomes attuned to picking out multiple complex parts and listening out for nuances and new ideas. Some of the stuff here left me feeling dead bored (no offence!) and the thread about Steve Wilson - I don't get it. Now Guthrie, Greg Howe etc - that's exciting, challenging and musically interesting. Taking it a tone down where things are a tad easier but still musically thrilling, 80s bands like G N' R, Extreme, Van Halen - that's the shit right there! Such variety, pumps the blood and still retains an element of virtuosity. I like knowing these guys sweated blood and have attained a level of technical and musical mastery - top for instrumental musicality for me has to be Satriani - his tunes ooze it and we all know he uses parallel modulation, modes etc left right and centre. I know some of you guys are really into post-rock and play that sort of stuff and that's cool - it's just not my thing. I do "get" some jazz but that also sometimes leaves me feeling a bit bored, despite the complexity and virtuosity of a lot of it - the excitement factor is missing there. I don't know if I've covered musicality enough but with this stuff, I think it just lacks something. It's like people play random notes and it sounds ok to them and they piece it all together and this thing grows from it but it just sounds dead dull to me - there's nothing that catches my ear. I've probably been listening to too much extreme stuff! Also, I don't hate my mommy and daddy so that might have something to do with it (only joking lol, referencing my "disaffected youths" comment earlier). I don't see much of this stuff standing the test of time or being in the top charts (like Pink Floyd, Guns, Beatles etc). 
    Again, no offence - just not my thing. World would be boring if we all liked the same thing!