Barebones Amps...?

What's Hot
JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
Just noticed these - anybody got any experience of them?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2349
    Never heard of them... their prices on speaker cabs seem not too bad. Only 5 watt amps, though?

Also I saw they had some technical articles on the site, but I didn't get as far as reading them :))
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Unfortunately they have the ugliest home-made-looking corner protectors in history on the top corners, where they will snag on things and aren't needed... and none on the bottom corners where they're actually needed.

Given that I have no confidence that anything else about them will have been thought out properly. Harsh possibly, but that's just how they come across.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    edited November 2013
    @dave_mc Me neither :)

@ICBM Must admit I never noticed that at all... They were listing them on gumtree and saying they are handwired etc. but I've not noticed that on their site either.

Good spot on the corner protectors, ICBM. I didn't even notice that :))
    edited November 2013
    Dave_Mc said:
    I think a working lifetime of trying to remove horrible cheap metal corners that idiots have screwed onto vintage Marshalls and suchlike without leaving visible damage has made me overly sensitive to them ;).

It was literally the first thing I noticed. Without them, the amps wouldn't look too bad - although the quality of the vinyl fitting on the edges (most obvious on the red one) is very poor.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    It was literally the first thing I noticed. Without them, the amps wouldn't look too bad - although the quality of the vinyl fitting on the edges (most obvious on the red one) is very poor.

Me too.

Good luck to him at those prices!

ICBM said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    I think a working lifetime of trying to remove horrible cheap metal corners that idiots have screwed onto vintage Marshalls and suchlike without leaving visible damage has made me overly sensitive to them ;).

:))
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    would probably also help if they put the grill cloth on straight: it looks wavy! NOT a good look! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2097
    Bleurgh.
  • I actually know the chap who makes them- he's the other guitarist in my old band and a lovely bloke. The prototype for the little one sounded very nice this time last year.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited November 2013
    I actually know the chap who makes them- he's the other guitarist in my old band and a lovely bloke. The prototype for the little one sounded very nice this time last year.
    Could you pass on these comments please! The amps may sound nice, but they're terribly let down by awful finishing and just look badly made, rather than hand made. This is meant as a constructive criticism, even though I know it sounds harsh.

If he can't get the covering right, maybe he should consider plain wood cabinets? That would suit the 'Barebones' name very well in my opinion, as well as being less work. And quite possibly sounding better too… really! And maybe wicker grilles or something that doesn't show unevenness as much.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom