OilCity 'Masterwound' Route 66 Strat pickups

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10364
After months of testing in my own super heavy relic 'The Bastard' strat a new set of pickups is ready to be unveiled. 
I am proud to present the Masterwound Route 66

@PVO_Dave contacted me re pickups for his wonderful Monterrey Strat project you have probably drooled over in 'Making and Modding'.
What he wanted was pretty much exactly what I had been working on for the Route  66 Masterwound. So here is the story of making his pickups ... so you can see exactly the labour that goes into making a humble Strat pickup.

Firstly we start with the magnets. In this case alnico 5. For a early/mid sixties vibe they need to be in vintage staggered pattern.image

Here are all 36 magnets laid out according to length and position, and all matched for gauss and divided up for polarity. 

The next is hand beveling the magnets ... image

I do this by hand, and by eye ... exactly as it was done in the old Fender factory. By the mid sixties they were phasing out hand beveling, very labour intensive. I still prefer to do it ... sharp magnet edges can really bugger your fingers ... especially on a middle pickup. 
Now to give em a polish ... again by hand to take off any grinding marks.

I've used water and a sponge to clean the brown gunk caused by laser cutting from the proper gray 'Forbon' bottom flatwork. The eyelets are in place, but need setting so they grip the flatwork securely and don't stick up and grab the wire while winding.
The tool I am using is from Stew-Mac in the US and is invaluable.

The flatwork is rough in the magnet holes too ... so they are reamed to be a tight 'interference' fit 

Then the magnets are 'set' using my drill press.

To be continued
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10364
    tFB Trader

The top flatwork is added by hand using a small rubber mallet to tap it gently into place while the magnets are held by a former.

A final tapping in place then ...

A fillet of super glue is run around top and bottom of the magnets ... not only to keep them in place ... but to stop sweat and moisture getting to the windings.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Wow amazing level of detail and TLC on these price for a set?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2015 tFB Trader
    Around £140 ... and you haven't seen half of it yet lol

tFB Trader

At over £200 a roll proper US stock PVA plain enamel don't come cheap ... nor is it easy to work with. The coating is thin and delicate and the dark colour of the wire makes it nearly impossible to see while winding ... even with a good back light which I have! Added to this it isn't 'solder-thru' so the ends have to be stripped before soldering to the eyelets .... arggggh

This is the traverse saddle on one of my CNC winding machines ... to the right is the felt lined tensioner/feed used for CNC winding ... to the right the 'guide' I use for hand scatter winding when the machine is in fully manual mode.

About the five hundred turns stage

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    All three pickups wound ... and now the cloth covered hookup wires are added

Here they are after a soak in a wax potting bath .... see the lovely colour the windings have gone?
    Fender were very hit and miss about potting in the sixties ... some lacquer dipped, spme wax potted, and some just left with nothing. I like to use a short wax bath ... to keep the tone but stop the screech.
    Here you can clearly see the random scatter pattern ... and from the side view the 'pot bellied stove' coil shape I have copied from the very best sixties originals I've re wound

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Covers and screws fitted

Then each pickup gets a green 'Masterwound' label, signed by me, and with a special serial number.

Then they are packed ... and ready to leave the workshop for their new home
     :-)

Enjoy @PVO_Dave

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Damn you, damn you, damn you....

I was just thinking that I was happy with my tone etc. and you pull a stunt like this!

I'll have to go and get another Strat now.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    Ash, these look amazing. Can't wait to get these in the Monterey Pop, although probably a few weeks off yet :)
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6130
    tFB Trader
    full of all the mojo!!! awesome
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Really interesting to see those pics and get a little insight into what you do.. very talented!
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    Arrived safe and sound this morning, thanks @TheGuitarWeasel - With any luck I'll have the body by next week and I can start putting this together :D
  • I'm really excited to try my masterwound tele pickups - all the parts have arrived this morning, but I'm away all weekend so I'll not wire it up until next week! And I'm working Monday and Tuesday... BAH!
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    And there was me thinking it was all a piece of piss! I genuinely debated getting myself setup to make pickups, having had a gander at this I'll give it a miss,fuck that for a laugh.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    lamf68 said:
    And there was me thinking it was all a piece of piss! I genuinely debated getting myself setup to make pickups, having had a gander at this I'll give it a miss,fuck that for a laugh.
    Anyone can wind pickups ... it's magnets and wire that's all. What makes 'good sounding' is knowing which tiny details make a difference. Give two different winders the same parts and raw materials and you will get two very different sounding pickups. Experience is expensive in wire and patience. The first set of Strat pickups I ever made sounded gorgeous ... then flushed with success I made three more sets ... that all sounded pants. Took me ages to retro engineer back in what I'd done to the first one that was so 'right'. These days I usually get what I'm shooting for first attempt with a new design ... but that was loads of practice ... and lots of rewinding of old fifties and sixties units to see what made them good. I still cock up big style sometimes!

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Beautiful! It's nice to see proper craft in action.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16667
    lamf68 said:
    Anyone can wind pickups ... it's magnets and wire that's all. What makes 'good sounding' is knowing which tiny details make a difference. Give two different winders the same parts and raw materials and you will get two very different sounding pickups. Experience is expensive in wire and patience. The first set of Strat pickups I ever made sounded gorgeous ... then flushed with success I made three more sets ... that all sounded pants. Took me ages to retro engineer back in what I'd done to the first one that was so 'right'. These days I usually get what I'm shooting for first attempt with a new design ... but that was loads of practice ... and lots of rewinding of old fifties and sixties units to see what made them good. I still cock up big style sometimes!

I would agree with that.  I have done a few for the experience, and it is possible to get working pickups that sound good for less money, just needs a bit more ingenuity.

Consistency is a whole different story, thats really what you pay for

pickup kits an parts are more eaisly available these days, and wire can be had in smaller spools than the ones Ash would purchase.

My first were made on a slowed down drill press, but there are many other DIY winders on the internets which are suitable for mucking about with... less suitable for regular production

• relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    stunning!

they really deserve the masterwound label. I wonder how Fender's mastebuilt quality compares.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    There is clearly a lot of knowledge and skill that goes into these pickups. Can I ask what are the main differences between the Masterwound and standard ranges of Oil City pickups?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Megii said:
    There is clearly a lot of knowledge and skill that goes into these pickups. Can I ask what are the main differences between the Masterwound and standard ranges of Oil City pickups?
    The standard Oil city range of pickups can either be wound by me or my assistant.  With Masterwound every stage is done personally by me. Masterwound use some more exotic components, like rough cast magnets in some of the humbuckers, and very expensive US sourced wire. 

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Megii said:
    The standard Oil city range of pickups can either be wound by me or my assistant.  With Masterwound every stage is done personally by me. Masterwound use some more exotic components, like rough cast magnets in some of the humbuckers, and very expensive US sourced wire. 

Cheers, sounds good - appreciate the info, thanks.