Gigs in Edinburgh

What's Hot

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Just YouTube'd some of the acts. I'd have thought we'd have compared favourably!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    edited March 2016
    Did a gig at Binkies on Sunday and it was amazing - place was rammed from rugby crowd and the french guys loved our singer and were kissing her hand and even holding her lyrics up for a new song near the end! Was a total rush :p My sister got up too for a duet on the Transvision Vamp cover - she's been singing around Edin for 20yrs as well as doing function bands and cruises/Abba tributes!

We have a 3x45 set lined up later this month for The Starbank in Newhaven and also our vid from Sunday has garnered us some interest from Malone's. Also play Inchcolm Inn later this year - so much for a part time fun band...getting busy! 
    Need to catch a few more of you guys live - I am not out in town much as wife works 1wk on 1wk off as a vet nurse on nightshift but I always return the favour if someone sees us.

Here's some Sheryl Crow - but we do everything from Queen to ACDC, Kiss, Blondie, Dusty Springfield, Pink etc - pretty wide range of songs.
    edited March 2016
    Never heard of the Malt Shovel. I only drink the cola (or cider if I'm not driving). Too many colas isn't a good thing. 

Wow, Ireland? That's awesome! And why not! 
    Things have MUCH improved now we have the new drummer... 

My dad used to play the Malt Shovel when I was about 18! He was a director of all the jean shops in that street and they played there a lot. He was a touring pro guitarist when I was younger

Have you been to the club? I haven't.. Worth going (as a spectator)?

We played there at the end of last year (diff band and it was supporting a mates band - Cheapest Trick) and it's a good venue with good gear and decent PA/desk - we were given a good soundcheck etc - punters were good too - decent enough place - lots of 80s and 90s rock on the TVs in between bands - was like MTV or The Power Hour all over again :p 

Wow, well done man!!
    I'm allowed out for practice and odd gig but she's literally starting chemo tomorrow so will see what time I have. Will defo come see you, though. I like the starbank! Good fish and chips lol. Well done on getting a paid binkies slot
    Wow, well done man!!
    I'm allowed out for practice and odd gig but she's literally starting chemo tomorrow so will see what time I have. Will defo come see you, though. I like the starbank! Good fish and chips lol. Well done on getting a paid binkies slot
    Nice of you to offer but just focus on the girlfriend mate - we can wait for you to come and see us :D Wish her all the best.
    That's our 4th or 5th paid Binkies slot and we just found out Gaz also books for Biblos!

Another good one for any of you Edinburgh bands is the Sunday Service down in The Village in Leith - it's an open mic kind of thing but you do an hour either side of the open hour - nice wee place and good atmosphere. Contact them thru FB. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5466
    Out of interest, what are the names of your bands? Are any of you playing Binkies next Thursday/Friday, 24/25th?
    This is ours, check out the soundcloud link at the top left:

Not scheduled for anything soon. 

@Vaiai - cheers! It's been full-on. Sometimes I don't have time to play even at home - gutted lol! 
    Biblos... have heard of it. Best gig we did was Opium - great stage, crowd and sound. 

The Village eh? Will check it out at some point, thanks. I'm not actually in town that much so it's good to hear of these places!
    Just got a Saturday night gig at Biblos - anyone played there?

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    No...it must be tiny though? Where do the bands play?

No...it must be tiny though? Where do the bands play?

I think it's a function area downstairs or something? Seen a vid on YouTube with a 4 pc band and I know Gilchrist played there and they have full band and 3 brass! Seen them squashed in rehearsal rooms at Verden before tho so they must be used to it :D
    I need to get to some more of these venues, I'm well out of touch!
    Starbank Inn was a decent wee gig - typical pub crowd not too busy but it was easter and rainy - didn't get asked to turn down which was nice :p We kept it civil.Only 2 power sockets tho so many extensions required :D

We are playing in Biblos (Chambers Street) tomorrow night from 10pm - then we are at The Jam House on the 22nd - cannot wait for that gig! They asked for a stage plan and any requirements on the desk/monitors etc You know it's a different level when they plan all that in advance! 
    IME they ask for it then you get there and they haven't taken any notice of what you sent and you get the same rigmarole you normally do :)

I always thought people did it because they thought it made them seem more pro. At the end of it you're still scrabbling around for enough DI boxes and the sampler has to run in mono...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72295
    That's my experience there too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited May 2016
    Biblos was ok, they are better with solo up to trio and background music I reckon - house PA really best for acoustic acts too.
    Jam House gig on Friday and no other bands playing so our 40 min set just changed to "play as long as you want" :p Looking forward to that Nice setup and the sound guy and staff met us on Tuesday during the day for a chat. Most professional place yet...
    Ship Inn Musselburgh this Saturday, approx 7:30/8pm - midnight (ish). 
    It's bassist's daughter's 21st but you're welcome along. Buffet at 9pm lol. 
    We're playing two 45 min (ish) sets.
    My band are playing Electric Circus on Saturday 7th, first on of a three band bill, topped by American alt-rockers Wussy. Doors at 7, we're on at 7.30-8...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    I like Wussy. A bit hit and miss but when it works, they're great.
    Ship Inn Musselburgh this Saturday, approx 7:30/8pm - midnight (ish). 
    It's bassist's daughter's 21st but you're welcome along. Buffet at 9pm lol. 
    We're playing two 45 min (ish) sets.
    Colin invited me to this on FB but we are gigging Inchcolm Inn on Sat and back at The Jam House in June :) Enjoy!