Gigs in Edinburgh

What's Hot

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    edited January 2016
    Wow, assume that's a paid one! Nice one!
    Hold on... that's 3 bands here that have been bumped up apart from the one I play in. Noooooo!! :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5458
    I'm in Edinburgh just now and all I have to look forward to is a 6 hour sales meeting.
  • Wow, assume that's a paid one! Nice one!
    Hold on... that's 3 bands here that have been bumped up apart from the one I play in. Noooooo!! :(
    Just ask and when he offers you the half 10 slot on a Wednesday tell him that's no good.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • To be fair we got offered another slot but we're now auditioning new drummers...
    ... we might have a gig at Opium in February if the drummer can get up and running...
    ... I still want to do more rock, though! I'm under-utilised lol!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStu said:
    I'm in Edinburgh just now and all I have to look forward to is a 6 hour sales meeting.
    How long you here for?
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    There's a Jam called the Sunday Service in South Fort Street in Leith and my band Stoked Jones are hosting the event - they have guest hosts so if you are not too hungover by 4pm - come along!
    https://www.facebook.com/stokedjones/videos/vb.881952051883691/987731817972380/?type=2&theater
    Dance along like this punter at our Cowshed gig :p
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    Just a bump for my band - Kurtz - playing at Whistlebinkies again on Thursday 4th February at 9.15 to 10pm approx. In which I will be playing fuzz bass a lot - various rock covers done in our own ramshackle roughly garage-rock style. There are a couple of new songs in the set if you've seen us before! And a good opportunity to celebrate the end of Dry January if you haven't already...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    ICBM said:
    Just a bump for my band - Kurtz - playing at Whistlebinkies again on Thursday 4th February at 9.15 to 10pm approx. In which I will be playing fuzz bass a lot - various rock covers done in our own ramshackle roughly garage-rock style. There are a couple of new songs in the set if you've seen us before! And a good opportunity to celebrate the end of Dry January if you haven't already...
    Played last night - was packed and we had a ball :p Had a group of Spanish girls in who danced and sang along all night - that helps :p 
    Hope to catch you soon man!
  • How'd it go, @ICBM? ;

@Vaiai - you always seem to get great crowds - nice one!

I'm still restricted somewhat but girlfriend's daughter is going to look after her so our band can do a 30-40 min gig at Opium on Friday 19th Feb. Will see how that goes!
    How'd it go, @ICBM?
    Not as good as the last couple. The sound engineer was different, and although he was a nice chap he was one of those "turn it down on stage and I'll put it back in the monitors for you" ones. Unfortunately, despite repeated requests for it, none of us could hear any guitar in the monitors. Punters reckoned the guitar was too quiet out front too. I could only hear my bass in the monitors when I had my fuzz on, and not very much of the vocals at any point.

The singer's new vocal multi-effect thing screwed up at one point too - I'm not sure exactly what happened, but it got swiftly disconnected.

But we still seemed to go down OK, despite at least a couple of the songs being a chaotic mess! No-One Knows in particular, which I really need to hear the guitar on to keep it tight.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The curse of Binkies. The 'straight-out-of-soundperson-school' soundperson, who doesn't realise that the monitors are all shite there and it's such a small stage you may as well use the backline.

There used to be three great sound engineers there - Keith, Chris and a young lady whose name I forget, who totally 'got it' and could balance the need to get the sound out into the rest of the pub with the need to get some vibe on stage. Keith especially was on the ball, I'd have hired him in a heartbeat if we'd needed a roving soundguy...course they all left eventually.
    Yes… if you have a fairly loud drummer (we do, although he's not stupid loud) then there's just no point in trying to get everything down to the level where the backline isn't really audible out front - all I could hear on stage half the time was drums.

The band following us got told to turn the guitar down "a lot" too, but from where I was standing it was perfect before he did. I couldn't really hear their bass player much either. And the loudest thing was still their drummer, to the point it sounded odd in places.

If we get this guy again we'll just have to be less cooperative about levels I think. I really don't like to do that.

• We were in on the 29th (I forgot to bump this thread as I'd just moved and everything was a bit manic). We had a Michael on sound and he was alright. Our bassist said he couldn't hear much in his monitors but I could hear my vocals enough and I purposely parked my Classic 30 on top of the house orange half stack, so I could hear myself fine and the only alteration I need to make was to turn the treble up a bit as someone said I wasn't cutting through.

The band after (Matt Gloss & the Emulsions) us had a great sound but they are a wedding band, and a pretty tight one at that.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • Oh man, sucks about monitor level!!
    If I can't hear what's going on, I'd be very disheartened - sorry to hear it :(
    Oh man, sucks about monitor level!!
    If I can't hear what's going on, I'd be very disheartened - sorry to hear it :(
    Yes, so was the guitarist. He came offstage saying it was the worst sound he'd ever had at a gig - couldn't even hear himself half the time, let alone the rest of us hearing him.

I tend to give the benefit of the doubt and trust the soundman, assuming it sounds fine out front, but apparently the guitar was too quiet and the bass was too muffled-sounding - which was what it was like with the next band, so I assume it was for us too. The problem is what happens when you know this and want to turn up more, but it ends up as a stand-off with the soundman...

• That sucks... Forget disheartened, I'd be raging actually... 
    But what can you do - have you got any other venues lined up? 
    That sucks... Forget disheartened, I'd be raging actually... 
    But what can you do - have you got any other venues lined up? 
    One in Glasgow in May, not sure of the exact venue or date yet. I'd quite like to do some better ones in Edinburgh too though.

• Our bassist got us the one in Opium - I remember it was a "heavy" place from times past so will let you know how that is. Bannermans? Not sure where else.
  • Oh no. We have a new drummer who is really great and he's suggested some new songs. I like the rock ones. But some are mainly crowd pleasers. E.G. Mr brightside. We've always said we wouldn't do the "well recognised" or overly played ones like that.
    I actually don't know if I can bring myself to play songs like that.
    Our bassist got us the one in Opium - I remember it was a "heavy" place from times past so will let you know how that is. Bannermans? Not sure where else.
    Bannerman's is a waste of time unless you're bringing your own crowd. The layout of the place means that no-one goes through to see the bands they haven't come specifically to see.

Oh no. We have a new drummer who is really great and he's suggested some new songs. I like the rock ones. But some are mainly crowd pleasers. E.G. Mr brightside. We've always said we wouldn't do the "well recognised" or overly played ones like that.
    I actually don't know if I can bring myself to play songs like that.
    Just don't. There are tons of other great songs, even by the Killers.