Fractal FX8 users question

What's Hot

Comments

• PwaloPwalo Frets: 113
    John_P said:
    Pwalo said:
    John_P said:
    I very nearly went ahead with the fx8 - the spec is perfect for gigs.      

I just thought there might be times when the modelling might be handy and the difference in price shouldn't be much. 

I get that the fx8 is designed around the way I'll use effects and I'll be running the ax8 with the amp models disabled most of the time but I can live with that, for the advantage of having the amp models ready if I have an amp fault or for recording.  I've got a temporary live rig using a gt5 or pedals that will cover me while I'm waiting so I figured I'd get the ax.

Not sure the Ax8 has the hum cancelling technology for 4cm. II can't believe I am saying this being a valve total fanboy. I have ordered AX8. Will use for modelling though on small stages

How/where did you order your ax8? Can't see it on G66 site....

Just email Sussi at G66 and she'll add you to the list. 

Cheers. Was there a price mentioned?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I am budgeting for £35 more than fx8.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Nothing confirmed over here yet.   I made some estimates of around £1250 in the ax8 thread, but I'm just guessing based on the US price being $50 more. 
  • My figure will be pretty accurate. We had a chat today.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    Can't work out why the fx8 is 1300 dollars in the US and 1600 euros from g66 for Europe. I know we always get stiffed over here but thats really taking the piss
  • relic245 said:
    Can't work out why the fx8 is 1300 dollars in the US and 1600 euros from g66 for Europe. I know we always get stiffed over here but thats really taking the piss

I wonder if Fractal gives g66 enough of a discount (so g66 can make a reasonable margin)? If they don't, g66 will have to use a higher list price for Europe.

Also, I guess there may be no VAT (or state tax) on Fractal's online prices.

• DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    welshboyo said:
    Cheers @octatonic and @dunstanmus

Helped make my mind up for certain!!

I'm never ever going to use modelling if I'm honest, I just need a control centre for a valve amp rig, ok, the whole nice to have feature is something to think about but in reality I'm a gigging player with an amp behind me and always will be

@John_P what made you change to AX8 is it just the modelling that you have a need for outside gigging?

@Welshboyo: Have you received your FX8 yet? Curious to her your first impressions. Mine arrives Wednesday.
    welshboyo said:

I'm never ever going to use modelling if I'm honest, I just need a control centre for a valve amp rig, ok, the whole nice to have feature is something to think about but in reality I'm a gigging player with an amp behind me and always will be

@John_P what made you change to AX8 is it just the modelling that you have a need for outside gigging?

@Welshboyo: Have you received your FX8 yet? Curious to her your first impressions. Mine arrives Wednesday.
    welshboyo said:

@Welshboyo, did you get your FX8 yet? If so how are you finding it? Mine should arrive tomorrow...
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    @DavusPG mine being delivered today too, can't wait and can't help feeling I've made the right decision too, which helps!!

From the user reviews out there, it looks like the Helix was too modeller heavy for what I needed it for..
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    did you see the Pete Thorn review this week ? If i was in the market for such a device i would be leaning heavily towards the AX8. I had an Axe FX ultra back in 2010 and it was great.

Yes, seen that and that was the FX8!! Sounded great through his CAE amps in 4cm
    @Welshboyo

I'm also excited to get mine. I haven't refined my board and setup since I started getting interested in the Helix and ultimately the FX8 so it's been a bit of a botch job for the past couple of months. Looking forward to finally getting everything dialed in & saved. From the demos I've heard and looking on forums I'm pretty confident it can replace all of my pedals which is exactly what I want. Just weighing up whether to go for the EV-1 too.

My only reservation is how easy to edit the FX8 will be. I've never owned an Axe FX, but they looked like a potential nightmare in terms of dialling stuff in. As it's just effects though I'm hoping it'll be no different to my H9 or Timeline.

Let me know how you get on with it.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    welshboyo said:
    Yes, seen that and that was the FX8!! Sounded great through his CAE amps in 4cm
    I have a Suhr PT50.
    The audio in the video is fine- it sounds much better in the room, as you would expect.
  • DavusPG said:
    @Welshboyo

I'm also excited to get mine. I haven't refined my board and setup since I started getting interested in the Helix and ultimately the FX8 so it's been a bit of a botch job for the past couple of months. Looking forward to finally getting everything dialed in & saved. From the demos I've heard and looking on forums I'm pretty confident it can replace all of my pedals which is exactly what I want. Just weighing up whether to go for the EV-1 too.

My only reservation is how easy to edit the FX8 will be. I've never owned an Axe FX, but they looked like a potential nightmare in terms of dialling stuff in. As it's just effects though I'm hoping it'll be no different to my H9 or Timeline.

You will be amazed at how easy it is to edit. I hate programming. Wire it to your computer and you are away - very intuitive. My EV-1 has been delivered today. Don't really need it though other than wah. This last weekend I did the wah on tap tempo and it was much netter than using a pedal. The delay is a single algo with tape, analogue, digital and 2290. All the same with eq pre set for the desired effect. Once you sort the mix and tempo you will find you don't have to do much. It is the best piece of kit I have purchased in the last 10 years. I played a Helix for a few hours whilst in the US recently. I personally couldn't get it to sound as good. I use a Suhr minimix in the fx loop to keep the post effects in great shape.
  • Man that drive pedal sim sounded incredible through the cae amp! Could possibly live with this and my matchless...
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    @DavusPG

FX8 here, only had a chance to quickly run through the stock presets, 2 words HOLY SHIT!!!

Will do Strymon delays easily, well as much as I need anyway, rotary is probably the best I've heard/played..but the real icing on the cake is the drives, could quite easily just use the Shiva on the clean channel and use the drives, they all sound wonderful.

Going to try and get it up and running for the weekends gigs!!
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Glad to hear you're impressed with it - part of me wishes I'd kept my order for the fx8 instead of transferring to the ax8 - I'd have been gigging it now instead of the gt5 I'm using until the ax arrives.

I can't wait to hear how good the fractal effects sound :) 
    DavusPG said:
    @Welshboyo

You will be amazed at how easy it is to edit. I hate programming. Wire it to your computer and you are away - very intuitive. My EV-1 has been delivered today. Don't really need it though other than wah. This last weekend I did the wah on tap tempo and it was much netter than using a pedal. The delay is a single algo with tape, analogue, digital and 2290. All the same with eq pre set for the desired effect. Once you sort the mix and tempo you will find you don't have to do much. It is the best piece of kit I have purchased in the last 10 years. I played a Helix for a few hours whilst in the US recently. I personally couldn't get it to sound as good. I use a Suhr minimix in the fx loop to keep the post effects in great shape.
    Thanks for the reply, sounds promising. I have already downloaded the FX8 edit software so I am good to go, only bummer is that I'm now working tomorrow so will be a while before I get to properly sit down with it as half term. 
    welshboyo said:
    @DavusPG

FX8 here, only had a chance to quickly run through the stock presets, 2 words HOLY SHIT!!!

Will do Strymon delays easily, well as much as I need anyway, rotary is probably the best I've heard/played..but the real icing on the cake is the drives, could quite easily just use the Shiva on the clean channel and use the drives, they all sound wonderful.

Going to try and get it up and running for the weekends gigs!!
    Congrats - sounds as though you're impressed?!

Great news if it covers my other pedals as that will help pay for it!

What amp are you using it with? Do you envisage using it through a clean amp or all sorts?

Please keep me posted as it'll be tomorrow night before I get to try mine - on a side note was it you I sold my MM Luke 2 DD back on the musicradar forum? It definitely went to Wales!

Enjoy the FX8