Nuts, strings and things ... ???

What's Hot

I really want to try Jon Gomm's Newtone set, but generally use Elixir 12s.

The Newtones are 14-68 so the slots would definitely need widening a bit, but would I be fine to go back to my usual 12s if the 14s crippled me? Without needing a new nut?

Thanks!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Yes, if the grooves are cut correctly - with a smoothly rounded bottom ( ;) ), so the string will self-centre in it no matter what the gauge. I've converted guitars into baritones and back to normal before now without replacing the nut.

It's a myth that the nut grooves need to be accurately sized for the string gauge - in fact, they work better and cause less tuning problems when they're significantly wider, as long as they're done like that… the string then only contacts the nut along a line at the bottom, so minimising friction.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sweet! Thank you! Just have to be sure to take it to someone reliable now!

Any chance you have some equally in depth info on the Planet Waves PW-SH-01 being used with a magnetic soundhole pickup? Most likely the Fishman R.E.B .....

Thanks again

• ICBM;809674" said:
    Yes, if the grooves are cut correctly - with a smoothly rounded bottom ( ;) ), so the string will self-centre in it no matter what the gauge. I've converted guitars into baritones and back to normal before now without replacing the nut.

It's a myth that the nut grooves need to be accurately sized for the string gauge - in fact, they work better and cause less tuning problems when they're significantly wider, as long as they're done like that… the string then only contacts the nut along a line at the bottom, so minimising friction.
    That doesn't help if there's much string splay at the headstock though! The walls then come into play to a far greater degree (no pun intended).

• It'd be on a Lowden if that helps any?

Thanks for the input guitargeek62

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    As long as there's a decent break angle over the nut it shouldn't make much difference.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Sassafras said:

As long as there's a decent break angle over the nut it shouldn't make much difference.
    Correct. All that happens is that the contact is no longer in the middle. If the groove is a smooth rounded curve of a larger diameter than the string, there can only be a single line of contact no matter if the string bends sideways or not.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Sounds like it probably worth a go :) Thanks