Set-Up in Leeds/Essex

fobfob Frets: 1430
Hi,

I bought an acoustic without playing from an established shop that prided itself on its professional set-up. However, apart from the D and G strings being put on the wrong way round, the action is a little on the high side - low E about 5mm at the 12th fret. It seems like a good guitar so a good set-up should leave me happy.

I know there's a recommended list on the electric forum but I think these are mainly aimed at electric set-ups (of course there will be some crossover). So, I wondered if anybody had someone particularly good at acoustics in mind for West Yorkshire or Essex that they use and are happy with.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GruGru Frets: 339
    Though I haven't used them. There is a workshop in Barleylands (Rainbow Music). They do instrument building and setup the guitars that they have on sale in the shop.

I have purchased a couple of guitars from them and they were very nice to play.

• I popped into Northern Acoustics in Leeds Corn Exchange when I was up there. They fitted a strap button for me for free! :) And they have a pretty nice selection of Martins so you would assume they know what's what
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
    If you are still looking, Fraser Callum in Leeds is the man
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    GazLion said:
    If you are still looking, Fraser Callum in Leeds is the man
    If I remember correctly, he studied under Ted Lee - possibly the greatest of all the UK repairers. Though I've no personal knowledge of his work, I know Ted well and he is an uncompromising individual. I'd expect Fraser to be very good indeed.
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
    He certainly is! The best luthier I've ever used for sure. Shame I now live 350 miles away! 
  • fobfob Frets: 1430

Thanks guys - exactly the kind of recommendation I was looking for. I'm in Leeds at the mo - unfortunately the guitar is in Essex; I'll pick it up next time I'm down.

• TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    I too have used Fraser Callum - top bloke who does quality work.
    We are all Chameleons...
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7323
    edited November 2015
    £31 to swap your pickups and then he charges extra to put new strings back on for you? Is that normal? I would travel a bit further out and go to Shane Haigh in Horbury. He's over 20 years experience, and I've given him thousands of pounds in refrets, resprays, pickup swaps and fret levels and I've never once been disappointed. I went in yesterday preparing to give him the money for a full refret on my new LP Custom (I want jumbo refrets) and within 5 seconds of me opening the case he'd told me it had a disguised neck break and he didnt want to take my money until he's sure it won't just be a waste once done. No different with acoustics.