Stop the pedal madness!

What's Hot
robmac5150robmac5150 Frets: 173
Just done it again. Splurged on new stuff and sitting here thinking i wish id kept my old stuff. This is truly crazy!
4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Well keep the old stuff when you spend on new, that way you get best of both..........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10645
    Yes, the correct way is: buy the old stuff, buy the new stuff, sell the new stuff. NOT buy the old stuff, sell the old stuff, buy the new stuff, buy the old stuff again, sell the new stuff.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    mike_l said:
    Well keep the old stuff when you spend on new, that way you get best of both..........
    definitely this. 

Unless a particular bit of old stuff isn't being used at all and is suddenly becomes 'worth something'. Then sell that and buy even more new stuff!
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    Keep the new stuff for a while. Play with it. I've done that with a couple pedals despite not bonding with them straight away..
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    edited November 2013
    You definitely shouldn't sell the old stuff before you know whether you like the new stuff. I see so many people do this, and it's just much easier to take half the total cost of the old and new stuff in cash into your back garden and set fire to it ;).

I actually thought this thread was going to be about something else... :)

Every time you see a band on TV now the guitarists have got huge custom pedalboards crammed with effects, most of which they only use for one section in one song or something. I can't moralise too much since I did that as well for about seven years in the early 2000s - but it's become an annoying cliché now, and I'm thinking of going back to a multi-FX unit, a couple of pedals on the floor or even straight into the amp, just to be different. I haven't actually gigged with an electric guitar much in the last five years, but I still have two complete pedalboards in storage... can't quite decide whether to break them up and sell the pedals or not.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    ICBM said:
    Every time you see a band on TV now the guitarists have got huge custom pedalboards crammed with effects, most of which they only use for one section in one song or something.
    Ahem... :-\"
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7472
    edited November 2013
    If I was gigging, I'd have a channel switcher, boost, distortion (possibly but I'd likely have a gainy amp), and envelope filter or wah in front and chorus and delay/verb in the loop (zoom ms70 or maybe a deluxe memory boy).

That, for me, would be quite extensive. I'd only need wah sounds on a song or two, if that, and the rest could easily be covered by any amp with a switchable master or in built boost circuit and just have a multi effects in the loop.

I still want shit loads of pedals because they're fun...
  • just had the same problem! been happy with my board for a year or so now and nothing moved and then decided to go another route and sold 80 percent of my board and then didnt like the new stuff which i gigged for a couple of weeks. So sold the new stuff and went and bought all the old stuff from andertons today!

Job done my gas and stress is now over and my pedalboard is back to normal!

I will say though i bought a zoom ms70cdr and im pretty bowled over with it for the price it does a hell of a lot for £89 and it sounds bloody good!
  • I gigged the new board Sat night. Some of its gonna stay (mobius) - twas much fun. Delay wise im heading back to DD3. Just cant see past them .....well an El Cap is better but.....nuff said
  • And the Diamond Comp is the biz too.
  • ICBM said:
    You definitely shouldn't sell the old stuff before you know whether you like the new stuff. I see so many people do this, and it's just much easier to take half the total cost of the old and new stuff in cash into your back garden and set fire to it ;).

Wash your mouth out. Without that approach to gear acquisition, our classifieds area would be full of tumbleweed... :D
    <space for hire>
  • Selling stuff before I buy new, for me stems from guilt. I shouldn't be buying new stuff but feel better if I've relieved some cash from elsewhere. Luckily I don't have a mrs who minds me buying stuff but I still feel guilty :) However, I just bought a dinasaural compressor but didn't have anything to sell but glad I bought it :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23938
    ICBM said:

I actually thought this thread was going to be about something else... :)

Every time you see a band on TV now the guitarists have got huge custom pedalboards crammed with effects, most of which they only use for one section in one song or something. I can't moralise too much since I did that as well for about seven years in the early 2000s - but it's become an annoying cliché now, and I'm thinking of going back to a multi-FX unit, a couple of pedals on the floor or even straight into the amp, just to be different. I haven't actually gigged with an electric guitar much in the last five years, but I still have two complete pedalboards in storage... can't quite decide whether to break them up and sell the pedals or not.
    I purposely bought a smaller board to force myself to cut down. Pedal Train Junior is just right for a couple of drive choices, compressor, delay and verb and a phaser. And a tuner.
  • I think I got pedal burnout. I bought so many of the bloody things that I'm drowning in them and its just causing hassle now. I can't be arsed to sell them either so just chuck them In a box and plug straight in.

I'm sure that they'll come out again at some point though when I get bored.
  • Plug straight in is great if you have the right guitar with the right amp and are playing more or less in the same style throughout, but even Matt Schofield and Larry Carlton have mini-boards with OD and delay inter alia.  I'm running two pedalboards now: a minimalist one (wah/tuner/OD/chorus/delay) and a big ol'-fashioned one using a GigRig Midi 8 and a CIOKS AC-10 for the non-standard power pedals.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • Selling stuff before I buy new, for me stems from guilt. I shouldn't be buying new stuff but feel better if I've relieved some cash from elsewhere. Luckily I don't have a mrs who minds me buying stuff but I still feel guilty :) However, I just bought a dinasaural compressor but didn't have anything to sell but glad I bought it :)

Yeah im exactly the same . Try and be sensible but looks like its costing me more in the long term
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    I think thats it im selling all my pedals and just using the effects on the amp. then i cant be bothered selling them and then a few weeks later i think. Im glad i didnt sell this and this and i must try that out, i havent really used that. If im honest i dont need any of the effects i have as i have a Vox valvetronix and a Superchamp but i look at my Wem Dominator and i think im gonna need some effects for that one day (which will never arrive). Its difficult to justify most of my stuff as i dont gig, simple as that really but i cant help myself!
  • vizviz Frets: 10645
    Right. Dead simple. No room for errors. Wah, keeley metalzone for high but rich gain, amp modeller for a bit of beef and some light delay, and my new DI box. Lovely :) http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab217/Vizzage/Mobile Uploads/image_zpsa1e0b6e5.jpg
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.