Sound hole pickup..

What's Hot
What are the pro's and con's/differences, if any, of single coil, and humbucking sound hole pickups, soundwise, for acoustics..? I'm thinking about a fishman neo d. I had one, before - humbucking version, as it happens..
 so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    Pretty much the same as for electric guitar pickups - single coils have a clearer, more 'direct' kind of tone. They are drastically noisier though, because soundhole pickups always have a lower output and worse signal-to-noise ratio than an electric guitar pickup, due to the bronze wound strings and the need to reduce the volume of the plain strings to match.

I really wouldn't recommend a non-humbucking one unless you're only going to use it somewhere you know you aren't going to have noise problems.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Thanks @ICBM! Toying with the idea of getting one, for if I start playing out, again. I'll stick with the humbucking version, I reckon.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• I just got a Rare Earth Blend through - Sounds great! Nice addition of having the mic built in with it and using a Y lead for proper stereoness

I've got a Dimarzio Black Angel in another guitar and that is also a really nice sounding pickup. Quite natural for a sound hole mag. Adjustable pole pieces too

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Hmmmmm.. Food for thought..