Tim Miller's Site

What's Hot
Any other members here who are also members of Tim Miller's site for lessons?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Afraid not - if I'm honest, I often find his playing a bit too "out there" and cerebral for my taste - I guess too avant garde or cutting edge ultra modern, however you want to put it - although that's not to say I don't occasionally like to listen to him via Youtube. I'm only posting to say this out of interest, not to imply any criticism of TM - far be it for the likes of me to do that... I did get the "Creative Chordal Harmony" book he wrote with Mick Goodrick - probably the title sold it to me, as I am keen on chords/harmony, but again I find it's just a bit too "out there" for me to want to spend a lot of time on - and I think to do it justice would require a lot of time. Hope I haven't made myself seem like an old fuddy duddy - it's just that I do struggle a bit to really connect with some of the newer, "ultra-modern" jazz players that have emerged recently.
  • Megii said:
    Afraid not - if I'm honest, I often find his playing a bit too "out there" and cerebral for my taste - I guess too avant garde or cutting edge ultra modern, however you want to put it - although that's not to say I don't occasionally like to listen to him via Youtube. I'm only posting to say this out of interest, not to imply any criticism of TM - far be it for the likes of me to do that... I did get the "Creative Chordal Harmony" book he wrote with Mick Goodrick - probably the title sold it to me, as I am keen on chords/harmony, but again I find it's just a bit too "out there" for me to want to spend a lot of time on - and I think to do it justice would require a lot of time. Hope I haven't made myself seem like an old fuddy duddy - it's just that I do struggle a bit to really connect with some of the newer, "ultra-modern" jazz players that have emerged recently.
    @Megii Some of the concepts on his site are quite traditional but, if there is a lot of modern stuff on there too.  He plays through some changes and then explains what he is doing and some of it is surprisingly simple concept wise.  Not for you I guess.  

He hasn't as of yet gone into the Creative Chordal Harmony thing and I don't think he will.  I still don't understand it.  
    I wouldn't want my previous post to seem too negative @bingefeller - we all have a certain amount of time and money to invest in our guitar education, there's lots of stuff out there, and choices have to be made. In my case, Tim Miller's site doesn't seem like a first choice, since I struggle to "get" his music and playing, at least much of the time. That's not to say I don't find him interesting as a player, and I certainly appreciate there is much substance to what he does. Also, I think the fact that his site does include traditional concepts does reflect the fact that his approach is not shallow, or without substance.

So I would be interested to know what it is about his music and playing that has drawn you in enough to be subscribing to the website? - I'm asking that in a positive way - I don't particularly like to think that I'm unable to appreciate or learn from what is obviously good music, so I'm open to persuasion - are there any good "ways in" to this kind of stuff? :)
  • Megii said:
    I wouldn't want my previous post to seem too negative @bingefeller - we all have a certain amount of time and money to invest in our guitar education, there's lots of stuff out there, and choices have to be made. In my case, Tim Miller's site doesn't seem like a first choice, since I struggle to "get" his music and playing, at least much of the time. That's not to say I don't find him interesting as a player, and I certainly appreciate there is much substance to what he does. Also, I think the fact that his site does include traditional concepts does reflect the fact that his approach is not shallow, or without substance.

So I would be interested to know what it is about his music and playing that has drawn you in enough to be subscribing to the website? - I'm asking that in a positive way - I don't particularly like to think that I'm unable to appreciate or learn from what is obviously good music, so I'm open to persuasion - are there any good "ways in" to this kind of stuff? :)
    BTW I'm not getting at you, not sure if my post came across like that. :)  All is good.

I subscribed because his playing sounds so modern.  He seemed to be the only modern jazz player who was doing lessons (if you know of any more then let me know).  

If you want to get in to more modern sounds then I would suggest listening to something like early Kurt Rosenwinkel, such as The Next Step and Enemies of Energy.  Heartcore is one of his great albums that is very modern sounding.  Mike Moreno and Jonathan Kreisberg would be worth checking out also.   

No worries - I certainly didn't feel I was being got at in any way - just that I thought I might appear a bit closed-minded, or some old fart "all this modern jazz is rubbish" type! Thanks for the listening recommendations also - I do really like some things that Rosenwinkel has done (struggled a bit with some also) and Kreisberg seems like a brilliant player to me. Haven't heard Mike Moreno, so really must have a listen to him. I guess to a large extent it is a case of listening more, and getting attuned to this modern kind of style. 
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 615
    @bingefeller were you not on it a while back and came off ?....i was on it for a while and found it very good ..some great lines and ideas ..hes a brilliant player and love his playing but im on Mike walkers site now that i find really good....
  • Barney said:
    @bingefeller were you not on it a while back and came off ?....i was on it for a while and found it very good ..some great lines and ideas ..hes a brilliant player and love his playing but im on Mike walkers site now that i find really good....
    yeah @Barney I was.  I joined up again for 3 months and I'll see how I go.    I like some of Tim's concepts because they are straightforward enough but get modern sounds.  

Someone else mentioned Mike Walker's site here before, may have been you.  
    bingefeller;822338" said:
    Barney said:

yeah @Barney I was.  I joined up again for 3 months and I'll see how I go.    I like some of Tim's concepts because they are straightforward enough but get modern sounds.  

i was sort of thinking about going back myself for a while but didn't want to get sidetracked from what im doing ..probably will at some point though
  • Barney said:
    bingefeller;822338" said:
    Barney said:

i was sort of thinking about going back myself for a while but didn't want to get sidetracked from what im doing ..probably will at some point though
    yeah I would recommend it again.  His lessons on triads have helped me a lot.
    bingefeller;822347" said:
    Barney said:

bingefeller;822338" said:Barney said:

yeah I would recommend it again.  His lessons on triads have helped me a lot.
    cool...i think he had lessons on triads when i was on ...to be honest iv started again with a lot of things ....stuff i thought i knew but didn't ..not well enough anyways ..i feel as though i have moved on more doing it that way cos most of the complicated things are just simple things put together in different combinations....

i thought i knew maj scales as well...and i did in all the postitions ..until i had to change key mid scale but keep the scale moving without resorting to the root thats where the whole visualisation come into it for me
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    Have started Tim's Truefire course. Now feel depressed like I knew nothing. On one hand it's great because he gives us the key to his style. It's all there, clear as water. On the other hand it's really hard to wrap my fingers around it, especially the seemingly arbitrary way he goes up the neck in hybrid picking. My guts tell me to sweep everything, or go pick-hammer, finger 3x instead of his bizarre pattern p-h, p, f-h, p, f-h, p. And then his speed, the fluidity, how nice the lines sound. I wish I had picked up another hobby.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've bought the Truefire Course as well, though I've not had time to have a good look at it. Certainly the concepts, that he discussed in the free samples, looked worth exploring.
  • carlos said:
    Have started Tim's Truefire course. Now feel depressed like I knew nothing. On one hand it's great because he gives us the key to his style. It's all there, clear as water. On the other hand it's really hard to wrap my fingers around it, especially the seemingly arbitrary way he goes up the neck in hybrid picking. My guts tell me to sweep everything, or go pick-hammer, finger 3x instead of his bizarre pattern p-h, p, f-h, p, f-h, p. And then his speed, the fluidity, how nice the lines sound. I wish I had picked up another hobby.
    he has a video on his site of him playing an etude over All The Things You Are - he plays it at about 300bpm, in 8th notes, and uses a lot of 2121 patterns, triad pairs and string skipping.  Absolutely incredible.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    I've bought the Truefire Course as well, though I've not had time to have a good look at it. Certainly the concepts, that he discussed in the free samples, looked worth exploring.
    Don't! You'll want to stop playing!
  • carlos said:
    I've bought the Truefire Course as well, though I've not had time to have a good look at it. Certainly the concepts, that he discussed in the free samples, looked worth exploring.
    Don't! You'll want to stop playing!

Hopefully I can take it on the chin!!!  I came to the conclusion quite a while back that I'm fascinated by the knowledge that others take the trouble to impart. I've a stack of music books, and I've now amassed quite a collection of TrueFire Courses. I've also collected up cookery books, and art books, in the past.
    i might try this...i was on his online course for a while and some of the things were just impossible. ..i sort of touched on his hybrid picking approach and was sort of working then i decided my alternate picking was terrible so worked on that......but yeah might try it.....as long as it dosnt put me off for life...!
  • I actually left his site a number of weeks ago.

I paid for the 3 month package.  One day in work I went to go to his site and I got a warning from saying there was a possibility the site had been hacked.  I later got an email from the IT department saying that I had tried to access a site that was being flagged up on their system. 

When I got home I visited his site again and it was down completely.  I panicked and cancelled my subscription and changed my PayPal password and the password of the email address that I used for his site. 

I thought that I would still have those 3 months membership but it seems when you cancel that's it - no more access to lessons! 

Most of the lessons were good but some of the stuff was quite basic, like the rhythm course which he is currently doing, and some parts of his pentatonic course.  I understand he has to try and appeal to students of all abilities and levels but this is my 2p. 

• Barney said:
    i might try this...i was on his online course for a while and some of the things were just impossible. ..i sort of touched on his hybrid picking approach and was sort of working then i decided my alternate picking was terrible so worked on that......but yeah might try it.....as long as it dosnt put me off for life...!
    Have a look at the free samples on the Truefire site and see what you think about it. It's only recently come out. I got it when it had a bit of discount off the price - i don't know whether this is still available.
    ArchtopDave;961172" said:
    Barney said:

Have a look at the free samples on the Truefire site and see what you think about it. It's only recently come out. I got it when it had a bit of discount off the price - i don't know whether this is still available.
    it looks really good ...i probably get this ...i need something new to work on :)
  • Barney said:
    ArchtopDave;961172" said:
    Barney said:

it looks really good ...i probably get this ...i need something new to work on :)
    If you were a member of his site, and watched the Texas Clinic, then it's pretty much the same lesson as that, only better presented and with tab.