Gibson Hummingbird 2016 Vintage

What's Hot
pmgpmg Frets: 298
Anyone seen or tried this model? Always fancied a hummingbird for writing and recording. How does this compare to a True Vintage model in playability, tone and looks (the pics seem to show a darker burst but I think it's the lighting).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    edited October 2015
    The *only* thing to do with a Gibson acoustic is to go and try one in person. No matter what the specs, they vary so much that it's the only way to both be sure you're getting a good one and make sure you haven't overlooked a slightly different one that you hadn't considered but just sounds amazing.

I have two, and both were like that - not the models I expected to get at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    I know that but I think it will be a long patient search. I'll find it difficult to try some back to back as most dealers will carry one at best
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Just to emphasise what others have said - you can't really choose a Gibson based on model/spec. They are very variable. One of the 'smallest' sounding acoustics I've ever played was a (massive) J200.

I have played some really good-sounding modern Gibsons - if you can find a dear with reasonable numbers in stock, it's definitely worth playing as many as you can.
    edited October 2015
    That's a huge if. Who would have a decent number of hummingbirds in stock in the uk? I don't wish to sound ungrateful either, thanks for the feedback
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    pmg;830959" said:
    That's a huge if. Who would have a decent number of hummingbirds in stock in the uk?

I don't wish to sound ungrateful either, thanks for the feedback
    Not sure who the big Gibson dealers are tbh. I suppose what I was really trying to get across is that you need to play as many as you can - even if that means travelling to several dealers. I agree that few will have more than one or two in stock at any one time.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113

Not sure about the vintage model but Andertons currently have 4 hummingbirds in stock, and with guitar village and guitarguitar pretty close by too I'd think you'd be able to try a few between all three stores.

Wouldn't be able to A/B them all though which wouldn't be ideal.

You don't actually need to A/B them directly - we're not talking about subtle differences that you need to play two guitars back to back several times to decide which is marginally the better… we're talking about guitars that are just average (at best) when you play them vs ones that just immediately leap out as being one of the best acoustics you've ever heard. Gibsons are *that* variable. If you get a good one in your hands and you can afford it, buy it. If you can't, put a deposit on it and get a bank loan :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• teradaterada Frets: 5113
    ICBM said:
    You don't actually need to A/B them directly - we're not talking about subtle differences that you need to play two guitars back to back several times to decide which is marginally the better… we're talking about guitars that are just average (at best) when you play them vs ones that just immediately leap out as being one of the best acoustics you've ever heard. Gibsons are *that* variable. If you get a good one in your hands and you can afford it, buy it. If you can't, put a deposit on it and get a bank loan :).

Good to know, thanks. I currently have a J45 Brown top on reserve at a silly low price. When I put down the deposit, I played a bunch of Gibsons (not just J45s) and some did indeed sound... well a bit shite is probably the best term!

What's troubling me is that while the brown top was head and shoulders over many others (the only other comparable to it was a True Vintage J45 at twice the price), it didn't "immediately leap out as being one of the best acoustics you've ever heard". It definitely needed a setup, and was very middy for example.

It had also been hanging around the store for a while, which made me a little sceptical too.

It may just be that I've been spoiled by my HD35 which is the best acoustic I've heard, but gives me a fair bit of hand strain. :(

Any thoughts/advice?

terada said:
    Good to know, thanks. I currently have a J45 Brown top on reserve at a silly low price. When I put down the deposit, I played a bunch of Gibsons (not just J45s) and some did indeed sound... well a bit shite is probably the best term!

What's troubling me is that while the brown top was head and shoulders over many others (the only other comparable to it was a True Vintage J45 at twice the price), it didn't "immediately leap out as being one of the best acoustics you've ever heard". It definitely needed a setup, and was very middy for example.

It had also been hanging around the store for a while, which made me a little sceptical too.

It may just be that I've been spoiled by my HD35 which is the best acoustic I've heard, but gives me a fair bit of hand strain. :(

Any thoughts/advice?

If it had been hanging around a while it may just need new strings and a set-up - mine seem to be very fussy with strings compared to a Martin for example, I don't know why! But if it sounded much better than the other it may be a good one. Worst case is it's only above average…

Very middy isn't *always* a bad thing - much though I hate it in amps ;) - one of mine is. So middy that I probably wouldn't want it as my only guitar, but it's a perfect companion to the other which is much more open and balanced (much like your Martin I expect), and actually a great and very interesting tone in its own right.

Cheers guys. Food for thought. Most Gibson acoustics I've played have been very good although I have encountered the occasional dog.