FX Line Mixer - GigRig WetBox Replacement Recommendations

As you may remember from my MusicRadar post, I've found the Gig Rig WetBox to be basically the saviour of delay to me, as I always had problems with wanting much much more dry signal than wet, this solved the problem for my rack setup, and is basically fantastic. I've put together a new smaller pedal board and want to use a delay pedal with it, but despite how good the WetBox is I'd like something a little bit smaller as I'm on tight space with the smaller pedal board, what are my options for a top notce "Wetbox" that can sit on / under my pedal train jnr pedal board not taking up too much space. Don't want anything fancy, just the ability to set the dry signal over wet signal output balance, and top notch quality, that's it, what can you recommend for me as a small / pedalboard friendlier wetbox ?

thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I remember at the time questioning why. It seems to me that this does nothing that the mix control on the delay itself doesn't do.
  • I also remember that conversation, and in essence you're right, however just for example, I use an Aquapuss, and get the delay sound I want just great out of it, but the "mix" control doesn't really do what it says it does, it doesn't mix the wet/dry balance, it basically sets how to the front the wet signal is - of the already altered signal, I fully appreciate this may sound picky and like snake oil, but it's not, to the point where I stopped using delays because once you put the signal through the delay units I use the signal is altered and then the mix is really just "delay volume" rather than a signal mix, when I put the wet box in place it was a different situation, it basically keeps your unaltered FX signal (think of it like a looper) and then allows you to blend a delay, as aggressive as you want into that unaltered signal, the sound is 100 times better and really obviously better once you tried it, it now allows me to use delay again. I'm sure others will use delay pedals without any problem, but due to how I like to play/sound, this works just superb for me, where as using units such as the aqua puss, el capistan, timeline, echobaby just don't blend how I want.
    Interesting. I grant you, I haven't actually tried it! But I'm hardly one to pick someone else up on their quirks - have enough of my own! :)

The only other thing I know of that does a similar thing to this is the X-Blender, but I don't think it will do what you want it to do, and it's way bigger. I wonder if you could re-house the innards of the wet box?
  • I did think about buying another wetbox, looking at re-housing it, or talk to the gigrig about a custom smaller/simpler version, that's part of the problem/reason I ask the question, the WetBox is superb, and has a lot of functionality - which I only use one part of "wet/dry mix" so buying an expensive quality unit to then not use all of it's functions a second time, and the hassle of re-housing it, seems a bit over the top, when I'd hope there would be a simple wet/dry signal blender of good quality in a small foot print box, rather than an expensive top notch job in a bigger box that I'll us %15 of it's capabilities
  • http://www.one-control.com/mosquite-blender-with-bjf-buffer.html

this seems to be pretty much perfect, more so as the delay is at the end of my chain and I can have a nice buffer before going into the delay, but a.) I don't know anyone using these b.) getting hold of one seems pretty tough
    Maybe get in touch with Bright Onion and see if it's something he could put together for you?
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    The problem solver pedal would work here. I'm referring to the Boss LS-2. If you put the delay in Loop A, keep Loop B empty and run it in A+B Mode, you can decide how much dry and wet signal you want.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    How about you move (and thereby remove) the problem (of size) . If you used a Remote Loopy 2 you'd be able to just have the switch box on your board and leave the delay and the wetbox at the amp. You'd only be able to use 1 loop with the wetbox though, if you wanted both loops you'd need two wetboxes which is overcomplicating somewhat.
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 376
    darcym said:
    http://www.one-control.com/mosquite-blender-with-bjf-buffer.html

this seems to be pretty much perfect, more so as the delay is at the end of my chain and I can have a nice buffer before going into the delay, but a.) I don't know anyone using these b.) getting hold of one seems pretty tough
    I'd try one of these. I was looking into them myself a few months ago. 

I was going to buy from Prymaxe - they have cheap international shipping & usually 15% off, although they don't appear to have the one with the buffer yet (it's new, as far as I'm aware). It could be worth sending them an email to check.

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7472
    edited November 2013
    Could a simple ABY work? Delay in one loop, with it's mix set, dry through on the other.  Then stomp the delay in with the 'both' setting.  No mix knob would really be needed as you'd split the signal for a dry through.  Unless you want more than 50% unaffected tone, of course...

Are there not delay pedals that don't affect your tone?  Granted, a lot of them on 'modulated' actually modulate the whole signal, but for general analogue types, I've never had this issue.  The Flashback has a dry through too, apparently.

Other than that, bright onion might be able to help.
  • after much research on the matter, it appears my initial thought was right

http://www.one-control.com/mosquite-blender-with-bjf-buffer.html

this is the product I need / want and the price appears to be great, however UK stock appears to be non-existent, only one uk distributor, who are great but they don't know when they will be getting this in,

USA - sweetwater has a great sale price on http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MosquiteBlend/ but their shipping to UK costs are very hight, and obviously the import fee will hurt, but not that bad on a $119 item.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to get this into the UK easy and cost effective.