Preserving a signature on a scratchplate...

What's Hot
Now then,

I have a signature on a scratchplate and I'm wondering what the Wisdom is in regard to preserving it so I can play the guitar again. I could buy a new scratchplate but I'd rather keep it all together...

The guitar in question is a 50th anniversary Mexican stratocaster. so the scratchplate is made from... standard scratchplate material? Can I lacquer over it and keep the sig intact?

Apologies for the lack of information! Any questions will be gratefully answered!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I did this for a mate - dependent on size and placement of the signature.  Get a sheet of clear self-adhesive vinyl.  Cut one piece slightly large than the signature and a second piece a bit larger still.  Stick the sticky side of the smaller piece to the centre of the sticky side of the larger piece.  Align the non-sticky patch over the signature and press it down on to the scratchplate.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    clear nail varnish?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Both great ideas! I was going to attempt the clear adhesive vinyl last night but I've encountered a scratchplate related issue... I can't get one of the screws out to remove the plate because the head of the screw is knackered. No screwdriver will turn it so I'm going to have to cut into it and use some sort of flat head

:-/ Pretty risky with my track record! Guitar might come out in worse condition than when I found it!
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    I've got an Esquire plate with Jeff Beck's sig on it in white paint pen.
    I scanned it and sent it to a mate along with another blank Esquire Scratchplate, he then digitised the signature & used a CNC package to route it out of the new scratchplate. He then filled the grooves with white paint..

I'll post pics tomorrow
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Yes, I use library book backing, it's fine.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • DartmoorHedgehogDartmoorHedgehog Frets: 891
    edited November 2013
    Both great ideas! I was going to attempt the clear adhesive vinyl last night but I've encountered a scratchplate related issue... I can't get one of the screws out to remove the plate because the head of the screw is knackered. No screwdriver will turn it so I'm going to have to cut into it and use some sort of flat head

:-/ Pretty risky with my track record! Guitar might come out in worse condition than when I found it!

Sometimes if the screw's not too tight you can get enough purchase by putting a thin piece of rubber (like a wide rubber band) over the screw head and leaning hard on the screw driver. Worth a try before you do anything more "potentially risky" :)
  • Both great ideas! I was going to attempt the clear adhesive vinyl last night but I've encountered a scratchplate related issue... I can't get one of the screws out to remove the plate because the head of the screw is knackered. No screwdriver will turn it so I'm going to have to cut into it and use some sort of flat head

Sometimes if the screw's not too tight you can get enough purchase by putting a thin piece of rubber (like a wide rubber band) over the screw head and leaning hard on the screw driver. Worth a try before you do anything more "potentially risky" :)
    Funnily enough I heard similar information yesterday and I'm going to give it a whirl - I don't hold out much hope but it's worth a try!

Cheers for reminding me as well - I'm about to leave work (which is where all the free elastic bands are!) and I just thought I'd give The Fretboard a check before I left!
  • DrBob said:
    I've got an Esquire plate with Jeff Beck's sig on it in white paint pen.
    I scanned it and sent it to a mate along with another blank Esquire Scratchplate, he then digitised the signature & used a CNC package to route it out of the new scratchplate. He then filled the grooves with white paint..

I'll post pics tomorrow
    Pics pics pics! Would be really interested to see it!
    Yep, I'll get some done this morning
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    Both great ideas! I was going to attempt the clear adhesive vinyl last night but I've encountered a scratchplate related issue... I can't get one of the screws out to remove the plate because the head of the screw is knackered. No screwdriver will turn it so I'm going to have to cut into it and use some sort of flat head

Funnily enough I heard similar information yesterday and I'm going to give it a whirl - I don't hold out much hope but it's worth a try!

Cheers for reminding me as well - I'm about to leave work (which is where all the free elastic bands are!) and I just thought I'd give The Fretboard a check before I left!

you can get screw removal tools quite cheaply, e.g.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/silverline-da70-screw-extractor-set-5pc/281-0725.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=281-0725&kpid=281-0725&gclid=CJ73t5Su5roCFbLJtAodSwsAoQ

• you can get screw removal tools quite cheaply, e.g.
    Struggling to see it at work because if dodgy internet (although I can see it's £5.40 which is indeed cheap!)

Will look into it more when I get back to my home internet - cheers!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Those screw extractors will be too big for a scratchplate screw.

• axisus said:
    Those screw extractors will be too big for a scratchplate screw.
    I was concerned about the size of the screw when I was googling how to get it out. I'm pissed off someone has gone to the trouble of knacking the head on it!
  • Drill the head off using a pillar drill if possible. Go slowly as if it gets too hot you'll melt the pickguard.

Lift off the 'guard and remove the screw with pliers.
  • For fear of losing some sort of testosterone points - my determined girlfriend managed to take the screw out of the scractchplate using some of her sewing tweezers. The rubber band didn't work unfortunately :(

More making and modding questions to come!
    So, anyway, only a fortnight late,

The original plate as signed by Jeff with a white paint pen:

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc343/lorddonricci/P1000285_zps041b5f52.jpg

And the copy with the signature etched out of the surface & flooded with white paint:

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc343/lorddonricci/P1000283_zpsdb39aa41.jpg

I think he's done an amazing job of it
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That looks wicked. Beck has a cool signature, which helps!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DrBob said:
    So, anyway, only a fortnight late,

The original plate as signed by Jeff with a white paint pen:

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc343/lorddonricci/P1000285_zps041b5f52.jpg

And the copy with the signature etched out of the surface & flooded with white paint:

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc343/lorddonricci/P1000283_zpsdb39aa41.jpg

I think he's done an amazing job of it
    That looks bloody amazing! I'm not gonna lie, I was skeptical but that's blown me away. Have a wow!
    Mate, that's ever so kind of you but It was really my mate Gary who did the clever bit? incidentally he's the same guy who spray painted the 'Gulf racing' Steinberger in the WezV thread over in Making & modding Talented guy
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Looks excellent!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.