Digital Piano

What's Hot
Well seeing as this new section has just opened and considering I was going to ask this question closer to chrimbo anyway.

I want to get Mrs_MD a digital piano to learn to play on. Apart from a full size keyboard I'm not sure what else she needs. Preferably with built in speakers and the ability to connect to some external ones.

Any brands/models which people would recommend?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    edited October 2015
    Yamaha P models are the safest choice, other brand like Roland or Kawai can be hit and miss. I prefer the stage models rather than the clavinovas due to portability and space saving.
  • HollowAxisHollowAxis Frets: 117
    edited October 2015
    I got a Casio PX-150 last year. Learning and noodling and recording small phrases for songs.
    Keys feel nice, tri sensor too.
    Works well with all the software pianos I have.
    The internal sounds are pretty good.
    Has speakers, has pedal input, has headphone jack for quite practice too.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9984
    edited October 2015 tFB Trader
    When I had my shop I used to be a Kawai keyboards agent and they were great quality ... but that was when Adam's dog was a fetus ... all things may have changed :-) ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
     Kawai 
     Kawai 
    I think Kawai have now been mentioned more in 2 hours in the "other instruments" section than in 2 years (other than by me) in the guitar section.

:(
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Thanks chaps I vaguely remember the Yamaha P models being mentioned in a different thread a while ago so I'll check those out.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    +1 for casio - punch above their weight in terms of vfm
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    My daughter has a Yamaha P-35 which is the entry model in the range (or was, it may have been replaced by the P-45 now - it's hard to keep track!) but is still a very decent piano. Basically, whatever the cheapest P series piano is at any given time. They all use the same keyboard mechanism I think, just vary in the quality of the sounds and the power/size of the built-in amp an speakers. And they all take headphones :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401

I wanna get one of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBI4qLGWxwI

I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
  • Another +1 for Kawai.

The temptation for a beginner piano is to get a small student one. But the slightly bigger ones have better, more inspiring sound. The models they do with a soundboard on the back are really convincing. Look better too as a piece of furniture (particularly polished ebony - although prone to finger prints).

It's worth you taking a trip to your nearest dealer and asking them to show you the difference.

Any should be ok for her to learn on as long as they have 88 keys and a weighted action (rather than the sprung keyboard type).

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    If you go for a Yamaha , I can heartily recommend One Man Band in Banbury, the lads certainly know their stuff and are also one of the Country's biggest Yamaha suppliers.
    They are always open for a deal, if this is against forum rules, sorry, but I like the idea of a bricks and mortar shop and I know that Adam will get great service and a fair deal
    We went down to PMT yesterday and tried some out. Pretty sure we're going for the Yamaha P45 and wooden stand.
  • A P45... sounds like it's not going to work.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    I had one of the Yamaha NP digital pianos, and it was great.  Very good value for a beginner.  :)
    Rox;861833" said:
    I had one of the Yamaha NP digital pianos, and it was great.  Very good value for a beginner.  :)
    We looked at those but I want to get her one which feels like an actual piano so p45 it is.
  • P85 in my house. Great little thing.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7472
    edited November 2015
    I had a roland hp-3 super cheap in polished ebony, took me ages and a lot of price drops to sell despite good sound quality and really good feel. 

Basically, don't get a massive arse upright type one. 
  • Listen to them - if you plan on using one without headphones, there's a LOT of variation in the quality of built-in sound. We went Roland HP55 I think and it sounds nice albeit a bit dated by today's standards.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    edited November 2015

Kawai make awesome pianos and their touch system and key weighting are excellent. My wife uses one as her main EP alongside her Tyros for work.

Casio are generally shit but they sent their latest EP to my Mrs for testing last year and she said it holds up quite well. They also sent two keyboards which were awful, so I know that Mrs Hobbio was giving them a genuine assessment cos she told them so.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread