Drummers anonymous.

What's Hot
octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
edited December 2015 in Other Instruments
Created at thread for fellow tub thumpers to discuss the thumping of tubs.

Hello, is there anybody in there?
Just tub-thump if you can hear me.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30893
    This'll keep you going through the show- the astonishing Thomas Lag

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    BADUM TISSSHHHH!

Drummist reporting for duty SIR!
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Yup drummer here. It's more of a passion for me than the guitar... but I'm better at the guitar. Drumming is way more therapeutic though.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Yup drummer here. It's more of a passion for me than the guitar... but I'm better at the guitar. Drumming is way more therapeutic though.
    Same here- I've decided it is my true calling as far as instrument goes- much better guitarist but I'm catching up.
    I'm on a mission to get good though- 2-3 hours a day at the moment.
    Fairly easy to get up and running, much more difficult to do well.
  • Agree totally with the above comments, I have gigs tonight through to saturday, I'm looking forward to friday the most because I get to play the drums.

The only downside is that cymbals end up becoming like pedals... "£200 isnt that much, its really good!" "Maybe one more cymbal would make my kit more versatile" "I could use a double bass pedal with subtlety and tact"
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited October 2015
    I'm lucky in a way that it's impossible for me to have a real kit so I picked up a 2nd hand yamaha dt express 4.. not ideal but at least curbs the extra spending.

Would love to get good enough to gig though.

@octatonic 100% correct basics are easy the rest though is a coordination nightmare.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I'm not too bad. I can get the ideas down that I want to capture. If I had time to dedicate towards it as a craft, I'd get better.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    In Dublin this guy is one of the few who merits acceptance in your grouping @octatonic

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7hjioyuheuliu5g/2014-12-13 14.42.26.jpg?dl=0

He sounded good.  I would have liked him to join up with a few friends and myself and see what noises we could generate...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    edited October 2015
    I started out on drums - that was what I did in all my bands before my current one. Never could do anything properly technical but I love a good groove and am pretty au fait with throwing in different time sigs.

When I started my current band in 2008 I sold my drum kit, and though I've sold so much stuff since then that drum kit is the one thing I wish I could have back. It was a Mapex Mbirch in cherry red. Hardly top of the line but the hardware was good, the bearing edges were clean and it tuned up really nicely. When I bought it it came with 10",12",16" and 18" inch toms, I later got a 14" rack tom as well so I could pick and choose. Upgraded the snare to a Mapex Black Panther hammered Brass 14"x6.5", the crack on that thing was something to behold.

Cymbals were mostly Sabian AAXs but I'd started to upgrade those by the time I sold the kit - the crash was a Paiste Signature 17" Power Crash, and I'd upped the ride from a 20" to a 21" - which made a big difference as I like to lay into the ride without it disintegrating into a wash.

Also had the remains of my first electronic kit, a Yamaha DT Express, and I used a couple of pads and the brain from that to trigger midi samples.

These days I play drums a few times a year on my drummer's kit, usually when I'm recording full band demos of songs. The pain is, he's left handed and has quite a lot of hardware so I can't just jump on the throne and play, I've got to set it all up for me then put it back.

Fucking bastard. I should kill him and keep his drums.

Here's the only picture of my kit I can find...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I'm a terrible drummer. I have one of those Roland electronic kits and I use it to record sometimes. I'd love to learn to play better but I don't really have the time or the money.
    axisus said:
    I'm a terrible drummer. I have one of those Roland electronic kits and I use it to record sometimes. I'd love to learn to play better but I don't really have the time or the money.
    So much of it is done on a practice pad these day.
    There are 3 books to get that will transform your playing if you work through them methodically- 'Stick Control', 'Master Studies' (Morello) and '4 way co-ordination'.

I can't help you with time, though. :)
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6795
    I've been taking drum lessons over the last 5 months (having never drummed before), which has really helped me get the basics. Have evolved a Roland SPD-30 based setup, that fits in the space available and allows quick/quiet practicing when I get 10 mins free. Currently split my time about 50/50 between drums and guitar, but find quick drum sessions are easier to fit in everyday. 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    octatonic said:
    axisus said:
    So much of it is done on a practice pad these day.
    There are 3 books to get that will transform your playing if you work through them methodically- 'Stick Control', 'Master Studies' (Morello) and '4 way co-ordination'.

I can't help you with time, though. :)
    I've got the money, but so far not the time

I bought a Roland Mesh kit 2 years ago (expanded TD-10)
    But I still haven't learned anything much

I am considering getting lessons
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I can play bongos and other percussion but I just can't play a full drum kit. My timing is reasonably good, it's the whole coordinating my feet with my hands thing I can't do.
    It's impossible!
    How can anyone do it?
    Sassafras said:
    I can play bongos and other percussion but I just can't play a full drum kit. My timing is reasonably good, it's the whole coordinating my feet with my hands thing I can't do.
    It's impossible!
    How can anyone do it?

Get this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/4-Way-Coordination-Development-Complete-Independence/dp/0769233708

In a nutshell though you practice things in small chunks and build them up over time.
    Say for example, you are working on the Porcaro halftime shuffle.
    You can't jump in playing the whole thing at once (well, some people might but I couldn't.

First you practice counting in 12/8.
    Then you put the basic hi-hat pattern (1st and 3rd note in each triplet). Practice that a lot.
    Then you add the ghost notes on the snare (2nd note of each triplet ). Practice that a lot.
    Then you add the are on the downbeat of 3. Practice that a lot.
    Then you add in the kick drum, which has about 6 different variations. Practice that a lot.
    Then you work on making it swing a bit. Practice that a lot.

octatonic said:
    Sassafras said:
    It's impossible!
    How can anyone do it?

Get this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/4-Way-Coordination-Development-Complete-Independence/dp/0769233708

In a nutshell though you practice things in small chunks and build them up over time.
    Say for example, you are working on the Porcaro halftime shuffle.
    You can't jump in playing the whole thing at once (well, some people might but I couldn't.

First you practice counting in 12/8.
    Then you put the basic hi-hat pattern (1st and 3rd note in each triplet). Practice that a lot.
    Then you add the ghost notes on the snare (2nd note of each triplet ). Practice that a lot.
    Then you add the are on the downbeat of 3. Practice that a lot.
    Then you add in the kick drum, which has about 6 different variations. Practice that a lot.
    Then you work on making it swing a bit. Practice that a lot.

Thanks, I'll get the book.
    What you're mainly saying though is practice a lot.
    Why are things never easy?
    I think that's the first time I've seen something on Amazon that has all 5 star reviews.
    Yes, it is an excellent book.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7781
    edited October 2015
    I used to be a drummer, then changed to bass because it was easier to pack up at the end of the gig ;)

I reckon that of all the instruments I've had a go at bass is the one I have come closest to mastering, but I was a tidy drummer who could keep time, which isn't true of all those who try :)

here's a rare vid. of me playing, it was a dep gig for a mate's band with two rehearsals and a shared kit, but it doesn't sound too bad for all that.

and an even briefer moment, playing whilst mightily drunk, in an American Footbal helmet, on a song that we played with no rehearsal whatsoever, possibly my finest hour.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister