Lol

vizviz Frets: 10682
Only got 10 and that included some lucky guesses :( - kept being caught out by the transposed wind instruments.

http://www.classicfm.com/discover/music-quizzes/ultimate-music-theory/
Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Well, bloody 9 if you must know...   :x  And I've got my grade 8 music theory too! I only took that 34 years ago, so can't possibly have forgotten anything...  I think question 14 is wrong though - that's not a diminished scale in jazz, as I understand it. I too was caught out by much of the transposing stuff, and a few occasions where I reached the "can't be arsed" point, and just clicked at random. :D
  • MatthewShredderyMatthewShreddery Frets: 861
    edited October 2015
    SPOILER ALERT!

How is question 1 an Augmented 11th?
    It's surely an Aug 4th???

EDIT:
    meant to say Perfect 11th, not Aug - still, my point stands
    @MatthewShreddery - it's a perfect 11th because there is a natural sign in front of the upper F earlier in the bar, and that stands until the end of the bar, at least according to normal convention. :)
  • LMAO - what a bell end I am!
    I went straight to the indicated interval and sacked off the rest of the bar.
    Cheers
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    Yup, natural sign makes it an 11th. That was a hard test and I'm usually pretty decent at this stuff.
    LMAO - what a bell end I am!
    I went straight to the indicated interval and sacked off the rest of the bar.
    Cheers
    No worries, the test setter was using all the devious tricks in the book I think.
  • I always fall for sneaky shit like that. FML.
  • vizviz Frets: 10682
    Megii said:
    Well, bloody 9 if you must know...   :x  And I've got my grade 8 music theory too! I only took that 34 years ago, so can't possibly have forgotten anything...  I think question 14 is wrong though - that's not a diminished scale in jazz, as I understand it. I too was caught out by much of the transposing stuff, and a few occasions where I reached the "can't be arsed" point, and just clicked at random. :D

yep it's the half-whole (or whole half - can't remember which it was now) diminished scale.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    Megii said:

yep it's the half-whole (or whole half - can't remember which it was now) diminished scale.
    I think that's what they meant to show, but they forgot to make the next to last note a C sharp. The C natural means there are 2 consecutive semitones. Not that it matters really, I'm not bitter... :D
  • vizviz Frets: 10682
    Oh yes! Well spotted!