Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

First (now second time)time playing live!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Nikko said:

at this point, ive told the missus that she isnt allowed to come and watch, but ill see how I feel closer to the time.

I prefer mine not to come to gigs, not because I'm embarrassed or anything... just because when she's there, I feel an obligation to keep her company and try to make the boring wait more interesting somehow. Much easier if she just stays at home and lets me get off with the drunken groupies.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Know the song inside out, practice it standing up, enjoy yourself, mistakes don't kill anybody and most people won't notice, those that do won't care, enjoy it-it will be over quickly and you'll want to do it again, don't stare at the floor, look like you're having fun-it is hard to be in an audience when the guys up there look nervous/awkward, take a spare guitar, tune up silently before getting onstage-check tuning quickly when up there. Above all enjoy it and good luck. Report back with audio/video if possible (videoing it is actually a good idea so you can watch what you did right/wrong for next time-there will be a next time, you'll be hooked).

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    On the subject of immodium, take bogroll-I've taken a dump in some of the worst venues in the uk as I always need one and some of them resemble the toilet in trainspotting!

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've done a few gigs on and off for years and I always find that 'It'll be alright on the night' rings true.  I'm crap at practising but I always find that the adrenaline kicks in when you do it for real.  They're probably being polite in my case but the sight of a room full of people dancing or singing along with you somehow makes it all much easier.  They also attenuate the sound so it's much easier to get your amp working like it should.  On the subject of recording your band, my ex bass player recently presented me with a recording of us playing a gig in about 1980.  The bizarre thing was that I'd swear I'd never heard some of those songs before - let alone played them!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    :D
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    Well, one song has now become 2 songs!!! I think im going to be ok with it playing-wise now. To be honest the songs are pretty easy to play, even for a beginner like me (I think they were chosen for that reason). I can now play them whilst walking around my living room, which is probably more space than ill have on the stage :D
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Best pieces of advice I could ever give for live performance are:

1 - tune your instrument! Its amazing how many people forget! Tune before and after you play. Check the tuning whenever you get a moment, even if it's mid song.

2 - Use a tuner pedal or the guitar volume to turn your signal off when you are not using it - stops any unwanted noise or feedback

3 - Look at the audience and other band members, not your feet or fretboard :) When you see the smiles it will fill you with all the confidence you need.

And most of all? Enjoy it and have fun!
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.

So last night we had our final rehearsal ahead of tomorrows gig. Up until last night, I had only ever played my guitar through practise amps and on the whole thought it sounded alright.

Last night though, I got to play through an old Marshall JCM2000 half stack, and.......Fuck me! I need a proper amp! Such a difference, and made me really excited about tomorrow night.

When I got home, I told the Wife that next year, I will be purchasing a 'proper' amp. She didn't seem to share my enthusiasm, but she'll come round...right??

• If she doesn't come round, at least after tomorrow you will have plenty of hot women to choose from.*

Smash it!

*(may not be true)
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    With my Wife giving them all dirty looks when shes in the audience :D
  • Nikko said:

Last night though, I got to play through an old Marshall JCM2000 half stack, and.......Fuck me! I need a proper amp! Such a difference, and made me really excited about tomorrow night.

there's nothing like playing at the correct volume. i used to live in the country and practised at gigging volume all the time. it was fucking class. makes you feel like a rockstar from the get-go
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Well, I survived...and fucking loved it!!

3 songs in the end (none of them remotely technical in any way), but really enjoyed the experience. All seemed to fly by VERY quickly. Made a couple of mistakes on the third song, but not sure anyone noticed apart from me and my tutor.

Cant wait to do it again.

Thanks all for your advice and words of support. Was greatly appreciated.

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Nikko said:

Well, I survived...and fucking loved it!!

3 songs in the end (none of them remotely technical in any way), but really enjoyed the experience. All seemed to fly by VERY quickly. Made a couple of mistakes on the third song, but not sure anyone noticed apart from me and my tutor.

Cant wait to do it again.

Thanks all for your advice and words of support. Was greatly appreciated.

well done mate.

I had my first gig about 2 weeks ago and was sweating bullets...but like you i loved it and cant wait for the next one!
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    ^^ and me - great to do.

Well done.
  • ^^ me too - well, actually not my first gig ever, but my first gig in many, many years.  Great fun.

Well done @Nikko, and let us know how you get on next time around.

Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans

Well, here we go again. Weve got another student gig this Saturday night and the little group im in will be doing 4 songs. Again not remotely technical as im literally just playing rhythm, but it should be a good night.

Our 'Set List' (lol) is as follows...

Wasp - Wildchild

Buckcherry - All night long

Corrosion of Conformity - Albatross

Pantera - Walk

...so quite the mixture there.

:D

The Wife is coming this time, and I made the mistake (cos I was being all cocky) of inviting a load of people from work to come along too. Not sure if any will turn up, but its adding to my fear

:P