The singing thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I'm pretty sure this is mostly shit... a few good bits here and there perhaps, but mostly off pitch and my resonance is all over the place. First draft anyway...

Original:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    You need to get the chip off your shoulder and just work at it. Sing an hour or more every day. It will get better and stop getting frustrated at what you can't do. Worry more about what you can
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited January 2016
    This is the shit I have to deal with when rehearsing

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited January 2016

@Drew_fx. Thanks man, I appreciate it.  It can get a little better than that louder, but E4 is the extreme, guess I need to practice more.  Thanks, that was actually really impressive.  As for the Frusciante stuff.  I think the sweet spot to me was 'Seems pointless from ABOVE'  I guess you won't ever learn any Warren Zevon songs?  I reckon you could nail every one, he;s a little too high for me on some stuff to make it sound rich enough.  I'm being negative again. Damnit.

@Cabicular. ; Totally, like I said it is practice and time in.  It's like learning the guitar again though, it's really frustrating.  Also when I sing low people say I am just mumbling.  But yeah, I'II try and work on some good stuff rather than just be a negative and cynical bastard all the time.

@hugbot, the link no work.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    LOL. Not listened to the clip yet, but is that Mike Tyson with coke around his nose?
    Yep!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    LOL. Fucking cats. @Hugbot I dig your voice man. Seems so natural and effortless in places, versus my angry nasty out of key beltings!

Did another 'Other Side' just now:

edited January 2016
    We should have a little competition and set songs for peeps
    Drew_fx said:
    LOL. Fucking cats. @Hugbot I dig your voice man. Seems so natural and effortless in places, versus my angry nasty out of key beltings!

OK, just one last negative comment and yeah I am probably utterly and completely wrong no doubt, but I think personally it's because he just has a naturally higher vocal pitch than you do, so it sounds richer and fuller and ironically deeper when it's higher.  Like I said you sound to me to come into your own on that 'ABOVE' note.  Despite being totally impressed with your video you did, which was actually very impressive and opened my eyes a bit, I still reckon you are a baritone man.  I totally commend you trying to develop your voice with training and stuff, completely.  Yet I haven't heard anything that is in that natural Baritone range.

You can still make it as a pop singer as a natural Baritone yer know.  Warren Zevon was.

It's just, honestly to me, it all fits into place, your voice goes a bit thin when you try and sing mid-upper tenor range, mine does when it goes lower tenor range and I would bet that the blokes with natural higher vocal pitches do as well as they go into upper tenor/ Counter Tenor or Contralto ranges just the same.  It's not like we can't all sing these notes and stuff, it's just outside of our natural ranges we can only sing pure tones and have less flexibility for adapting the tone.

I do have a chip on my shoulder and it's massive, my voice is shit, that is a given.  But it's like, well it seems to me that elastic bands of various lengths will naturally resonate at different frequencies.

http://www.azchords.com/z/zevonwarren-tabs-5707/lawyersgunsandmoney-tabs-167167.html

Honestly, that is where I see you being naturally at.  It's just a little too high for me personally.

Think about it, it's like the size of your dick, you got to use what you were born with.

Actually high testosterone levels in foetus development and pubity are actually linked to small penises, so I have nothing to be ashamed about.

No, I just made that up, it's completely unrelated actually.

I'm totally sure I'm a baritone, speaking oft he song even flow specifically I sung that at karaoke this New Years but I remember not being able to hit it all a few years ago. It's a loud beltey song and you're doing it really breathy and unsupported. I'm reasonably sure Eddie vender is a baritone. He occasionally goes higher but he's overdriving his voice as he does it and that song is well within baritone range anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sambostar;929624" said:
    We should have a little competition and set songs for peeps

Drew_fx said:

OK, just one last negative comment and yeah I am probably utterly and completely wrong no doubt, but I think personally it's because he just has a naturally higher vocal pitch than you do, so it sounds richer and fuller and ironically deeper when it's higher.  Like I said you sound to me to come into your own on that 'ABOVE' note.  Despite being totally impressed with your video you did, which was actually very impressive and opened my eyes a bit, I still reckon you are a baritone man.  I totally commend you trying to develop your voice with training and stuff, completely.  Yet I haven't heard anything that is in that natural Baritone range. You can still make it as a pop singer as a natural Baritone yer know.  Warren Zevon was.It's just, honestly to me, it all fits into place, your voice goes a bit thin when you try and sing mid-upper tenor range, mine does when it goes lower tenor range and I would bet that the blokes with natural higher vocal pitches do as well as they go into upper tenor/ Counter Tenor or Contralto ranges just the same.  It's not like we can't all sing these notes and stuff, it's just outside of our natural ranges we can only sing pure tones and have less flexibility for adapting the tone.I do have a chip on my shoulder and it's massive, my voice is shit, that is a given.  But it's like, well it seems to me that elastic bands of various lengths will naturally resonate at different frequencies.http://www.azchords.com/z/zevonwarren-tabs-5707/lawyersgunsandmoney-tabs-167167.htmlHonestly, that is where I see you being naturally at.  It's just a little too high for me personally.Think about it, it's like the size of your dick, you got to use what you were born with.Actually high testosterone levels in foetus development and pubity are actually linked to small penises, so I have nothing to be ashamed about.No, I just made that up, it's completely unrelated actually.
    I'd be fine with that if every single voice teacher I've ever come across said the same thing >:D<

But the truth is, they don't, *everyone's* voice thins out as it gets higher, and this is a desirable thing. It's because of the laryngeal tilt I talked about - your vocal cords are attached to cartilage within the larynx, and when that moves the cords get stretched... and as a consequence, they thin out!

Thin folds is something I'm working on at the moment, which will reduce the huge powerful notes and will bring down the intensity, but will still leave a lot of colour and vibrancy in the tone.

Sam seriously, get a few lessons. You'll find out that all your misconceptions about vocal types are just that - misconceptions.
    edited January 2016

Since my transitions are shite, I have been practicing doing octaves E2-E3, F2-F3 etc and also E2 B2 E3  -  F2 C3 F3 etc.  I got up to Aflat4 without going falsetto.

Then I found I could make engine noises which was more fun, I think it's something I could work on instead of singing.   I think I heard somewhere on a video that this is some sort of exercise to help do something. I forget what it is now though.

https://soundcloud.com/user360616451/total

edited January 2016

I wonder if you can learn to thicken the tone of your voice?

edited January 2016

Had a go at home sweet home following the lyrics off the internet, and experimenting with that nasal resonance thing.  Wish I could sing an octave higher without cracking up but oh well.  This must be about a C3 and isn't too low.  Absolutely cannot do a C4 though without my voice breaking, but it's not unacceptably low is it?  I still think I am a shyte baritone and not a bass although nearing a B2, which is smack in the middle of my range and hearing your thing again Drew, alas I think I am.  I think I want to learn opera stuff now.  It's actually really annoying because it doesn't sound that low to me at all, although analysing it, it is actually.

https://soundcloud.com/user360616451/home

Just came back from a lesson. Hit a Gsharp4 a few times, but need to work more and more on my support.
  • I did a bit of practice last night after not having lessons for a month or 2....I've regressed :(

Looks like you really need to keep up with practice to stay on top of it.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    You really do.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24199
    This thread is great.

I fronted a band for a few years and loved it, and I'd like to do it again. This is giving me ideas.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Sambostar said:

Had a go at home sweet home following the lyrics off the internet, and experimenting with that nasal resonance thing.  Wish I could sing an octave higher without cracking up but oh well.  This must be about a C3 and isn't too low.  Absolutely cannot do a C4 though without my voice breaking, but it's not unacceptably low is it?  I still think I am a shyte baritone and not a bass although nearing a B2, which is smack in the middle of my range and hearing your thing again Drew, alas I think I am.  I think I want to learn opera stuff now.  It's actually really annoying because it doesn't sound that low to me at all, although analysing it, it is actually.

https://soundcloud.com/user360616451/home

Try that an Octave up
    and post the results
    It will be horrible for you but it will show me where you're control issues are 
    edited January 2016
    Cabicular said:
    Try that an Octave up
    and post the results
    It will be horrible for you but it will show me where you're control issues are 

Yeah, horrible for yous lol.  Made a mistake of trying to sing high first and now I can't sing anything.  But here is grandpa simpson head voice in C4 which keeps slipping into falsetto, Falsetto in C4 and then in C2 struggling with the low A1 on road.  Maybe with training I could reach a C4, but I seriously doubt it.  Low isn't much cop either, mainly as my throat hurts after trying to sing high.  Don't laugh too hard, it's all outside of my comfort zone.

https://soundcloud.com/user360616451/shyte