Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

MJW Amps Update --- Feline Guitars Orders #200 (and #199, #201)!

What's Hot
martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
edited January 2016 in Made in the UK tFB Trader

I'm pleased to say that Jonathan at Feline has ordered not one, but three MJW Goldstar amps for purposes of demonstrating his beautiful guitars on video (besides his own listening pleasure of course!)

This comes shortly after Adrian at ThorpyFX similarly ordered an MJW Orion, so I have to say I'm grateful for both of them for their support. It great to be part of a thriving community of British builders of great quality music gear.

The deal with Feline was made particularly easy as I had been smitten by the Lion Cub DC that Jon made recently, so it seemed logical to come to a reciprocal arrangement (honestly Mrs W!), and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a guitar very similar to Adrian's as soon as possible :)

Jon's ordered:

• A Fender Blackface based Goldstar with a 6L6 in blonde tolex
  • A dual 10W + 10W power amp with 2 x EL34s
  • A High Gain Goldstar with an XTC style preamp and digital reverb in purple tolex

All 3 amps will have the facility to fit either EL34 or 6L6 at the flick of a switch.

It's especially pleasing to announce that the third amp will be MJW #200  :)

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1382
    Can we have build pics please?
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6130
    tFB Trader
    rsvmark said:
    Can we have build pics please?

I concur! Although I know you are busy!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Don't see why not :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    A Feline Lion through an MJW High Gain Goldstar would be the ultimate fretboard rig for me.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader
    Yes - an idea unfolded for a home studio demo rig (in spite of me having no shortage of sonic options with all the rack gear) and maybe use it for doing some demo clips of our guitars.
    I wanted to have a few sonic options that would be entirely familiar to most listeners, and was thinking of covering the Fender/Vox/Marshall classic trio with maybe a high gain option too.

#198 - The blonde Blackface Fender option is one I needed (haing enjoyed having a Cornell Romany in the past) I wanted to expand to somethig that could emulate anything from a Twin or vibrolux to a Bassman.

#199 The dual poweramp is an extension of the two single ended power amps Martin has already made me that I use in the workshop.

Here they are...the first dates back to when Martin was using the name Martamp and the latter was after the transition to MJW.

The first had all it's conrols and sockets on the front bacause it was tucked in tightly against a rack with no space to use the back panel. The second has two channels to allow me to mix main signal and FX signals 

I'm convinced that the bigger bottle tubes like KT66/5881/EL34/6L6 etc sound a bit different to smaller ones like 6V6 and EL84 and I wanted lowish power power amps for use in a domestic setting that I could actually turn the volume knob above #1 and get the amp actually working in an area where it actually sounds good rather than having a 50w or 100w amp that sounds choked because you have to keep the volume so low that it barely gets enough voltage flowing through to operate.

So we'll just have a sereo version of the Mk1 that will be great for powering all my rack systems or for the Kemper Profiling amp.

#200 I think what I wanted is a Marshall-ish amp with a footswitchable extra gain stage. I wanted it to go from Pexi to JCM 800 and beyond. I was kind of tempted to put a Soldano SLO circuit in , but we decided that the Boger Exstacy red channel was probably closer to what I wanted. We may still refine this idea.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cooler than a lot of very cool things ...
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404

That one with all the sockets on the front is exactly what I would want for gigging, nice size too
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    DavidRees said:
    cooler than a lot of very cool things ...
    ...that have been on an arctic survival course dressed in nothing but leopard print G-strings and matching Crocs.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Your power with the eyes caused me to ask for my bantam that I picked up last week to have them ;)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    How is the attenuation / master volume on these amps for home use Looking for something low medium gain Marshall flavour. Please PM me some details or post here many thanks
  • juansolo;850707" said:
    Your power with the eyes caused me to ask for my bantam that I picked up last week to have them ;)
    Amazing!
    tFB Trader
    juansolo said:

That's very tasty - Martin has refined the vents slightly  - looks fab!
    I remember drawing it on my iPad in a program called "paper by 53"  after seeing his badge and wanting to get better ventilation.

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

Tried to convince him to make it his 'thing', to make his amps instantly recognisable. He knows he wants to really ;)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10366
    tFB Trader
    Dear Santa ....
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2015 tFB Trader
    juansolo said:
    Tried to convince him to make it his 'thing', to make his amps instantly recognisable. He knows he wants to really ;)
    I like the look (but then I would say that :)  )

I think it's a distinctive look and I like the through cooling that it should provide.
    It was really tying in with the diamond shaped logo  that I had in mind

I suggested that rounding those edges in might make the tolex covering a bit easier

I was going to suggest a modular system with interchangeable fronts for different looks...but maybe that can wait

• That is fucking brilliant, they look like a little robot head, where the control panel is the mouth!
    Would that design look good on a larger head? Say something like a roadstar twin? ;)
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
    tFB Trader
    juansolo;851455" said:
    We could fall out you know!
    :P :x ;)

I should also add, referring to what I said about a community of UK builders, that when John called to collect his amp I placed an order for another multi pedal with him. Very excited about this. :)
    :D

Gonna install PS on my laptop so I can work on that while I'm away. I did a base layout but was not happy with it. Back to the drawing board.
    tFB Trader
    Cool! Have a good 'un :)
  • John is the king of multis, I know for fact that my first won't be my last.

Amp looks amazing with the vents!