Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Providence Delay 80's vs Modded DD2 vs Others

What's Hot
GOBBLEGOBBLE Frets: 7
edited September 2017 in FX
Ok ok - so I know the TES thing has been covered here numerous times, but as it's my first post I thought I'd dive straight in anyway as this is a current consideration for me.

I've just got myself a secondhand Providence delay 80's - sounds fantastic, but JUST falls short of my friends Cornish TES. The TES has fatter repeats, more headroom, and you can get those darker delays much louder than you can with the Delay 80's. However - the delay 80's remains a superb sounding unit, is very pedalboard friendly, can run from 9V and is a quarter of the price of the TES.

I wonder how a Keeley or Analogman Modded DD2 compares to a Cornish, or indeed a Delay 80's? And also, The TRex replica (purely as I saw one on a photo of Gilmours pedalboard once).

Ok - let's hear it. Looking forward to reading your replies Ladies and Gents!

Thanks everyone.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The thing is... the TES is so expensive is that tiny perceived improvement really worth it.

What you should do is get your mate to record a few delays setup to be as close as possible and then see if YOU can pick the TES. If you can't then maybe it's not worth you having one... and you should get the one you think it is as that matches the TES sound in your head. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Providence 80's although the Flight Time beats them all.
  • Is the TES £2000 better ? @gassage ?
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Good comments so far. The Flight Time looks seriously great - but I am definitely NOT one for fiddling around with menus / switches / screens of any kind! I play in a couple of bands, and I need to find sounds quickly in rehearsal rooms etc, and aside from that I don't really have the patience.

Any other thoughts? Is the Flight Time really better than the Delay 80's?
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    I've got a cheap analogman dd3 if you want to buy it off me :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • GOBBLE said:
    Good comments so far. The Flight Time looks seriously great - but I am definitely NOT one for fiddling around with menus / switches / screens of any kind! I play in a couple of bands, and I need to find sounds quickly in rehearsal rooms etc, and aside from that I don't really have the patience.

Any other thoughts? Is the Flight Time really better than the Delay 80's?
    You say you play in two different bands which would make the Flight Time even better than the TES in that regard because you can save presets so you could use presets 1-10 for band 1 and presets 11-20 with band 2. No more remembering where to point those dials and changing between songs. It is incredibly easy to use and sounds superb. 

• BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    Dave is now using 2 chronos and 2 flight times in his rack. I think 2k on a TES is stupid money personally but each to their own.
  • GOBBLE said:
    Good comments so far. The Flight Time looks seriously great - but I am definitely NOT one for fiddling around with menus / switches / screens of any kind! I play in a couple of bands, and I need to find sounds quickly in rehearsal rooms etc, and aside from that I don't really have the patience.
    The flight time has presets where as the TES will require you to tweak everything every time you want to change it. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I loved the Flight Time.. but I tell ya, that Boss DD500 took mine off my board...

And I'm def not a Boss fan !
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah - presets can be useful for sure, but I like to find new sounds quickly, and on the fly. I had a Timeline and hated the fact that I just ended up using presets all the time because it was too much hassle finding new sounds through all the multi function controls and a screen. I don't want any screens thanks!!

No love here for the Trex Replica / Reptile?
  • GOBBLE said:
    Yeah - presets can be useful for sure, but I like to find new sounds quickly, and on the fly. I had a Timeline and hated the fact that I just ended up using presets all the time because it was too much hassle finding new sounds through all the multi function controls and a screen. I don't want any screens thanks!!

Using a Flight Time is nothing like using a Timeline. 

Given your dislike of screens and love of twisting knobs, I recommend wasting £2k on a TES instead. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GOBBLE said:
    Yeah - presets can be useful for sure, but I like to find new sounds quickly, and on the fly. I had a Timeline and hated the fact that I just ended up using presets all the time because it was too much hassle finding new sounds through all the multi function controls and a screen. I don't want any screens thanks!!

Using a Flight Time is nothing like using a Timeline. 

Given your dislike of screens and love of twisting knobs, I recommend wasting £2k on a TES instead. 

Interesting. So you'd put a Flight Time up against the TES with regards to fatness of the repeats etc? Thanks!
  • dunstanmusdunstanmus Frets: 91
    edited November 2015
     I have had both and yes. Sold the FT recently since getting the FX8. I wouldn't dream of charging £2k for the TES.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22111
    edited November 2015
    No. I'm not comparing the fatness of the repeats at all. You know what the TES sounds like, you clearly want that sound, and you want the simplicity of chickenhead knobs as your interface of choice. That points to one box of fun which means splashing out £2k in cash. 

I say 'wasting £2k on a TES' because most people I've seen buy one on the various forums I've wandered through over the last eight years eventually sells it and ends up with something that's pretty much the same but without the four figure price tag. 

For that sort of money, you could buy yourself a variety of delays and still have plenty of cash for chips and a weekend break in Aberdeen. 

I'm not a tone chasing individual, I like shitty sounding things and go weepy eyed over old rack units, but I can safely say that the Flight Time is a bloody fantastic delay. The repeats might not get as fat as the TES but the headroom is huge and the sound is mighty. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • theres even an early Moog MF104 on Reverb.com for under £500... or there was at the back end of last week
  • I always find it even funnier that you have to send in a DD2 to get your TES made. 
    So basically a rehoused boss pedal with some extra mojo for £1800... ouch!

I will concede that it does sound nice on the demos but I cant look past that price and how it looks
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd love it to be a hollow, empty metal box with a DD2 poked through a small hole in the top corner.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Now now everything, let's not start brand bashing! The TES is the top of the tree sound wise as far as I'm concerned - I'm looking to hear from people who have found similar sounding alternatives. So far, it looks like the list is:

In direct comparison to the Cornish TES:

Providence Delays 80's - I can vouch for this as sounding very similar with big FAT repeats!
    Analogman / Keeley modded Boss DD2 - Interested in opinions of these.
    Free The Tone Flight Time - Seems like there is a lot of love for this one here...

Also, it works out more like £1050 (plus your DD2) and a year or so wait direct from Pete Cornish himself.
  • You can't get onto the TES waiting list, in my experience...

And, once again, I'll add the Boss DD500
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom