Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Providence Delay 80's vs Modded DD2 vs Others

What's Hot

Comments

• Can i be blunt. Unless you have a killer rig and pa system or do a lot or high quality recording, you might as well buy any old digital delay. People cant tell the difference at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7750

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GOBBLE said:
    Now now everything, let's not start brand bashing! The TES is the top of the tree sound wise as far as I'm concerned - I'm looking to hear from people who have found similar sounding alternatives. So far, it looks like the list is:

In direct comparison to the Cornish TES:

Providence Delays 80's - I can vouch for this as sounding very similar with big FAT repeats!
    Analogman / Keeley modded Boss DD2 - Interested in opinions of these.
    Free The Tone Flight Time - Seems like there is a lot of love for this one here...

Also, it works out more like £1050 (plus your DD2) and a year or so wait direct from Pete Cornish himself.

Honestly, it sounds like you're tone chasing when you already have a very decent pedal in the Delay 80's with you already. If a simple modded Boss pedal could hit the Cornish level, then TGP or Gassage round this forum would have detailed all of that by now. So ignoring everything with screens, it leaves you using what you have or paying through the nose for something you won't get for at least a year. 

Embrace da screens, bro. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GOBBLE said:
    Now now everything, let's not start brand bashing! The TES is the top of the tree sound wise as far as I'm concerned - I'm looking to hear from people who have found similar sounding alternatives. So far, it looks like the list is:

In direct comparison to the Cornish TES:

Providence Delays 80's - I can vouch for this as sounding very similar with big FAT repeats!
    Analogman / Keeley modded Boss DD2 - Interested in opinions of these.
    Free The Tone Flight Time - Seems like there is a lot of love for this one here...

Also, it works out more like £1050 (plus your DD2) and a year or so wait direct from Pete Cornish himself.

Honestly, it sounds like you're tone chasing when you already have a very decent pedal in the Delay 80's with you already. If a simple modded Boss pedal could hit the Cornish level, then TGP or Gassage round this forum would have detailed all of that by now. So ignoring everything with screens, it leaves you using what you have or paying through the nose for something you won't get for at least a year. 

Embrace da screens, bro. 

Good post. I don't know this forum too well as I'm new, but it sounds like some others may have already completed this journey for me?!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GOBBLE said:
    Good post. I don't know this forum too well as I'm new, but it sounds like some others may have already completed this journey for me?!
    You really should talk to Gassage. Any gear journey you have made, he's done twice already the previous month :)

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @gassage?! Help!!
  • I cannot believe that there is ANYTHING Pete Cornish can do to a DD2 to make it worth that much given that it's basically a digital delay with high end rolloff on the repeats
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30869
    1. TES are 1000 not 1800 2. They are incredible and very very good 3. Are there things as good? Well a 2290 is better for digital, and the flightime is close to the tes for sure. 4. Re the dd2 myth...the only thing he uses is the dd2 long chip, which is also found in many high end rack units. Inside, there's 2 PC buffers, parallel mixing and much tweaking and magic. A good analogy is saying I would never buy the R8 turbo as the turbo chargers are the same as on a TT (which they are). 5. I'd have another, for sure.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

You could buy a 2290 for digital and a Hiwatt tape echo for analog....1900 for the two...

• I think it is more than a grand now from all the talk on TGP. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Jack, depends on your specified options.

Google Gigrig great delay shoot out. We tested everything including the TES and 2290

• Gassage;851701" said:
    1. TES are 1000 not 1800

2. They are incredible and very very good

3. Are there things as good? Well a 2290 is better for digital, and the flightime is close to the tes for sure.

4. Re the dd2 myth...the only thing he uses is the dd2 long chip, which is also found in many high end rack units. Inside, there's 2 PC buffers, parallel mixing and much tweaking and magic. A good analogy is saying I would never buy the R8 turbo as the turbo chargers are the same as on a TT (which they are).

5. I'd have another, for sure.
    As far as I know, boss delays are already mixed in parallel - ie the clean signal remains completely unaffected and the delay signal is added as a parallel line. I stand to be corrected, mind.

He also uses the knobs and label from the dd2 by the looks of that tes above, but I think they're probably cheaper to source :)

I've never even seen one in the flesh. Rare beasts.
    @theprettydamned

the Mass St Pic is an old old TES.

This is the real one.

• Gassage;851767" said:
    @theprettydamned

the Mass St Pic is an old old TES.

This is the real one.
    Maybe the old one was, for all intents and purposes, a modded dd2. That new one quite obviously looks very very different indeed!

As I said, I can't comment tonally having never seen one. I've tried a korg sdd reissue, a providence and a dd20 in one sitting and the providence had the coolest set of sounds, but for my money the dd20 was the easiest to use and didn't sound "worse" - just fewer sounds, and therefore less useful.
    edited November 2015
    ^ having spent a day doing that demo:

Best Dig: 2290 by a mile
    Best Analog: Hiwatt Tape
    Allrounder: TES as does both about to 90% of the winners.
    Best Value: Chrono (amazing for the money)

Curio: my old MXR System II which is so characterful to this day

Worst:
    El Cap (I don't get them, sorry)
    Skrysdtrupt (which was mine- some fool bought it for a grand on eBay).

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Always wondered if you've ever had a dd20 and what you thought of it if so. @gassage
    Branshen said:
    Always wondered if you've ever had a dd20 and what you thought of it if so. @gassage
    No, but I lurve DD2 MIJ's.

if you want a TES beater for £400, buy a flight time and Analogman ADXR20

• @Branshen - Having tried both the TC2290 and owned and loved the DD20 I would honestly say that (if you like modulated delay or straight digital delay) if you said the TC was top of the tree at 100% then the DD20 is 90%+.  Yes, the TC2290 is better but nowhere near as much as the price difference.  Recently I toyed with the idea of getting a TC2290 as Gassage's is lush but actually thinking about it even if the prices were the same the I would probably opt for the functionality of the DD20 rather than having to incorporate a rack.

That Gigrig demo didn't even have a Replex in it so it was an epic fail before it even began.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom