Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Providence Delay 80's vs Modded DD2 vs Others

What's Hot

Comments

• philrob1philrob1 Frets: 21
    edited November 2015
    I tried @gassage 's 2290 for a day or so.

Exceptionally good delay, but for most peoples uses, it really is like using the Space Shuttle to go down the shops for milk.

The Cornish TES is very, very good at what it does, the Providence Delay 80s does a very similar thing for much less.

My advice - get the Flight Time. After using the 2290, I went back home and didnt feel like I was really missing much.

AC Headroom....yes, but thats for another thread.

I am on the list for a TES, Super Chorus and SuperFlanger.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Branshen said:

Found the video!
    That Skrydstrupruprupurpurupuskidmark sounds total balls
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30887
    ^ it is.

I bought off Charlie Chandler for 500, sold it for 990 though.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Branshen - Having tried both the TC2290 and owned and loved the DD20 I would honestly say that (if you like modulated delay or straight digital delay) if you said the TC was top of the tree at 100% then the DD20 is 90%+.  Yes, the TC2290 is better but nowhere near as much as the price difference.  Recently I toyed with the idea of getting a TC2290 as Gassage's is lush but actually thinking about it even if the prices were the same the I would probably opt for the functionality of the DD20 rather than having to incorporate a rack.

That Gigrig demo didn't even have a Replex in it so it was an epic fail before it even began.

no moog either or that maxon AD999 thingy
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    As I am in all likelihood going back mono, the only reason I'd not swapping the TC for an FT is basically I'd have to buy a new board as no more room on mine.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^ oh and the 2290 has more pretty lights on it. Marginally.

• a Mooer it is then James? Or a nice Rowin?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    And re the TES, for £1100-1200, a read out or tap tempo should be supplied.

• Wow - I went out for the evening, came back and this forum has gone wild! Thanks for all the thoughts. To sum up then, how about we all write our findings next to each of the delays in question below:

Cornish TES - Top of the tree for me. FATTEST repeats, highest headroom, best tonality.

Providence Delays 80's - Everything the TES is, minus about 10% (and minus the modulation).

Free The Tone Flight Time - I've never used one, but I hear it sounds amazing. Shame about the spaceship style controls...

Analogman / Keeley DD2 Mod - Never head them, but very interested to hear how people think these stack up against the TES!

T-Rex Replica / Reptile - Never used one...

Ok, GO!!
  • My findings are as follows -

No Memory Man, no Moog, no Replex, no Maxon, no standard Boss delay (at all),  no SDD3000 means 'The ULTIMATE Delay Shootout' my arse.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • My findings are as follows -

No Memory Man, no Moog, no Replex, no Maxon, no standard Boss delay (at all),  no SDD3000 means 'The ULTIMATE Delay Shootout' my arse.

no DMM and no BOSS given the popularity they have is frankly ridiculous. the others would be welcome, but can appreciate time is limited. 
  • What is it that makes repeats "fattest"? Are you looking for a delay where you can boost the bass of the repeats?

High headroom delays, I'm assuming you want to make sure the delay pedal doesn't clip your signal. If that's a concern and you're using a line level loop, then there are digitech hardwire pedals, the flight time, I think the dd500 too - all can accept line level signals without clipping.

Do you want clean repeats, or analogue style dirty ones, or fluttery washy tape style? Modulation on the repeats?

The analogman and Keeley modded dd2s and dd3s are, from what I've read about them in their own descriptions, modded to sound more like an analogue delay with dirtier, darker repeats that degrade as they go on.

Man, I love delay pedals... Seriously. I've just gotten into software delays and they're massively powerful.

Also, wisdom for @randomhandclaps.
  • GOBBLEGOBBLE Frets: 7
    edited November 2015
    Thoughts on these please guys?

Cornish TES -

Providence Delays 80's -

Free The Tone Flight Time -

Analogman / Keeley DD2 Mod - 

T-Rex Replica / Reptile -
  • GOBBLEGOBBLE Frets: 7
    edited November 2015
    Any of you wise peeps interested in filling out your summary thoughts on my previous post above?

Come on guys I want your final verdicts / opinions!
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    GavRichList;849829" said:
    I'd love it to be a hollow, empty metal box with a DD2 poked through a small hole in the top corner.
    Lol. I was thinking exactly that!
    GOBBLE said:
    Any of you wise peeps interested in filling out your summary thoughts on my previous post above?

Come on guys I want your final verdicts / opinions!

All are great options. Every one of them.

• If you've got the cash, get the TES. 

If you don't want to spunk away four figures on the TES, then you've got the Delay 80's and you could look for a Chrono. Nil time for the modded DD2 and DD3. Never played a Replica. 

I like menus and screens so I know what I'd buy :D

• My advice would be to NOT buy the TES; keep that kinda money for other GAS, or a brilliant amp.

The Flight Time had the sound closest to the TES, although I'm working form memory and not a direct A/B.
    The lack of knobs (oh er) on the FT was not to my own liking, but the sound was very '3D'.

I ultimately sold my FT, and replaced it with the less sexy, but VERY capable Boss DD500. The Boss could duplicate any sound I seemed to throw at it.

THE big money delay to buy, if you are desperate to spend money, is the Moog MF104. Full stop - the most unique delay there is.
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    It's good to see you posting on here @Wazmeister :)

• breadfan said:
    It's good to see you posting on here @Wazmeister :)
    Cheers mate - keep on keepin' on ;)